Camping up while traveling

Started by Kuunnn, December 26, 2016, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuunnn

With the new traveling system in the game, I came up with some idea's:

- A completely stationary mode that you have to manage yourself
- Tents (sleeping bags, small stoves, floors, stakes, and ceiling)
- Building roads

Let me explain these idea's further:

The new stationary mode is meant to keep in touch with your caravans. I much to often find myself sending a caravan and just forgetting about it until they arrive or get ambushed.
The new stationary mode is lets you macro and micro manage your caravan even more. You have to decide when your caravan stays on its place, and when it is on the move. Letting your caravan be in stationary mode is like an ambush map.
You can let your caravan be in stationary mode when they have to sleep or when they have to gather food(harvesting berries or hunting). You can build your place to sleep, or if you have wounded who need treatment.
You can decide to let your caravan move in the darkness and stay put on day time. Ambushes are less likely to occur at night, but your caravan will also move slower. Note that sleep still works the same, your caravan still needs the same amount of sleep.

With this mode, you also need some new items:

That is why I think one of the most needed item for that mode is a tent and sleeping bags.
A tent is made of at least 1 stake and tent curtains as walls.
Advantages of these items are that you don't need to deconstruct it when going to move again and that constructing and putting it away costs much less time, but disadvantages are that it is expensive and you need way more stakes per square to keep your tent up(you can have one stone wall every 100 or so squares to keep your roof supported, but you will need one stake for every 9 squares to keep your roof supported). One downside also is that it will bring your temperature slightly to 22 degrees passively, but making Air Conditioning and camp fires are not allowed(since cutting a hole in a tent to put ac in is not going to work and, well the campfire for obvious fire reasons). This will make it a valuable item for moving caravans, but not for settlements.
Sleeping bags are for the same reasons: You don't need to deconstruct, but just fold it up and lay it down.
Same goes with a small stove. You can just put it down and pick it up when you are done. One small penalty is that food is of a slight lower quality and it takes longer.

What all these three items also have in common is that it takes very little space in your characters inventory. This is beneficial because you can take more food or loot with you.

This was my major idea, but I have one small idea. I find myself traveling a lot to a set neighboring faction to trade. What roads allow is a faster way of traveling to certain tiles. Roads can be made of stone or just smoothing the way like the "smooth floor" button under the "floor" menu. Stone requires you to bring stone with your worker/worker group(yes you can decide how big the group of workers will be), but it will make you travel even faster than just smoothing the road. Forests, mountains and deserts will take a little longer to build.

These were my idea's! Let me know if you like them or not, but at least say it nice if you don't like it. I would love to hear your feedback!

TL:DR
A more dynamic approach to traveling with new items for that.
Roads to travel faster than usual, but taking time to build.