[1.3] Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - v3.0 (Feb 5th, 2022)

Started by Rah, December 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruptga

Quote from: Rah on March 03, 2017, 04:13:45 AM
Quote from: Igan on March 02, 2017, 01:31:53 PM
Could be possible to regenerate missing fingers and such? Like DESurgeries, but more hardcore.

I often end with various pawns losing a couple of fingers, but it is not worth replacing the whole hand wih a bionic one.

The operations would cost the 1 glitterworld medicine and, let's say, 10 plasteel (minimum), to simulate artificial or plastic bone.

What do you think?

It's certainly possible and I've thought about it several times. The only problem with it is that the incentive to craft prostheses and bionic parts, especially hands, are reduced quite a bit if you can fix all fingers, so I've been hesitant to add that to the mod.

True, but if my options were to regrow fingers with 100% functionality or to give them a new arm with 120-130% functionality I would take the second choice at least 80% of the time.  Sometimes it doesn't really matter, like when your artist loses a toe on each foot, but it would be nice to remove the negatives without spending good components on two bionic feet. 

I like the idea of it requiring glitter meds too, because it makes sense in-universe, it gives the treatment a meaningful cost component, and even if it also uses a little plasteel it won't get in the way of making bionics for the colonists that really need them.

Rah

It's mostly the hand that will have its value/relevance reduced a bit, since it only gives you 10% more functionality. So by fixing the fingers, you might as well just get an arm if you want to upgrade, rather than a hand. But I understand the interest in small natural surgeries, and I'm thinking about maybe adding something in that won't disturb the bionic recipes too much.

SpaceDorf

Skin and Flesh Transplants are possible in Today's Medicine.

So why not make a Recipe for Finger and Toes that need a bit of plasteel and human flesh.

Or take the human flesh and skin from the Patient, by adding a wound from the operation, that has to be tended to and heal.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Mehni

The main reason I like and recommend this mod is because it cuts out most of the unneeded elements of EPOE. It gives me a method to deal with debilitating injuries, but at a fair cost. Permanent injuries happen, and this mod provides a fix for it. Adding the ability to heal every boo-boo only cheapens the experience.

In my opinion, it should remain lean.

Ruisuki

Havent played with EPOE but seems the consensus here is this is more realistic/costly? If so I am interested. Just wondering whether you ever added the eyepatch I heard so much about, to this mod?

Rah

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 05, 2017, 07:29:43 AM
Havent played with EPOE but seems the consensus here is this is more realistic/costly? If so I am interested. Just wondering whether you ever added the eyepatch I heard so much about, to this mod?

The eyepatch had a number of problems associated with it, so it was not added back in, however the wooden foot was. It was mainly added back for the tribal players, but it can be helpful for colonists as well in the early game. If you're after a hard vanilla-like experience with more bionics and surgery options, you've come to the right place.

Quote from: Mehni on March 05, 2017, 06:19:19 AM
The main reason I like and recommend this mod is because it cuts out most of the unneeded elements of EPOE. It gives me a method to deal with debilitating injuries, but at a fair cost. Permanent injuries happen, and this mod provides a fix for it. Adding the ability to heal every boo-boo only cheapens the experience.

In my opinion, it should remain lean.

I have to say I do agree more with Mehni on this point, but I appreciate all the feedback and good suggestions. I haven't fully decided yet with regards to the finger surgery, so we'll see.

Ruisuki

Cool cool. I like to stay close to vanilla, but not too close. I saw how people say EPOE allows you to heal every injury and that removes the sense of danger for me. That and 8 workbenches is excessive imo, I like to keep that number low. I'll be popping this bad boy in as soon as I turn up the difficulty on my existing file.

Question: There was a mod that made bionic implants not immediately effective, as in colonists had to struggle to regain functionality of their new limbs. I believe made by the author of EPOE but I could be wrong. While I wasn't a fan of the continual med requirements to mimic organ rejection I did like the former effect. It hasnt been updated so Im not sure how it handled it, but Im assuming the proficiency of the new limb increased gradually. So manipulation wouldnt immediately jump past 100% for a bionic arm for example. Is there anything like that in this mod?

Rah

Organ rejection is currently not in the mod, but several people have asked for it. I think the mod is fairly complete at the moment, but I might add something like that later if it makes sense for me to do it.

Ruisuki

Quote from: Rah on March 05, 2017, 11:32:20 AM
Organ rejection is currently not in the mod, but several people have asked for it. I think the mod is fairly complete at the moment, but I might add something like that later if it makes sense for me to do it.
Cool. What about the 'limb adjustment' idea where proficiency increases gradually over a couple days post surgery?

Rah

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 05, 2017, 04:00:53 PM
Quote from: Rah on March 05, 2017, 11:32:20 AM
Cool. What about the 'limb adjustment' idea where proficiency increases gradually over a couple days post surgery?
Most likely yes.

