Direction Ideas

Started by Mattx0x, December 26, 2016, 11:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattx0x

Many good suggestions already on the suggestions board I am certain. I know the suggestions board is the last place I would go if I was on the development team of anything moderately successful but whatever. Here are my current 200 cents (somewhat including my current gripes with the game's overall goal. I feel many of these ideas in my vision could be implemented in a simple and easy way by circumventing an issue, or much more complex way by adding much more content.

• Add more variety to incidents - they are currently too repetitive and add nothing to the story. They should be less frequent and follow a set path of stages co-operating with the game director like ongoing missions, instead of a single event, every time. I would prefer if early game was simple, but as time passes, and your wealth and civilian count rises (or if it was already high) you are much more liable to encounter or seek out increasingly more risky events and factions to be dealt with at the behest of the player.
My guess on when this could be done by: A21

• Change Cargopod(s) to an entity that must be interacted with to expose its contents (minimum 3 qualities; Crashed Wreckage/Lost Cargo/Alien Cache with appropriate loot tables) following either it's descent, or crash at your colony or tribe. Additionally, there is equal chance they may also be found while traversing or mining depending on planet type and biome, with some such as glaciers likely to contain caches of useful gear frozen under the ice for many years.

• More Complex ending While I appreciate that the game at least has an ending (with an awesome soundtrack too, I might add) it feels to me like the ending of the game is missing something. I suggest that there simply be something to keep the player motivated towards an end-goal secondary to building or reaching the spaceship, such as planetary domination, using your colony forces, and maybe spaceships too, if integration of such a moving structure could work as a vehicle, like a giant reusable drop pod to travel around the planet or to others.
My guess on when this could be done by: A28

• Tweak Research Research has already been tweaked in A16, because I think it's already fairly clear it lacks something. In all my playtime I have never once felt like research was anything more than a waste of time, and the new system does not change that unfortunately. There is already a mod (from the megamodpack creator Skyarkhangel themselves no less) that reverts it back to it's old system, which makes it much easier to choose (when running mods that add research, which is alot, for balancing purposes). So what can be done? I suggest combining both the old and the new. Several columns would span downwards, from left to right, each it's own tree. This gives a more visually appealing way of both viewing the entire tree and also in directing the current column of research. This is also potentially useful for modders who are savvy enough to code their mods so that their placement corresponds with an appropriate column, or create their own new column. as you progress down the tree, each column is of course tiered and when all research available in a tech level is completed and you finish the next, you advance to the next stage; eg Neolithic to Industrial
My guess on when this could be done by: A26

• Tweak World Generation - Give more option to the player (show sliders for how many/density of each faction to include on map. (also draws from mod faction pool to list) IMO it makes no sense in Rimworld to have the populated map that it does by default. I suggest a reduction in the number of factions settled in the world and furthermore an increase in variety in each that has a system that creates each faction's personality, which would vary on whether the faction was tribal, a colony, or a spacer. The Personality you have is linear for tribes and more complex for advanced factions (A tribe you encounter might be peaceful, warlike, or whimsical. Spacers and other more advanced factions would have a more businesslike and faceless approach, while modestly developed factions are somewhere in-between) There would be strengths and weaknesses to interacting with each, with faction bureaucracy and economy scores having an influence on their position.
My guess on when this could be done by: A22

• Planet Types following the aforementioned advancements in Alpha 16 which now allow you to adjust rainfall and biome distribution, I propose more more diversity in planet conditions allowing extra interesting content, and we have seen from the Mars mod uploaded by Dubwise56 (which I have not played but looks excellent) that atmospheric coding is possible- opening up a door to advanced players to add game-changing features by way of alien planets (oxygen/gravity/alien biomes/exclusive tech/rock density/Alien factions and enemies. Forget endless biome diversity, it's about fun emergent gameplay.
My guess on when this could be done by: A35

• Extra Races Exotic races should maybe inhabit the Rimworld universe, or be available to trade with from outer space. Factions and tribes would feel a lot more unique this way and I would imagine if it's in the realm of possibility that it's expected some time from now, following the regular human improvements first.
My guess on when this could be done by: Probably never!

