Two tiers of construction

Started by Sola, December 26, 2016, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sola

You know when you're building eight rooms at once, and you'd like to have everyone help build the walls, floors, and power conduits, but only have your 15-in-construction-superstar make all the furniture?

I'd like for there to be two levels of construction to remedy this situation.

For walls, deadfall traps, repairing, and other mass-produced things that don't have a quality assigned to them upon completion, we can use the existing "construction" tab.

For beds, tables, pool tables, generators, and other expensive/quality items, we could use another work tab, like "carpentry" or "craftsmanship" or something.  I'd like to separate these two categories to avoid stilted scenarios like "build everything, but force this guy to work on this project and hope that some other dude doesn't come do it before you click him" or "build JUST the rooms, wait for them to finish, THEN queue up furniture".
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

schizmo

Based on the title I thought this was gonna be another thread about Z depth! Glad it's not.

I've been thinking the same thing for some time, it has always been somewhat frustrating to me. I like this suggestion.

SilentP

I know there was a mod in A15 that allowed for this.  Essentially your good constructor would do furniture while the "apprentices" would do walls, floors, etc.

ArguedPiano

The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Sola

Sounds like this should probably be included in the main game.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

bills6693

Quality Builder is perfect for this and yeah, should be in the base game.

Another one you may want to look at is 'hand me that brick'. It makes haulers take resources to constructions. This is super handy as anyone can haul and it means you only assign good builders to construction, thereby having the people who actually do the building just go along the wall/rooms really quick while everyone else is bringing the stuff to them. Also reduces the wastage from failed building attempts.

SpaceDorf

I like this suggestion, but I prefer the cut between low tech and high tech.

Keep "Construction" for Masonry, Carpentry, hands on jobs
and add
"Engineer" for everything involving Electronics and High Tech. i.e. Building Solar Panels, Turrets, doing Repairs and constructing Weapons.
This would also free up the Crafting skill for the more hand on jobs like Tailoring, Smelting, Blocks
because the Skill is pretty cluttered with work at the moment.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.