Why do we have to capture and convince people to join when they crash land?

Started by SwiftShadow, December 26, 2016, 07:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftShadow

I feel like if you rescue them there should simply be a HIGH chance that they join ur colony. I mean they just crash landed on a remote planet all alone, with no food, no weapons, no place to call home. They should be asking me to join the colony and i decide to accept or send them away.

I just had someone crash land near me who is the wife of one of my colonists..... had the husband CAPTURE her and now he husband is trying to convince her to join the colony (with a 2-3% chance), like wtf lol. And bear in mind that  it is winter currently with a -15celcius to -20 celsius so she has no place to go, no food, no weapons, some bare bones clothes, her husband is in the colony, but NOOOO i dont want to join.

Mkok

Anomaly

I had the same scenario my first play through only my colonist rescued his wife.  I expected a touching reunion and a nice mood boost.

As soon as she was able to walk she hobbled, still injured, out of my colony and off the map. No place to go, no weapons and only a tattered shirt for clothing.

Proxava

If you rescue them they'll join your colony with a high probability.

I tested it out at dev mode with 6 refugee pod crashes and 4 joined my colony after I processed a medical treatment on them.
Have a look at my QoL mod!

milon

Rescue = treat & release
Capture = arrest (with possibility of recruitment)

There are no other options.

Jarwy

Quote from: Proxava on December 26, 2016, 08:47:00 AM

I tested it out at dev mode with 6 refugee pod crashes and 4 joined my colony after I processed a medical treatment on them.

Quote from: milon on December 26, 2016, 10:38:39 AM
Rescue = treat & release

So which one is it? I have personally never had anyone join my colony after rescue, but I'm notoriously unlucky.

MikeLemmer

It was the latter in A15, it's now the former in A16. In A16, you can now rescue escape pod survivors; they have a very high chance of joining your colony afterwards.

The change was minor and not advertised well, hence why players still think you have to capture them.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 26, 2016, 01:01:16 PM
It was the latter in A15, it's now the former in A16. In A16, you can now rescue escape pod survivors; they have a very high chance of joining your colony afterwards.

The change was minor and not advertised well, hence why players still think you have to capture them.

If you 100% want them, you do still have to capture them correct? There is only a chance if you just rescue them if I am reading the other posts correctly.

I suppose you could rescue them, and if they don't join, you could just arrest them at that point.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Jarwy on December 26, 2016, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: Proxava on December 26, 2016, 08:47:00 AM

Quote from: milon on December 26, 2016, 10:38:39 AM
Rescue = treat & release

So which one is it? I have personally never had anyone join my colony after rescue, but I'm notoriously unlucky.

Rescue has a chance of them joining your colony as of Alpha 16.

The chance increases the more hostile the environment is. If there's no way they'll survive by themselves (e.g. very cold or very hot weather, toxic fallout), they'll almost always join. I've personally had 3 people join this way.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Jarwy

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 26, 2016, 01:43:37 PM
Rescue has a chance of them joining your colony as of Alpha 16.

The chance increases the more hostile the environment is. If there's no way they'll survive by themselves (e.g. very cold or very hot weather, toxic fallout), they'll almost always join. I've personally had 3 people join this way.

Makes sense.

My first and current A16 colony is in temperate forest and the two people I have rescued so far have decided to walk off after using 5 and 3 medicine respectively not to mention numerous fine meals. Herbal medicine seems to be reserves for scrathes and long term medication for how little it does nowadays. I believed they couldn't have survived without actual medicine.

Shurp

So rescuing people for medical experience with the intent to release is no longer viable, as there is a risk some twit will try to join your colony.

Letting them bleed to death is definitely the best practice now provided they're not located near your base where your colonists risk walking by their rotting corpses later on.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jasroc

Quote from: Shurp on December 26, 2016, 03:09:21 PM
So rescuing people for medical experience with the intent to release is no longer viable, as there is a risk some twit will try to join your colony.

After they have been rescued and healed, they will ask to join. At that point you are free to tell them to get lost with no repercussions.

Bozobub

Quote from: Shurp on December 26, 2016, 03:09:21 PM

Letting them bleed to death is definitely the best practice now provided they're not located near your base where your colonists risk walking by their rotting corpses later on.
Um, whut?  Just capture them instead.  You can still treat them, then simply release them as normal.  The auto-join % is enabled only if you never capture them in the 1st place.
Thanks, belgord!

Zhentar

Quote from: jasroc on December 26, 2016, 03:28:09 PM
After they have been rescued and healed, they will ask to join. At that point you are free to tell them to get lost with no repercussions.

That would be Hospitality, I believe. Core does not give you an option.

Limdood

Quote from: Zhentar on December 26, 2016, 07:01:11 PM
Quote from: jasroc on December 26, 2016, 03:28:09 PM

That would be Hospitality, I believe. Core does not give you an option.
correct.  no option without hospitality