• Robots/Droids accompanying the crashed survivors or space-tribe could be robust, slow-moving droids with a simplistic personality and focused skill-set to aid their survival by performing labor intensive tasks and freeing up your colonists time. More complex versions are also able to be built, should you be able to afford the cost and maintenance required to acquire and keep them running. Endgame droids could include a auto-doctor and advanced androids or synths with their own personalities, with the potential to increase tension within your colony, especially if you have enough of them making your colonists feel threatened or jealous.
My guess on when this could be done by: A27

• Children it's a big one and I know it is already in the works and I am presuming the system works through the relationships mechanic. Not only does having children be possible in the game enable increasing population counts in an immersive way instead of dropping randomly out the sky, but it opens discussion for potential ways to advance the future of the colony and producing it's own people. I have already discussed robotic means of adding workforce, so why not cloning vats or other direct intervention as high-tech alternative. This system would make it possible for the player themselves to have say in the who, how and why of their colony's offspring, and then dealing with the consequences. 
My guess on when this could be done by: A17 (..maybe..)

• Water Flowing water that can flow, be harnessed and collected. This would take a lot of work to get working as i'm sure there is a lot that break the game without the work to prevent it. However, water is incredibly important and obvious choice for improving the game. It should already be supported, first for thirst reasons, but also as cooking and crafting ingredients and generating electricity. It wouldn't feel right for me though unless the water has at least limited physics like DF or Minecraft which also have Z levels.
My guess on when this could be done by: A29

• Z levels You've heard it a thousand times I know. More than likely has already sat on the 'maybe' list of features for much time, Z levels would add fantastic things to the game by way of increasing the dynamics of base building ten fold. I of course acknowledge that performance and development time is undoubtedly the issue with this one, and getting pathfinding and shooting to line up correctly. We have seen that Z levels have been already added though in a proof-of-concept sense, if you consider the ground penetrating scanner/deep drill. I can only hope this is the beginning of something much greater, as the potential for underground biomes, new enemies, flying objects and generally adding a whole new dimension to the game would be oh so excellent.
My guess on when this could be done by: A32

• Hauling Improvements Way too much of my own Colonists time has been spent moving rocks one-by-one from their planned mountain home to half a mile away at the local dumping ground. This has to be stopped. Rocks could be destroyed by destroying them into dust, slightly raising your Colonist's combat skills and additionally, backpacks could be equipped and other devices such as a trolly could be interacted and dragged with the pawn to increase carrying capacity stack size and ease large-scale hauling operations.
My guess on when this could be done by: A25

• Vehicles Undeniably questionable to implement, the usefulness of vehicles would be a good addition to the game,  especially should it ever (and I personally think it should) support large populations of your far reaching civilization. From the humble Wagon to the armored personnel carrier they would be costly to build and maintain but provide comfort, safety and speed to the transport of goods and people around the map and world.
My guess on when this will be done by: Probably never!

• Sell Colony/Switch planet Similarly to how other games let you abandon your current game and start a new one with a head-start by taking your wealth with you, it would be nice to be able to cut your losses and start again, and also cool to be able to transfer seasoned colonists to a new land, and taking a percentage of your precious goods with you. If your technology is advanced enough you could construct one or several spaceships to pack up, leave and crash on another planet. I understand the game already has an abandon feature, but I have not tested it as Tynan did not recommend having more than one colony at a time.

• Colony hospitality As I'm sure we have all seen from the successful mod by Orion, Players enjoy having the appropriate facilities in their colonies to accommodate passing visitors and traders with comfort and then being rewarded for their support. I think since visitors already feel it's okay to show up randomly to eat at nearby tables in my colony they may as well use my beds and reward me with a little silver or relationship bonus for the effort.

• Furniture improvements Wood/Chain-link fences, Linkable tables/chairs, double/triple door sprites, shelves (that allow for increased storage in the same space), windows, shackles, and cupboards are just a few of the items that the player could use to improve their base builds. Many mods already feature these and more, yet little has been added by the actual development team despite their relative simplicity.

