Warn Player of Potential Drop Pod Inaccuracy

Started by Didact04, December 26, 2016, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

When you're talking about physics it makes sense. The pods launch themselves through the air at nuts speeds and suicide burn to a halt at the last possible second in the general vicinity of the landing zone. Maneuvering thrusters mean that the pods can stay together as a group with minimal variation, but you're launching a ball of metal out of a big gun at potentially extreme distances. Even if you only fire one, it won't land exactly where you tell it, just because of inaccuracies in calculation and minimal variations in air patterns scewing the numbers slightly.

I happen to play a lot of space and physics-based game, so I halfway expected the single lone to not land where I clicked, but a few tiles off - straight through a roof and seriously damaging some equipment, but I was still not warned, and it came as something of a surprise despite knowing the potential for such.

I feel like it would be prudent to at least give a special popup warning a player activating theirs for the first time that there could be some error, and prompt them to double check that the landing zone has enough clearance to make up for any inaccuracy from the launcher.

Given the option of fixing three to eight holes in the roof and having to replace some appliances, I think most players would appreciate a note of caution.

That is all.