[1.0] Human Storyteller (0.1.0) Wanted: Story writers (& guinea pigs)

Started by Niek1414, April 07, 2019, 05:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niek1414

Human Storyteller

Description:
I made a mod that allows to create stories and for others to play those stories.
To make the mod more accessible it would be cool to have some initial content. (Its also not testes very well ;P)
So i would love to welcome some story writers and other interested folk to my discord server before releasing it for real.
(https://discord.gg/auDTBCz)

How it works
The mod has two parts to it:

Story creator
This is a website i made on which stories can be uploaded to the global storybook (server).
I made an example story that looks like this:

And when a story node/event is selected a range of options can be changed.
Every event has its own options!

Every event can also split the storyline using a condition (think like amount of colonists > 5)
There is also a variable system in place & every node can also contain a custom message

Storyteller
The game mod itself. Plays the selected story and keeps track of its state.
Also allows the player to vote on the story.

The storyteller synchronizes the story every selected interval (minimal is 2 minutes).
So someone can create a story that is played out in real time by others!

Download
Download link in the discord (https://discord.gg/auDTBCz)
*Just in case it gets to popular (expect the unexpected right?), i want to have the people with the mod in discord so i can get some feedback until ill release it as direct download link here & on steam.

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
- Create a new game and select the new storyteller (with the very temporary image).
- Select the story you want to play. (Are retrieved from the server so may take a sec)
- Have fun!

Notes
-While its not needed to own Rimworld on steam, you will need a steam account to login on the story creator site.

ZarZuf

This seems very promising.
I'll definitely need to try this next time I have time.

+10 for the idea :)

Chesssx

Seems like this could be a good idea, but could it really be executed well? It wouldn't be much of a human storyteller, just people making storytellers.
Remember that enemies get turned into hats, colonists get turned into chemfuel unless they are a pyro then they get to burn alive.

Niek1414

Quote from: Chesssx on April 07, 2019, 01:04:18 PM
Seems like this could be a good idea, but could it really be executed well?
No clue :D

Quote from: Chesssx on April 07, 2019, 01:04:18 PM
It wouldn't be much of a human storyteller, just people making storytellers.
People making stories are humans :D
Think i don't get it, is this a comment on the name or the process :P
For clarification: the mod creates a storyteller that lets people select a story from the server.

kaptain_kavern

You mean we now can add GM in our narrative game play?

Oh man this a nice mod and idea you've got there :-)

Give that man a Yorkshire Cowboy Hat and a beer, please!

Lex Silvas

Dude you're a genious. Mods like this make the game more fun to play with. Play with my own storyteller is a dream come true. Thanks mate! ;) ;) ;)
XoXo

Kori

Storylines in Rimworld? This will be a must have mod for me!

Niek1414

New update: "Quester"! (0.1.0)

New events:
    - Quest, create map quests (with 22 properties :D)
    - Trade request, customise reward & requested items
    - Create settlement, speaks for itself

Edited events:
    - Wild man, now has a gender option
    - Raid, now has a amount option

New checks:
    - Colonies, check how much colonies a player has
    - Colonists on map, checks how much colonists are on a specific map
    - Created map, check if quest/settlement maps are generated so that events can be fires on these

Features:
    - More map control, allows to select what map event should fire on
    - Improved letter, adds instant show option on letters
    - Example in editor loadable

Current status:
    - 51 events
    - 18 checks
    - and very much still alpha ;P

Backwards compatible:
    Yes

Next update:
    "Controller"

Kori

ambivalence

hey there!

this mod has been resurrected with the power of crowdfunding and now supports current 1.4 version! however, we have big plans on updating this beast even further and making it much more popular.

with your help it will support custom objects and events from other mods! it will finally become a framework for others to construct real stories.

for now, it still works with its own website allowing you to create a story with no additional knowledge (just check it out, it's totally awesome), and the story file will be saved on the server side. we are planning to change this, so you could do this locally on your machine, with a separate app recognizing all the mods you have (and publish it on steam workshop so everyone could experience the story you've made).

also, DLC support is coming soon! new event types, new ideas for storylines! and many more other things.

any donates are welcome, as the original developer don't have time to update it any further. we, as believers, have hired a dev to help us. also, you may want to know that it's going open source soon and we're looking for a maintainer.

please, note that the version described here is very early one (0.1.0). it was updated by the original dev since then, so it's a lot more advanced mod than you think (the updated version had 0.6.0 numbers, just for reference; see the discord channel for the update notes).

JOIN (this is the original discord link, the same as in the first post).