Ruisuki

Thats great! I'll be recommending people who want a grittier version of EPOE to check this mod out

Rah

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 06, 2017, 09:12:18 PM
Thats great! I'll be recommending people who want a grittier version of EPOE to check this mod out

Thanks buddy, enjoy the mod

PetWolverine

This mod is great. Half my colonists were missing noses, and as a result nobody liked each other and there were constant fistfights. After a divorce over a missing nose, I decided I'd had it, and installed this mod. Now I've fixed all the noses, upgraded half my colonists to advanced bionic arms and legs, and have several with upgraded spines and exoskeletons. My warden will listen to your concerns with her advanced bionic ear implants, then sweet-talk you with her bionic jaw. Upgraded from scyther blades to advanced power arms, my brawlers cut through megaspiders like butter, then help out with crafting and cooking when they get home. I like that it takes significant resources to do all this, although I'm getting to the point where I'm swimming in steel and plasteel and the only bottleneck is labor.

Something I've noticed about it though is that there's a weird discontinuity in the difficulty of crafting the parts, namely when you want to make advanced eyes and synthetic organs, you need hyperweave. The advanced limbs, spine and so on just take steel, components (read: steel and labor) and plasteel, which are plentiful on all maps and readily available for purchase from traders; you just need any sort of economy to acquire them. Hyperweave, on the other hand, is impossible. I'm on year 10 and have acquired a total of 22 hyperweave, which came from drop pods. I've called dozens of trade caravans and had several ships since installing the mod, always on the look out for the stuff, and haven't seen it.

The thing is, I'm okay with that, mostly. I'm not sure why hyperweave is this rare, but requiring something really rare to make the best stuff is cool. But, I think the other advanced parts should be somewhere in between in difficulty, so there's more of a curve, instead of outfitting a dozen colonists with arms, legs, spines, exoskeletons, non-advanced eyes, and even ears and jaws for completeness, but only being able to make two advanced eyes (and no organs).

The expensive ingredient could vary from part to part, say, gold circuitry for the spine and a uranium power source for the exoskeleton. Maybe jade for the eyes, or maybe there's no role for jade. There's not a whole lot of room here without introducing new resources, but there's some - and maybe there's a way to make a new resource work without being silly like vancidium.

Anyway, my cyborg army and I thank you for the awesome mod.

Rah

Quote from: PetWolverine on March 08, 2017, 06:51:54 PM
This mod is great. Half my colonists were missing noses, and as a result nobody liked each other and there were constant fistfights. After a divorce over a missing nose, I decided I'd had it, and installed this mod. Now I've fixed all the noses, upgraded half my colonists to advanced bionic arms and legs, and have several with upgraded spines and exoskeletons. My warden will listen to your concerns with her advanced bionic ear implants, then sweet-talk you with her bionic jaw. Upgraded from scyther blades to advanced power arms, my brawlers cut through megaspiders like butter, then help out with crafting and cooking when they get home. I like that it takes significant resources to do all this, although I'm getting to the point where I'm swimming in steel and plasteel and the only bottleneck is labor.

Something I've noticed about it though is that there's a weird discontinuity in the difficulty of crafting the parts, namely when you want to make advanced eyes and synthetic organs, you need hyperweave. The advanced limbs, spine and so on just take steel, components (read: steel and labor) and plasteel, which are plentiful on all maps and readily available for purchase from traders; you just need any sort of economy to acquire them. Hyperweave, on the other hand, is impossible. I'm on year 10 and have acquired a total of 22 hyperweave, which came from drop pods. I've called dozens of trade caravans and had several ships since installing the mod, always on the look out for the stuff, and haven't seen it.

The thing is, I'm okay with that, mostly. I'm not sure why hyperweave is this rare, but requiring something really rare to make the best stuff is cool. But, I think the other advanced parts should be somewhere in between in difficulty, so there's more of a curve, instead of outfitting a dozen colonists with arms, legs, spines, exoskeletons, non-advanced eyes, and even ears and jaws for completeness, but only being able to make two advanced eyes (and no organs).

The expensive ingredient could vary from part to part, say, gold circuitry for the spine and a uranium power source for the exoskeleton. Maybe jade for the eyes, or maybe there's no role for jade. There's not a whole lot of room here without introducing new resources, but there's some - and maybe there's a way to make a new resource work without being silly like vancidium.

Anyway, my cyborg army and I thank you for the awesome mod.

Glad you like the mod ! And yeah, hyperweave can be a tricky one. Sometimes you get a bunch of it immediately, and other times you'll never see it. In my last cassandra extreme game, I got like 40 or so from a drop in the first year I believe, which was pretty lucky. It's a bit hard to balance, but I might do some tweaking here and there for the next update. One thing you can do though if you get really unlucky, is to just buy the parts from traders. They are somewhat expensive, but with an established colony up and running it should be pretty affordable.

PetWolverine

Quote from: Rah on March 09, 2017, 11:33:15 AM
Glad you like the mod ! And yeah, hyperweave can be a tricky one. Sometimes you get a bunch of it immediately, and other times you'll never see it. In my last cassandra extreme game, I got like 40 or so from a drop in the first year I believe, which was pretty lucky. It's a bit hard to balance, but I might do some tweaking here and there for the next update. One thing you can do though if you get really unlucky, is to just buy the parts from traders. They are somewhat expensive, but with an established colony up and running it should be pretty affordable.

Yeah, affordability isn't an issue in my current fort, it's availability. I don't let a trader leave with any parts that take hyperweave to craft.

Since posting, I've noticed that there are parts that take gold to craft - I just hadn't needed to craft them because I have a stockpile of painstoppers and I don't use joywires. I also did some deep mining, and now I have some thousands of uranium. So I don't really know what resource would be in-between in terms of availability; everything is either plentiful or effectively nonexistent.