[1.5] Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion - v3.3 (April 11th, 2024)

Started by Rah, December 27, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rah

1.72 - Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion
* Pawns will now keep working at the workbenches if forced to.
* Frostbite cure now available after researching Regenerative medicine.
* Scar healing cost reduced to 3 glitterworld medicine in the hardcore version.

Quote from: sirgzu on September 02, 2017, 08:22:54 PM
I don't use steam
@sirgzu, it's possible to extract mods from the workshop folder which you can find in the steamApps folder.

mangalores

I expanded your mod to also have vat grown limbs which essentially allow the replacement of lost body parts. Cheaper but with no boons like bionics but close to the originals (plan being 90-95 efficiency). Mainly meant to fix pawns that got badly hurt as a late game tech. Not sure about material costs though. Maybe adding limbs to your synthetic research branch would be equivalent.

I mainly wanted to be able to fix disabled pawns without going full cyborg but simply bringing them back to near full quality of life while keeping some note of their perils.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Rah on September 02, 2017, 07:20:02 PM

@Vlad0mi3r, with regards to the cataracts, I think it's reasonable that you need to install bionic eyes in order to fix that, and I think Tynan would agree. It's possible to offer natural repairs and cures for pretty much everything, but I feel that it would take away a lot of the bionics gameplay that is so integral to Rimworld.

How about Harvesting eyes then? if we can cut out someone's liver and reuse it how about eyes? Of course you get the debuff of we harvested some organs but that's the price you pay.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Canute

Since you have the Organ rejection system, and roting organs, i think the harvest for any organs should be enabled.
That should be useful at early stages when you can't grow/craft natural organs/limbs yet.
Maybe just increase the mood debuff from harvesting, special when you do multiple harvestings.

SpaceDorf

i think the organ transplantation research is required to enable that.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Benis

Is there a quick file edit I can do to disable research requirements for installing bought basic bionics (and simple prosthetics, if those are gated, too)?
Vanilla acquisition of bionics didn't need that nerf IMO. I risked a caravan, lucked out on RNG that they had a bionic foot (not a leg, but I'll make do), and traded most of my wealth for it, just to find out I couldn't use it anyway for the next few months it took my tribals to reach bionics, at which point I had enough plasteel for multiple bionic legs and the foot was completely moot.
Vanilla bionics are limited and require luck and often investment (your own caravan/caravan request) to obtain - on top of their significant cost - and finding the opportunity to trade an arm and a leg for a better leg in early-mid game isn't a choice I want to lose.

Rah

@Vlad0mi3r, I thought about this a while back, but it just didn't make much sense to me to be able to install something as complex as an eye early on. It is after all an extremely complex organ. I feel like the bionic eye should be the main goal for someone who's lost an eye, which is also complex, but usually only available late game. But I do understand how having prostophobes in the colony can make things frustrating and awkward though, especially when they're in need of repair. Tbh, I feel like that trait really doesn't fit that well into the game.

@Canute, this has been asked many times, and all I can say is that it (limb harvest/installing) would have to be coded and balanced correctly first by Tynan. Unfortunately, there is just way too much potential for exploits the way it is right now.

@Benis, there's not really a super quick way, but you can edit out the research requirements in the surgery files. The reason it's there though is because, in my opinion, complex parts like prosthetics and bionics should require some research and understanding first before a doctor can install them onto a patient. Say a regular person finds some complex machinery out in the woods. Would it be logical to assume that he would immediately know how to use and operate it properly before studying it?

sirgzu

I could only find RBSE patches for Crystalloid and Orassans, there are some mods on the workshop claiming to patch RBSE with Asari but it's all EPOE material inside, so it doesn't do anything. I couldn't find anything for Xen mods. Does anyone know if these patches exist?

Rah

small fix: Corrected some values for the synthetic stomach, lungs and bionic jaw.

The synthetic stomach now gives 25% to metabolism, which aids the resting stat and the bionic jaw now properly gives a small bonus to eating speed.

@sirgzu, there are rbse patches for several alien mods, but not for the Asari mod atm. The author has been inactive for quite a while and the mod is not updated to A17. You should try contacting him though and see if he might be willing to make a patch.

faizanuar

I cant make operation bionic eye to my pawn who lost his eye. Bought the bionic eye from traders.

Do i need to complete bionic research ? because I am still not started any research for bionic

Vlad0mi3r

Yes you need to do the research first. It can make things harder but it does make more sense.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

CyborgMoses

I honestly can't agree that it makes sense. Why would the traders selling these goods NOT have instructions on how to install and maintain their extremely expensive products, when it expands their potential market so much? The addition of a simple booklet of diagrams or a videotape turns an item they can sell to a fraction of their customers into an item they can sell to any of their customers. I was really enthused to try out this mod, as it seemed to be balanced exactly how I wanted it, and it was! ...With the exception of this one element. I can't even use this to add more variety to potential trader bionics without going for the ability to make them myself, because it simply isn't allowed. If there could be an option added to permit installation without production, I think that would be a big improvement. That said, thank you for your work!

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: CyborgMoses on October 12, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
I honestly can't agree that it makes sense. Why would the traders selling these goods NOT have instructions on how to install and maintain their extremely expensive products, when it expands their potential market so much? The addition of a simple booklet of diagrams or a videotape turns an item they can sell to a fraction of their customers into an item they can sell to any of their customers. I was really enthused to try out this mod, as it seemed to be balanced exactly how I wanted it, and it was! ...With the exception of this one element. I can't even use this to add more variety to potential trader bionics without going for the ability to make them myself, because it simply isn't allowed. If there could be an option added to permit installation without production, I think that would be a big improvement. That said, thank you for your work!

I am not sure that the trader will sell it so why can't I use it is a very sound argument. Unless you are playing tribal it's not a huge amount of research that you need to do to be able to use the bionics you buy anyway. Also If you have enough silver laying about to be buying bionics then why is your tech not up to speed?

If you are going to talk about what makes sense installing a bionic eye in someone with no other investigation other than "hay I have this set of instructions the trader gave me just lay back everything will be ok" is a stretch. You are aware that IKEA have people available to come and put the furniture they sell together for people who can not manage it.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

Canute

Quote from: CyborgMoses on October 12, 2017, 09:40:14 PM

It is one thing to have the manual for a thing and to understood what the manual want to say. And the knowledge to create and use the proper tools for that.
Give someone technican from the 1. computer area (the one with tubes) a current smartphone with an USB stick for the maintain/repair manual on a pdf.
Do you think these technican will be able to open the smartphone to repair anything even when you print out the manual for him ?

When a current doctor get an bionic eye, do you think he will be able to connect it proper to optic nerve ? Currently he would fail.