[A16] Colonists hating each other

Started by Torres, December 24, 2016, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torres

I'm mid-late game since a couple of years passed, my colony has gained enough value to trigger huge tribal raids.

One of those raids contained, by luck, at least half the relatives of half my colonists (yeah that's right) so now everyone is going berserk/bingewhatever and hating each other and starting social fights because Colonist 1 killed Colonist 2 mother, Colonist 3 killed Colonist's 6 aunt aaaand so on...

This should be a glitch of sorts right? a pyrrhic victory?

Calahan

Aren't pyrrhic victories an expected part of the storytelling? They vary in type of course, as you had a lot of berserk colonists for your troubles, whereas someone else might have had all their animals killed in exchange for their victory. So I'm pretty sure this is intended, and I'd take an educated guess that Tynan would be happy to hear that his storytelling system is working well by creating this sort of scenario.

Now whether or not this needs balancing is another issue entirely. I haven't experienced this particular scenario on the same scale you (just) have, but I can imagine a raid that included multiple family members could result in a lot of anger afterwards. So maybe a cap is required on how many family member can be involved in a raid. But then again maybe it's up the player to handle this. As the attackers could have been dealt with using traps/turrets/animals instead of the colonists taking up arms themselves. Or maybe they didn't need to be attacked at all, as after they had caused enough damage, and/or stolen enough stuff (which you could have "accidentally" left outside), they might have left satisfied with a profitable raid. And if the player didn't have any other way of dealing with the raiders, then it's on the player to have more options when it comes to raid defence.

I'll leave this open in case Tynan wants to add this to the list of balance issues he monitors feedback for. Although I can't see this being a bug, as it's a balance at best (but I'm not Tynan, so I can only guesstimate this).

Torres

I do in fact absolutely love this part of the game, I was just kinda annoyed two guys who've been living together for years suddenly started this mental episode because relatives attacked with the intend to kill and they had to defend themsevels.

I'd love to see a modified/less moody version, like in This War Of Mine where they understand it was a necessary evil to kill to survive. I keep playing the same save and 2 times I've seen the catharsis mood not being enough for a second mental break right after the first with all the dead relatives negative modifiers.

But you're absolutely right, the whole randomness is amazing... just need a bit wee of nerfing IMO.

Tynan

It is as intended, I'm afraid. Life's wild on the rim.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog