(A16) (Minor) Corn and Grass on Same Tile

Started by Pushover, December 27, 2016, 01:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushover

I have a tile where both corn and grass are on the same square.

I would expect that grass and corn do not grow on the same square, as you clear the grass when you plant the corn, and grass does not usually grow on corn.

Just noticed it, not sure how to reproduce.

Save and log attached.

Screenshot:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198049739831/screenshot/112986234429638758

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report, and especially for the full compliment of screenshot, save game, and log file. Gold star reporting that! :)

I loaded your save and can confirm the curious multi-grow tile. Certainly never seen that before, although trying to reproduce it by cutting the corn plant and then re-sowing it sees the Pawn cutting the grass before sowing as expected.

My guess is this will be classed as a one-off minor (unreproducible) glitch [edit] likely out-of-date, and my new (stolen) guess, thanks to Pushover's post below, is that this might be a bug with the new/tweaked grass growing mechanics [/edit]. But it certainly happened once in your game, so maybe it happens more often but players don't notice it. Since you'd have to be both looking out for it, and then report it if you saw it, and I suspect a lot of players wouldn't report something like this if it didn't affect the gameplay.

Pushover

I'm not too familiar with the new mechanics of how grass grows (I don't see the visible grass seeds anymore...), but my guess was that the pawn cut the grass, started planting, and in that short window after the grass is cleared, but before the corn is planted, grass started to grow on that tile. Should be rare and non-gameplay affecting, aside from a tiny amount of time spent when replanting next time.

Calahan

Ah yes, the grass growing mechanics were changed/tweaked in A16 weren't they. That's a good point that. In which case I think that increases the chance of this being a reproducible bug (with the new mechanics) rather than a one-off glitch (with the old mechanics). And your proposed sequence of events looks like a pretty good theory at the moment.

davidrs4

I will try to find a save but can confirm I have seen this behavior as well.  I had a corn area that was allowed to go fallow (harvested and not replanted immediately).  The grass grew into this area and then I set the work priority of plant to 1 for a few pawns.  After awhile I noticed the same effect.  This was with no mods. 

ison

Quote from: Pushover on December 27, 2016, 05:04:00 AM
I'm not too familiar with the new mechanics of how grass grows (I don't see the visible grass seeds anymore...), but my guess was that the pawn cut the grass, started planting, and in that short window after the grass is cleared, but before the corn is planted, grass started to grow on that tile. Should be rare and non-gameplay affecting, aside from a tiny amount of time spent when replanting next time.

Ok, I've fixed this case. Thanks everyone.