[1.5] Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - v3.3 (April 11th, 2024)

Started by Rah, December 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovus

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply! I swear I looked all over the first post and didn't find it, but lo and behold, there it is.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of bugs have you experienced with limb harvesting or transplantation? I just ask because this kind of thing interests me.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Rah

If a colonist loses a hand, you can cut off the arm and then reinstall it back, and the colonist magically gets his hand back. This applies to fingers, toes and feet as well. You can also install peg legs or prosthetic arms on prisoners and get as many limbs as you desire for free, which is pretty unbalanced.

These are things Tynan would have to work out first before limb harvesting can be implemented fully into a mod.

Rah

fixed an issue with surgery not working on humans with the asari / jaffa patch installed

Ruptga

Another suggestion (probably for the new Master Edition): repurpose the exoskeleton, give it smaller bonuses (like 5/5 movement/manipulation) and the requirement that it be present before any advanced limbs are added.  Why? 
(in-universe) Advanced limbs are so powerful that they can rip themselves out of their organic attachment points, unless they are thoroughly integrated. 
(out-of-universe) The combination of an advanced spine and an exoskeleton will turn any pawn into a superstar with only two surgeries, which is OP regardless of plasteel cost.  Advanced bionics on more than one or two pawns are also gamebreakers in general, and while perennial hyperweave shortages limit what we can do with internal organs and eyes there isn't much to throttle a rollout of advanced bionic limbs once deep drilling is unlocked. 

Increasing material costs is one balancing option, but there's only so much that can be accomplished with that and it sometimes strains credibility.  Already, a colonist with a few good bionics will have enough plasteel in their body to make a couple improvised turrets, just how heavily built are these people?  You could also make some or all advanced bionics uncraftable with the rationale that they're just too involved for some guy in a backyard shop on a rim world to fabricate. 

Rah

Hi Ruptga, thanks for the suggestion. You have to remember though, that installing an advanced bionic spine and exoskeleton on a healthy colonist is a huge investment, especially in the Master edition. Those two parts, with the advanced bench, is well over 1k plasteel and 30 or so components.

That's a lot of spent resources and it will leave your colony vulnerable if the other pawns start needing limb replacements and other parts. That is of course if you're playing to win the game with the ship or travel ending. If you just keep playing you will obviously amass enough resources to eventually be able to install bionics on all your colonists. It's also important to note that the 55% extra movement speed you get from those parts is actually not that much in tall grass, which is present in many biomes.

I do agree though that the resource cost in the master edition is probably a bit much, in terms of realism, but it's probably best to think of it as sort of a challenge version for experienced RW players. By the way, do you play on cass extreme?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Rah on April 03, 2017, 01:17:13 PM
If you just keep playing you will obviously amass enough resources to eventually be able to install bionics on all your colonists.
What can be measured in this scenario is the rate of resource flow into and out of the player's spending.

If they have only a trickle, then it will be so long between purchases that it won't be fun; just a long dull wait. And if they have an enormous river it will also be out of scope; no choices to make about what to buy.

So the question becomes how fast do resources pass through a player's hands during each season/year?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Rah

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 03, 2017, 06:17:58 PM

If you just keep playing you will obviously amass enough resources to eventually be able to install bionics on all your colonists.
What can be measured in this scenario is the rate of resource flow into and out of the player's spending.

If they have only a trickle, then it will be so long between purchases that it won't be fun; just a long dull wait. And if they have an enormous river it will also be out of scope; no choices to make about what to buy.

So the question becomes how fast do resources pass through a player's hands during each season/year?

That's why there are 3 versions of this mod so everyone can enjoy it. But yeah, it would be nice with some numbers on average resources obtained / spent per year etc.

Ruptga

Hi Ruptga, thanks for the suggestion. You have to remember though, that installing an advanced bionic spine and exoskeleton on a healthy colonist is a huge investment, especially in the Master edition. Those two parts, with the advanced bench, is well over 1k plasteel and 30 or so components.

That's a lot of spent resources and it will leave your colony vulnerable if the other pawns start needing limb replacements and other parts. That is of course if you're playing to win the game with the ship or travel ending. If you just keep playing you will obviously amass enough resources to eventually be able to install bionics on all your colonists. It's also important to note that the 55% extra movement speed you get from those parts is actually not that much in tall grass, which is present in many biomes.

I do agree though that the resource cost in the master edition is probably a bit much, in terms of realism, but it's probably best to think of it as sort of a challenge version for experienced RW players. By the way, do you play on cass extreme?

My last colony was with Randy on Intense, and that was before you'd released the master edition.  I've played a few with Cass but with her intentional pacing it was predictable enough to be dull.  I like that Randy occasionally gives me 54 manhunter boars after one season.  I like the 54 boomrats a bit less, but still, it keeps things interesting, especially when a trader shows up a minute before the rats.

My next colony will probably be played on extreme, but I generally stay away from the highest difficulty in any game because it is usually the most frustrating without really being that much harder than the next level down.  Being one-hit by or drowning in enemies definitely makes things hard, but if they're still using the same dull AI that they have been since the normal+ difficulty then the net difficulty increase is fairly small and the only real difference is that more deaths are because of RNG than are because of skill level.  Higher costs usually just mean more turtling, lower xp rates usually just mean more grinding, and so on without the core play experience really changing.

Anyway, I hear you about the 1000 plasteel; but when I have even one super-soldier I don't really need three super-soldiers, and I can do more than with six turrets.  The other is nice, sure, but one naked ubermesch with a survival rifle can either kite down and destroy or at least draw off half of any force short of a manhunter or tribal zerg, leaving the other colonists to handle what's left pretty easily. 

But all that's all just for the sake of discussion - I'm going to try master edition, for science, and RBSE's place in my modlist is pretty secure no matter how you decide to handle its development going forward.

Rah

Cassandra extreme can definitely be ridiculous and annoying for sure, so I don't blame you for playing on Randy. In fact, my last game was a Randy colony. Although he can dish out a lot of events, I find that he's usually a bit calmer than Cassandra, which gives you enough time to actually play the game and enjoy yourself more. With Cassandra, you either turtle up and wait for hell or die a horrible death, but sometimes that can be fun too.

Anyway, let me know how it goes !

Ruisuki

How do i apply the brain neurostimulant? it just asks me to haul instead of take for my brain damaged colonist. nothing under health tab operations surgery either. Colonist has only 30% consciousness due to a headshot, are they supposed to be unconscious at time of taking it? If so, poisoned food usually provides enough to down into unconscious state. Illness as well, maybe a beer...

Rah

Quote from: Ruisuki on April 10, 2017, 12:43:45 AM
How do i apply the brain neurostimulant? it just asks me to haul instead of take for my brain damaged colonist. nothing under health tab operations surgery either. Colonist has only 30% consciousness due to a headshot, are they supposed to be unconscious at time of taking it? If so, poisoned food usually provides enough to down into unconscious state. Illness as well, maybe a beer...

You need to have researched Neuroscience first, and then you get a doctor to install it on the patient.

Ruisuki

lol damn. i thought i could bypass that just by purchasing it. I embark on the road to research then, for science.

DarkShadowp

Hey everyone!

I tried to inestall the mod but after i load my game there is nothing from the mod present in the game.
Does it requires a new game or anything that i'm missing?

Thank you

Ruisuki