My thoughts about RimWorld (very long list)

Started by zombaine, December 27, 2016, 06:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombaine

Good time of a day!
I am not going to write twice, so i better write all my thoughts about this game at once.
I liked this game very much, it is some kind of old good jagged alliance battle mechanics mixed with minecraft-style-survival
specially thanks for soundtrack it makes a full deep dive in this pixel hell))) Someone says about dwarf fortress, but i never played that one.
But i am here not just to thank you, but to say about some things that piss me off in this game, and some ideas how to make them better.
1) Story teller. I prefer Randy random on hardcore, and when there is written that i should get in trouble - i can always press ALT+F4 and all my problems go away. The greatest minus of a game that there is different random seed on reload. I can not understand why can not you make a static seed which defines once in a game start? and change it like f(seed, surviving_day,colony_coord) Or maybe develop simple AI like jagged alliance style when enemy armies are patrolling sectors and attacking your villages (and you see that on map). With a new map it can be done easily.
2) Difficulties. You know, i like hard difficulties , but, seriously, game stops at year 2 when there are coming 40-50 vargs or 20 elephants, sometimes in one time with 30 savages and 20 pirates (thanks to Randy). I do not think there should be such growth of difficulty with a time.
And easy difficulties are too boring because i build 30 turrets  and there no problems at all. In fact the game is too short, and not much replayable due to there small range of the ways you can play it (2) - fast ranaway to spaceship or dying hard in defence.
3) Defences. Poor turrets do not shoot mechanids and snipers - too far. That would be good to have more types of turrets, for example you build a turret basement and equip it with a pistol or a machine gun or a sniper rifle. that would be awesome.
4) Injuries and wounds. Even when you wear a helmet and a armor you can be easily one-shoted from a max distance with a sniper rifle. In strong difficulties i have on the year 2 a crew of one-eyed, one legged, one handed settlers. You could add some armor for hands, legs and reduce a chance to get your eyes scratched. It is not funny to fight having a crew of disabled.
Of course these problems can be solved by ALT+F4, and i do it for 10 times in a row on some hard battles, but that is not honest.
5) Map size - why do you need so big range of map sizes when you can make one basic size and vary planet size? in fact i choose the biggest to have more resources. Really you can make 3 basic types or just remove that, replacing with planet size slider.
6) Biomes disbalance - i think forests are overpowered, and some biomes are just impossible to start or live at all.
7) no possibilities to remove a mountain - it just fall down and bury your settler
8) no showing chances of sucessful surgery, no possibilities to take organs or expensive implants from fresh corpse. 
9) Settler AI still have crafting priority higher that carrying priority, so they will carry 10 food at once to make a meal from a distant farm instead of carrying all to stock first. Do not wake up to extingush the fire. In russian localization extingushing skill still translated incorrect ('запугивание' instead of 'пожаротушение'). On big map a settler sent to dig ore cross all map is often changing his task by himself, that makes me watch he will finally get there.
10) bugs , i mean those big with claws . if you build a house inside a mountain there no way to make their spawn chance =0,  even is there is all lighted and all walls mined and rebuilded to brick walls they sometimes spawn.
11) Why there are animals to make caravan but no possibility to buy a car 4x4 on fuel from space seller?=)))))))
12) Why only 5 colonies max? you could do like did paradoxes in Stellaris - max 5 colonies in your control, others you are giving under control of AI (make a vassal faction).
13) What about making new game goal like uniting a planet under your control with a gun and a word? It is much more interesting than simple getaway plan.
14) Making caravan trade based on small avanposts between your village and NPC more needed to player, for example giving some specific goods avaliable for trade only in one village on a planet, this will motivate players to make a 'silk road' to it.
15) Making some sectors with rich amount of rare resources or with story events to motivate player for exploring and changing living place.
16) Fore factions, more diplomacy, why i can not make peace with a faction destroying their enemy's base? Or save a village from attaks paying them with a thousands silver. Or maybe even hire mercenaries to guard  me while i concentrated on drugs selling?
17) Dynamic planet map - new npc settlements appears/disappears due to global events , on the end of game - a mechanid horde landing against a planet you united.
18) more wearpon to select from - why you not giving players to make a hard choice between AK-74, M-16 and H&K FN-FAL?
19) Slaves on pirate bases to be freed ... or sold to other slave traders.
20) possibility to emegency ranaway from sector if enemy raid is too strong (enemy will steal things from your stock anyway)
also make enemies more concentrated on raiding your stock then on setting fire everywhere and hunting down the villagers.
In fact they should sometimes ask you to pay them with silver or food or slaves - and in that case they will not touch you.
21) making children villagers ( which will be born from a couples of vilagers)
Thats all for now, hope  one day i will see sonething from that))

yupswing

Hello

3) Defences. Poor turrets do not shoot mechanids and snipers - too far. That would be good to have more types of turrets, for example you build a turret basement and equip it with a pistol or a machine gun or a sniper rifle. that would be awesome.
If you make a killbox with an entrance in the range of your turrets the scythers (sniper mechanoids) would have to come inside to shoot you and they will be in the turrets range

6) Biomes disbalance - i think forests are overpowered, and some biomes are just impossible to start or live at all.
different challanges, not for everybody. I really like this, you can choose your game.
Nothing is impossible: http://imgur.com/a/QpaZx

7) no possibilities to remove a mountain - it just fall down and bury your settler
I don't see it as a problem, mountains are big stuff, in real world can we really flatten mount everest?

8) no showing chances of sucessful surgery, no possibilities to take organs or expensive implants from fresh corpse.
Totally agree, there should be an option to harvest organs from a fresh corpse (if the organs are intact)

12) Why only 5 colonies max? you could do like did paradoxes in Stellaris - max 5 colonies in your control, others you are giving under control of AI (make a vassal faction).
This is explained in detail with the release of A16. It is hard to manage more than 5 colonies in real time and also it is kind of hard on the cpu, probably this will change in the future.

13) What about making new game goal like uniting a planet under your control with a gun and a word? It is much more interesting than simple getaway plan.
Yes, getting away it is the winning condition, but who did say we have to win the game.
I have never thought about "winning" when playing GTA or SimCity, because usually playing is the best part of the game.

21) making children villagers ( which will be born from a couples of vilagers)
This has been discussed a lot, from what I've understand it implies lots of disturbing events (dead kids mainly) and it is still in a pile of ideas that maybe will be made with the right adjustments or maybe not. You can still grow your colony by getting new colonists to join.

Wishmaster

Quote15) Making some sectors with rich amount of rare resources or with story events to motivate player for exploring and changing living place.

Yes ! That would make global traveling interesting, finally.
Or make you leave your comfortable temperate forest for ice cap and sea ice or extreme desert.

I would also like the traveling to be better. Longer range pods, but balanced with something other than a simple fuel cost rise.

zombaine

"I would also like the traveling to be better. Longer range pods, but balanced with something other than a simple fuel cost rise"
- i think range pods are mistake  - there should be a big logistics craft tech branch starting with  making addition goods bags for muffalo and finishing by constructing a 4х4 jeep or a cargo truck. And transport pods should be useful only for human transportation on attack