83 Solar Panels and no weapons

Started by BugPowderDust, December 26, 2016, 05:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Trying out the randomised scenario selector for the first time, I thought it would be fun and didn't pay too much attention to the fine detail (Cassandra, Rough)

...until my two colonists landed. No food (although I have eggs, I have no idea how many are consumed for a single meal), and no weapons. There are some raspberry bushes though, for the short term. And I have all the power I could ever want.

First priority, weapons > sustainable food source. This could be tricky. Even a one man raid with a club could be awkward

I'll update with progress or lack thereof...

BugPowderDust

Electricity flowing to batteries, freezer up and almost finishing researching Smithing.

A wanderer, Rhiadra, joins us. What she lacks in clothes (just an armour vest, they didn't ask why she was naked. Plenty of fixed eye contact), she made up for in weapons, bringing a slate club with her.

This proved very useful, as, shortly after, we had a 'raid' from a passing chancer. She quickly got knocked out by the three of them. Time for a makeshift prison and some brainwashing.

cultist

I think you should make the goal of this playthrough to fill all the sarcophagi with enemy corpses.

Thyme

I don't think that would take that long.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

BugPowderDust

That's a nice thought, but they are spread so far apart!

So, Rhiadra proved to be a pain in the backside, she had 'issues', and kept breaking. The last straw was her flipping out, attacking 2 prisoners, then killing some poor hapless boars outside the prison. She was beaten to death by the rest of the colonists.

On the plus side, Inna decided to join us, and although she can't actually do much, she does what she can with gusto.

Slowly but surely, we got a wood burning Smithy up, and fashioned a few bows. Fish spent all her time with her head in the research archives, and started on a machining table. We needed guns....lots of guns.

Meanwhile, Summer was fast running out. We had another raid, they kindly brought us a survival rifle and then died. Despite a heatwave, the colonists hunted animals as fast as possible with the new weapons, and soon our cold room was filling up. We belatedly planted some crops, but they died in a weird cold-snap following the heatwave, then Fall began.

Having all the power we want is really useful for heating/cooling, and takes the pressure off having to research Geothermal. We are now going for gun turrets and getting enough stone blocks to set up a perimeter.

The machining table is now up, we quickly made another survival rifle, and a machine pistol for some up-close nastiness. Next we'll be churning out Assault Rifles, but we need to make sure we have enough food before we go mining.

Although, we have a major problem. We have no silver, and no medicine. And its snowing, so we can't grow any. This could bite us in the arse over the long winter....

HeroGabe

At least you have a free freezer until the end of winter. :D

BugPowderDust

Winter has kicked in hard, and we had colonists come and go. A wanderer turned up, Gerador, then his wife, Ulyanna, turned up in a raid. She was downed and captured, and ended up joining the colony to be with her husband.

Research went well, we had two turrets up before bad luck befell us. We suffered a solar flare, which shut down our turrets, followed immediately by a raid. We got banged up hard, people were injured, got infected, and we had no medicine to deal with the ravages of the illnesses. Unfortunately, Ulyanna died to infection, and Gerador hasn't been the same since, going berserk from grief almost constantly. We don't really know what to do with him.

Meanwhile, food has run out, we had to eat our tame wolf who died in the most recent raid- this spared us the awfulness of having to eat a pet. However we caught a break and a passing Muffalo herd provided us with some meat for now. We have also set up an indoors greenhouse of sorts, to grow rice and potatoes.

Of course- having 80+ solar panels lead us to get blase about power, not thinking that diversifying would be a good thing (not that we have much metal to find, although deconstructing solar panels has been useful, if not self-defeating).... it was only when we had a short circuit just as the sun fell, we realised that dark plus drained batteries was a recipe for disaster. The base plunged to about -25 as the heating shut down, and our greenhouse ended up being useless. All the crops died.

So, we're currently in a position where we need to get metal to build a couple of wind generators, research geothermal, and build a comms desk to talk to passing spaceships in order to trade for medicine. We are getting barely any passing traders on foot now the winter has bitten.

The struggle continues- we can't wait until spring.

BugPowderDust

Quote from: HeroGabe on January 02, 2017, 08:19:04 AM
At least you have a free freezer until the end of winter. :D

True, I have just built one as you can see in the picture! The current freezer unit's exhaust is heating our indoor greenhouse!

Thyme

I never place a freezer next to a heated room. Either an unheated room or thicker walls have to go inbetween, otherwise you'll just move heat around.

BugPowderDust

Fair comment, I just hate wasting the exhaust heat in the winter  :)

Thyme

Yes, but your freezer is adjacent to three heated rooms instead of the neccessary one.

BugPowderDust

Yes, I know, it was just developed that way organically. It's not ideal, no.

When I get a break, I'll be reorientating, but my to-do list is pretty vast at the moment, and the freezer is low-down on that.

BugPowderDust

So, the colony is almost dead.

We survived the first winter, barely, and then spring came and along with it, a Toxic Cloud. Fortunately we had our greenhouse to keep us barely alive.

Once summer came, we were going places. We had 11 colonists, and then, one day, we got a call from someone being chased by tribals. We offered to assist, and braced for impact. Only 8 of our colonists would fight,and we face about 15 tribals.

Ironically, the man we were fighting for, got killed in the fight. The only casualty. The tribals must've been carrying the plague, as 4 of our colonists immediately contracted it. They died soon after.

That put us on the back foot, and a couple of mental breaks later, we are in a situation where we now have a volcanic ash cloud, and manhunting elks outside. Two of our broken colonists go outside and get knocked down, one after starting many fires. One drags himself back inside.

We have 3 unbroken colonists left, one of whom has no left arm or leg (separate incidents). Unless we get a peaceful week to recover, we are done.