[1.5] Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - v3.3 (April 11th, 2024)

Started by Rah, December 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

Hardcore LITE
One of my starting colonists, Sarrah "Blades" Kerrigan, is an expert warrior, psychically impervious, and has a penchant for taming animals and growing things. Currently she manages my armory and weapons sales division.

But early that first spring we were attacked by a stampede of boomalopes and Blades lost an eye and a toe during the battle. So I poured resources into research and infrastructure to get her a bionic eye, and she had a successful surgery by the end of fall. She's also got some nifty gear along the way, including an infused compound bow, power armor exoskeleton and high tech sniper head gear. All in all, way happy with how she's coming along.

So thanks for the bionic surgery mod.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Rah

Quotecan dementia be cured?

suggestions:
- Add ability to remove or speed up removal of addictions.
- Require regular medicine for low damage scars (after research) (in lite at least)
- Make something with fingers, kinda silly to remove the whole foot when you're just missing a toe

Hi Gendalf, dementia and alzheimer's can be "cured" with a neurostimulator, but you also get a lot of bad side effects from the implant, so you have to weigh your decision carefully. As for the scar curing; I feel like curing scars, which is not possible in vanilla, should cost you a bit. And also, glitterworld medicine is not that hard to get in small amounts. And to answer your last question; that was actually a balance/value compromise I had to make. I might go in and look at that a second time.

QuoteHardcore LITE
One of my starting colonists, Sarrah "Blades" Kerrigan, is an expert warrior, psychically impervious, and has a penchant for taming animals and growing things. Currently she manages my armory and weapons sales division.

But early that first spring we were attacked by a stampede of boomalopes and Blades lost an eye and a toe during the battle. So I poured resources into research and infrastructure to get her a bionic eye, and she had a successful surgery by the end of fall. She's also got some nifty gear along the way, including an infused compound bow, power armor exoskeleton and high tech sniper head gear. All in all, way happy with how she's coming along.

So thanks for the bionic surgery mod.

Hehe, nothing like a deadly cyborg warrior colonist ;) Glad you like the mod ! Feel free to try out my Hardcore Armors mod for an even deadlier cyborg !

Rah

1.60 - Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - Hardcore Edition
* NEW MOD NAME !
* New workbench textures !

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and supported the mod. Will try to update it whenever needed. Enjoy !

Flimflamshabam

Quote from: Rah on February 22, 2017, 10:49:43 PM
As for the scar curing; I feel like curing scars, which is not possible in vanilla, should cost you a bit. And also, glitterworld medicine is not that hard to get in small amounts. And to answer your last question; that was actually a balance/value compromise I had to make. I might go in and look at that a second time.

I feel like a few vanilla things need some tweaking so they make more sense, most scars seem to have very little negative side effects aside from having a colonist in constant but otherwise negligible pain, with the occasional deep scars that are more entire chunks of muscle being torn away with the negative stats they give to colonists (such as seriously lowered movement for a scratch on the leg). I think the game needs a better way to distinguish serious flesh wounds from simple scratches at a glance.

As for fixing them, it depends on the extent of the injury, obviously a small cut on the nose which has no side effects besides the disfigured social penalty (another thing that needs some serious reworking) either shouldn't be healable at all because it shouldn't have any side effect or it should just heal itself with time, infact unless the wound is so deep that a large chunk of muscle is missing there shouldn't be any permanent side effects or permanent effects should be minor.

Personally i've had very few colonists with seriously debilitating scars, the worst thing i've had are a few colonists who move a touch slower than everyone else because they're missing a toe or have some rather minor scratches on a leg or two, (really don't think missing toes should have that big an impact unless several are missing). Had one colonist over the course of all my saves with a serious injury to his neck, an old gunshot (he generated with it), which seriously impacted alot of his stats.

Madman666

@Flimflamshabam
Man, just have a neurotic or volatile or pessimist person with a couple of scars giving constant -10 to mood. Are you kidding me? Making scars even more annoying makes no sense at all. Just having a survival rifle shot to leg untreated for too long already can give a scar which comes with permanents "in a moderate pain" moodlet and ~ -30% to movement. Couple scars on legs - he moves like a peglegged centipede, couple to arms - he can do crap, aside from cleaning. From what i see of your experiece, you probably didn't ever had serious scars on people in your runs. A bunny can scar your person if it hits the eye permanently which makes his damn sight ~60% and I guarantee you - that person will be useless as a shooter for the rest of the game, until eye replaced with bionics.

