Excess items

Started by SilentP, December 27, 2016, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentP

I think I have a hording problem.  As I play games, my warehouse buildings seem to get bigger and bigger.  I now have two giant caverns (20 x 20) chock full of... junk.

Stone blocks, leather, cloth, doobies, old guns, blood stained clothes.  I seem to be collecting it faster than I can sell it to the various caravans and ships that come by.  I even routinely call my neighbors to come by for a garage sale.

Anyone else have these issues?  I mean, it's just too good to throw away.  ;D

Serenity

Stack sizes are a bit too low, so you do need tons of space. I sell old junk though or burn it in the crematorium. Leather I don't need also gets sold.

OFWG

Quote from: SilentP on December 27, 2016, 12:07:46 PM
I think I have a hording problem.  As I play games, my warehouse buildings seem to get bigger and bigger.  I now have two giant caverns (20 x 20) chock full of... junk.

Stone blocks, leather, cloth, doobies, old guns, blood stained clothes.  I seem to be collecting it faster than I can sell it to the various caravans and ships that come by.  I even routinely call my neighbors to come by for a garage sale.

Anyone else have these issues?  I mean, it's just too good to throw away.  ;D

Yep, I'm a hoarder as well. Equipment racks as far as the eye can see, all stuffed with absolute junk weapons that the raiders dropped. Can't get rid of them, I might get a new colonist and have to arm them on short notice!
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Hieronymous Alloy

I've had to teach myself to constantly call trade caravans to sell off my extra stuff. If I don't my stockpiles get clogged and the whole fort locks up. First bulk traders, then exotics.

I've even been building a lot of furniture out of silver to use up the extra and clear space.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Catastrophy

A stockpile size mod is one of the few changes I'm using when playing. It's not perfect, since you may want SOME stockpiles to be small. For the rest like apparel and weppens: Smeltables go in the smelter - deadman apparel goes in incinerator.

Serenity

Quote from: Catastrophy on December 28, 2016, 06:13:41 AM
A stockpile size mod is one of the few changes I'm using when playing. It's not perfect, since you may want SOME stockpiles to be small.
There is a nice mod for that now:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28653.0

Allows you to set different stack sizes by item type

Catastrophy

:-*

Thanks, I'm gonna try this.

Shurp

Quote from: Hieronymous Alloy on December 27, 2016, 01:10:43 PM
I've even been building a lot of furniture out of silver to use up the extra and clear space.

This is quite the statement of the ineffectiveness of the trading system... when you have so much money that you start building things with it because you can't buy anything useful with it...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Headshotkill

You can get the storage crate mod, it feels pretty balanced.

Catastrophy

Quote from: Headshotkill on December 28, 2016, 06:47:27 AM
You can get the storage crate mod, it feels pretty balanced.

It might just hide the problem, though.

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: Shurp on December 28, 2016, 06:37:21 AM
Quote from: Hieronymous Alloy on December 27, 2016, 01:10:43 PM

This is quite the statement of the ineffectiveness of the trading system... when you have so much money that you start building things with it because you can't buy anything useful with it...

Oh I could buy more bionic limbs for everyone but it's tedious to call that many exotic traders in sequence.

Plus it's nice having an all-silver dining room. I think I may try some gold and silver statues next.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

SilentP

It's gotten to the point that playing my colony isn't challenging anymore.  I just sit there and watch my pawns run around crafting things while my 20 hogs carry all of the finished product over to the appropriate stockpile.

I think it's time to abandon Funkytowne and start a new colony on a higher difficulty setting.

Thyme

I doubled the chance for trader events to happen. It worked fine for the first 3ish years, but now I'm just calling in trader after trader, buying all the plasteel for the ship. I'm also crafting all the excess leather into parkas. Where my main problem with that is not the constant calling of traders, but more their incompetence at it. Most of them simply can't take up with my item spam. Ground based traders lack the silver to buy all the items, so I usually call in two simultaneously. Upon arrival, they will enter the map from different sides.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

GiantSpaceHamster

Now that you can send out your own caravans, that's an effective way to sell off extra loot. Just be aware that you can get ambushed while on a caravan so don't just send one guy with no weapons.

One way I avoid over-stocking things like bricks that are not all that valuable but take up a lot of space is to set a max stock threshold on the crafting tables. For example, instead of building bricks forever, build until you have 1000 total. That should be plenty to build out a few new rooms quick and then your colonists will automatically start making more until you hit 1000 again. I do the same for smelting slag into steel.

For other stuff like gear and things that are more valuable, start sending out caravans (just make sure you have enough food for the trip!)

bills6693

For excess cloth and leather I build armchairs. Dozens of armchairs. They use up 100 cloth/leather each. I have a very skilled building so they normally come out at a high quality, and then instead of 100 leather I have an armchair which I deconstruct and sell to the next trader who comes by or take it on a trade caravan to a nearby settlement.

But I still don't have a bionic colony yet - A few more hours and maybe even that won't be enough to hold back the tides of... stuff. I've currently built an outside stockpile to take all the steel, plasteel and bricks since they don't deteriorate  but I don't really want to build (or have room for) another storage room.