• Apparel improvements Following the previous point, Aparello by Shinzy is yet another shoutout to a mod that adds variety with functionality to the players game. While it's easy for pointless diversity to get out of hand, I find myself feeling it adds a great deal of personality and eye-candy to the people of Rimworld. I would would prefer proper implementation to be done in a more progressive way that avoids being confused by having too many workshop tables for clothing and weapons.

• Re-do the bills system The bills system is great, but not good enough. A little sorting would go a long way. Instead of a list of 10 items on the bills menu it could instead be Bills -> Type -> Tribal Mask (with item sprite and stats) -> Material -> Do X. While this sounds overly complicated on paper, I would rather click a few times and be happy than stare at a list not sure what I want for ages.
My guess on when this could be done by: A24

• Old-school preservation By air cooled shelving, Ice boxes or chemical reaction, partial refrigeration should be possible without electricity from the start to prevent food poisoning and enable reliable storage

• Improved AI It would make sense that the above suggestions rely on a working of the pawn ai system to be smart enough.
    Pawns should obey a hierarchy system secondary to what the player has set and have basic understanding of their own skills and expected place within their society- in other words they know if they are a bad doctor or a good fighter, will act accordingly, switching work on the fly to free up time for the more experienced pawns, a doctor may stop the auto-hauling job he just started to tend to someone nearby for example. It should be calculated based on distance so that the colony functions as a co-operative hive and aim for maximum efficiency.
    Pawns should be smart enough to know that they have extra slots which they can use to carry things such as a sidearm pistol to defend themselves as and as well as a pickaxe; and then know to equip the pickaxe when mining.
    Pawns should be able to take care of their needs better, for example using designated bathrooms if available (which keeps their environment clean). Pawns should remember recent distance traveled and pick up and carry enough food around so that they are able to eat immediately when hungry if appropriate for the situation.
    Pawns should be able to attempt doctoring on themselves at a penalty and also they should be able to perform life saving techniques on themselves provided they are not being suppressed by gunfire. Pawns who are downed will sometimes crawl to safety, and if a sidearm is in their inventory they will use it. 
My guess on when this could be done by: A26

• Misc Guitar that can be carried and played for joy and at parties, nearby pawns will listen or dance if they like what they hear. Deck of cards that can be carried used for joy, and if at a table, used to play card game (single or group)
    My guess on when this could be done by: A20

I think I will leave it there for tonight. I tend not to post, but I thought I'd just throw my posts out there for once. I'd appreciate feedback on what you think of my ideas. I'm willing to get my feet wet modding myself, if anyone can point me in the direction of a nice way to start learning .xml so I can get a feel for how the game is actually built, and what is within the realm of possibility. Let me know what you think.

schizmo

Many of these suggestions have been discussed before and have more or less been given a "no" by tynan or the community, but one in particular that I've never seen would be the drop pods. I don't think it's a good idea for them to remain closed, as it would allow players free items with no risk or sense of urgency. When a drop pod breaks open and food sits out in the open during a fallout event where your colony is starving, there is a real and immediate sense of urgency to brave the fallout and risk toxic exposure to get the much needed food before it decomposes in the harsh environment. A sealed cargo pod would allow the player to take their time an choose leisurely when to deal with cargo, and to my mind that removes the risk involved and makes them pure gifts.

I also don't know why you tried to estimate when these things could be implented, that seems arbitrary at best.

I like the idea of robots but I feel that is Glitterworld tech so in my opinion robots should need to be purchased from exotic traders like any other advanced tech. Still, robots or advanced computer structures would be a nice addition to the game.

werz

Quote from: Mattx0x on December 26, 2016, 11:52:18 PM
  • Sell Colony/Switch planet Similarly to how other games let you abandon your current game and start a new one with a head-start by taking your wealth with you, it would be nice to be able to cut your losses and start again, and also cool to be able to transfer seasoned colonists to a new land, and taking a percentage of your precious goods with you. If your technology is advanced enough you could construct one or several spaceships to pack up, leave and crash on another planet. I understand the game already has an abandon feature, but I have not tested it as Tynan did not recommend having more than one colony at a time.

In fact, abandoning a base is the way to avoid having more than one colony at a time. You create a caravan with what you want to take, leave, abandon your base, then settle in another place. You can already pack up and move for a fresh start without breaking Tynans recommendation, but not with a ship.