I admit that RW needs reworking scar system, but not in making it harder way. In making it less ridiculous way.

ruyan

Hey Rah,

thanks for asking the alien guy for a patch, much appreciated!
In return I present my first ever Rimworld "patch" myself :-P
RePower re-balances the power consumption of workbenches. They consume much less when idle, but much more when in use.
Tested and works fine, it's really simple as the author provided a sample def, but you might want to have a look because... I'm a noob :-P

Cheers,
ru

*edit* thinking about it... it doesn't really make sense for you to ship this, does it? :P I've posted it in the RePower thread as well, so they will point to it I guess. Anyway, I made something! :D

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Rah

Quote from: ruyan on February 23, 2017, 05:48:48 AM
Hey Rah,

thanks for asking the alien guy for a patch, much appreciated!
In return I present my first ever Rimworld "patch" myself :-P
RePower re-balances the power consumption of workbenches. They consume much less when idle, but much more when in use.
Tested and works fine, it's really simple as the author provided a sample def, but you might want to have a look because... I'm a noob :-P

Cheers,
ru

*edit* thinking about it... it doesn't really make sense for you to ship this, does it? :P I've posted it in the RePower thread as well, so they will point to it I guess. Anyway, I made something! :D

hey ruyan, that looks like a great mod. and gj on the patch. It's probably sufficient to have the link on the mod site itself, but I might put it up here too if needed.

Flimflamshabam

@Madman666 I mean I've had a number of bad scratches and injuries to my colonists, but I do tend to play on Basebuilder difficulty so serious events don't occur, not that shit can't go south in the blink of an eye, I've had more than my fair share of colonists with dozens of different issues but some of the worst still weren't that bad, my biggest gripe is when I get a colonist with frail and back back at the same time, they're only really good for cleaning duty then. And then there's always the issue of colonists who show up with several skills disabled, usually cleaning and hauling x-x

Or I get a colonist whose really good at shooting but has no passion for the skill and is trigger happy so his high skill is made mostly irrelevant by his debuffed aiming skill unless I give them fast(er) firing weapons.

Madman666

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on February 23, 2017, 04:40:15 PM
@Madman666 I mean I've had a number of bad scratches and injuries to my colonists, but I do tend to play on Basebuilder difficulty so serious events don't occur, not that shit can't go south in the blink of an eye, I've had more than my fair share of colonists with dozens of different issues but some of the worst still weren't that bad, my biggest gripe is when I get a colonist with frail and back back at the same time, they're only really good for cleaning duty then. And then there's always the issue of colonists who show up with several skills disabled, usually cleaning and hauling x-x

Or I get a colonist whose really good at shooting but has no passion for the skill and is trigger happy so his high skill is made mostly irrelevant by his debuffed aiming skill unless I give them fast(er) firing weapons.

I mostly play on rough with crazed Randy, since I like combat part of RW, so shit always flies my way in heaps. And colonists get wounds very often. As soon as I run out of meds - scars start to stack if I had a bad week getting too many raids. And I tend to get colonists with rather atrocious traits - like volatile, pessimist, neurotic etc. - getting scars on them makes them pretty much forever on the verge of major break. And serious scars to bodyparts make them close to disabled save for cleaning duty. And disabled colonists can be your downfall on medium to hard difficuly as they often can't pull their own weight in a fight (usually due to lowered speed or sight). So making scars be more punishing is not good... unless tynan adds a way to fix them.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Flimflamshabam on February 23, 2017, 04:40:15 PM
And then there's always the issue of colonists who show up with several skills disabled, usually cleaning and hauling x-x
Yeah I wish that frail and bad back were fixable in a science fiction setting too.

Misc. Robots adds cleaning and hauling robots, and when combined with Hand Me That Brick they become useful droids.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Rah

To the people wondering about the neurostimulator and what it does; here's the in-game description, which you can also find if you click on the info button before crafting it: Highly advanced brain implant that attempts to enhance the consciousness of the user. Comes with numerous side effects like frequent memory loss, confusion, headaches and loss of language. Drastic personality changes may occur. Only recommended for severely brain damaged colonists.

And if you like this mod, feel free to give a thumbs up on steam. All new mods are locked to 4 stars until around 100-200 likes to discourage cheating, so all thumbs are greatly appreciated ! enjoy

Igan

Could be possible to regenerate missing fingers and such? Like DESurgeries, but more hardcore.

I often end with various pawns losing a couple of fingers, but it is not worth replacing the whole hand wih a bionic one.

The operations would cost the 1 glitterworld medicine and, let's say, 10 plasteel (minimum), to simulate artificial or plastic bone.

What do you think?

Rah

Quote from: Igan on March 02, 2017, 01:31:53 PM
Could be possible to regenerate missing fingers and such? Like DESurgeries, but more hardcore.

I often end with various pawns losing a couple of fingers, but it is not worth replacing the whole hand wih a bionic one.

The operations would cost the 1 glitterworld medicine and, let's say, 10 plasteel (minimum), to simulate artificial or plastic bone.

What do you think?

It's certainly possible and I've thought about it several times. The only problem with it is that the incentive to craft prostheses and bionic parts, especially hands, are reduced quite a bit if you can fix all fingers, so I've been hesitant to add that to the mod.