[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S K S

I am also getting a bug whenever a child enters the map that says "-child's name- is not a world pawn" and then the child is either replaced with a dead corpse or doesn't show up at all.

Thirite

@Rocket_Raccoon
Right, toddlers and newborns won't be getting stir crazy mood debuffs in the upcoming version. I actually just have a simple list of "Thoughts toddlers can't get" so it was just an oversight I didn't add it earlier.

@enduron
As much as I'd like to believe the bug just magically disappeared you probably are just lucky so far.

@KageNoOni
Hah, well it is a testing version after all. Use of the dev commands may be necessary. I won't judge.

@CathDubh
It might be possible, depending on how Combat Realism works. The fix to make children stop spawning in dead was what caused the conflict. But such compatibility will be after a stable alpha (all currently implemented features working without errors).

@ssprenger13
That should have been fixed in v0.1c. Make sure you're not using combat realism or the No RNG in Death mods.

easedel

Loving this mod so far.
Simple suggestion, when you do put a new version out on the OP, could you put the date when added, besides the version number in the post.

S K S

oops sorry! didn't see the new version. Thanks!

RemingtonRyder

By the way Thirite, someone was asking about some kind of evil cloning lab. It's not quite along the same lines as growth vats (which you mentioned in your OP) but I thought I would pass the idea along. :)

Thirite

Right, I actually plan to have cloning as part of the growth vat functionality. I mentioned in some earlier post that it'll take one or two gene samples- one producing a clone and two imitating normal reproduction.

By the way- contraceptives will not work in v0.1c unfortunately. I've fixed them already for upcoming v0.1d but just so everyone is aware they currently do nothing.

KageNoOni

I have a new bug to report.  I caught my 2 season old toddler Chicken Breixo (side note, I swear that sounds less like a name, and more like a fancy dinner dish, but the game chose the name, not me) doing research at my high tech research bench with multi-analyzer.

Edit: Toggling draft stopped the research initially, and the toddler went back to wandering around.  I had thought this meant it was fixed, but apparently not.  Chicken went back to researching later, and could not be pulled away from the research bench.  The draft method didn't work, and pulling Chicken away while drafted, and releasing her to go back to her normal thing resulted in her running straight back to the research bench.  As one person in the Phi client noted, she has a bright future ahead of her. :P

Edit 2:  Colonists aren't feeding prisoners.

Archadeas

Quote from: MarvinKosh on January 24, 2017, 09:32:08 PM
By the way Thirite, someone was asking about some kind of evil cloning lab. It's not quite along the same lines as growth vats (which you mentioned in your OP) but I thought I would pass the idea along. :)
Pretty sure that was me at some point. I wanted an army of clones to rule the world, and now that I can drop them into enemy areas, even more so.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25754.0
When this world comes to an end, I shall Remain. The void beckons, will you heed the call?

Cassiopea

Quote from: KageNoOni on January 25, 2017, 12:20:57 AM
I have a new bug to report.  I caught my 2 season old toddler Chicken Breixo (side note, I swear that sounds less like a name, and more like a fancy dinner dish, but the game chose the name, not me) doing research at my high tech research bench with multi-analyzer.

Edit: Toggling draft stopped the research initially, and the toddler went back to wandering around.  I had thought this meant it was fixed, but apparently not.  Chicken went back to researching later, and could not be pulled away from the research bench.  The draft method didn't work, and pulling Chicken away while drafted, and releasing her to go back to her normal thing resulted in her running straight back to the research bench.  As one person in the Phi client noted, she has a bright future ahead of her. :P

Edit 2:  Colonists aren't feeding prisoners.

Do you have Fluffy's work tab mod?

Tammabanana

Quote from: Thirite on January 24, 2017, 09:45:21 PM
By the way- contraceptives will not work in v0.1c unfortunately.

Dang. Well, I feel less bad now about starting a new save to test whether I could reproduce enduron's new-game-starting-with-c-fixes-traders result. Roughly the same original colonists in a roughly similar scenario: two sets of parents, Lumi LeBlanc as badass gramma, and five kids ages 6-9, with some chickens and muffalos and a brand new homestead just outside of an outlander town. Hannah is surely happy to hit the reset button back to before the septuplets and ineffective contraceptives.

I've only had one set of traders so far - visitors who "seem to have a few items to trade" - and they came and went just fine. Sample size of one isn't much to go on yet, though.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

@Cassiopea
Can you confirm it's Fluffy's Work Tab causing this error?

Hydromancerx

Please ass a Joy Object for Kids such as a Toy Box or something.

S K S

Suggestion: Maybe make a new skill/work column that can be added, maybe like "parenting" or "Nannying", and have this person attend to the children instead of a doctor? Or maybe make parents feed the children instead of a doctor? I'm not sure how easy that would be to add, but it might be something to look into.

Another one: Is it possible to get rid of the 'sharing room' debuff for parents and children (or just for children), similar to how couples do not get that debuff? At least until the children are fully functional, it makes the most sense to me for them to be in their parents room or in a nursery together with the other children, but then everyone is upset because they're in a barrack instead of having their own room.

Tammabanana

Quote from: ssprenger13 on January 25, 2017, 07:39:06 PM
Another one: Is it possible to get rid of the 'sharing room' debuff for parents and children (or just for children), similar to how couples do not get that debuff? At least until the children are fully functional, it makes the most sense to me for them to be in their parents room or in a nursery together with the other children, but then everyone is upset because they're in a barrack instead of having their own room.

This would be realistic on children - they're all about crawling into other people's beds to snuggle, or chattering late into the night to each other to stall on sleeping, or to reassure each other that it's safe here in the dark and there are no monsters under each other's beds.

But, I mean, I could be biased because it's the kids' bedtime literally right now and they're exceptionally stall-some tonight, but they're only in the next room and I feel like I need to walk outside into the frozen howling wilderness to get a moment's peace. That mood debuff is totally accurate on parents and actually should maybe increase if a parent is sharing a room with a mobile/talking child, because other grown-ups at least try to respect your privacy and autonomy, and kids just don't.

There was a time when I preferred to have them close at hand, to make sure they didn't stop breathing in the middle of the night. Maybe a lesser debuff for sharing a room with a <1-year-old. It still sucked to never sleep - you wake up every time the infant snorts -  but "Baby is indeed still breathing" is a significant positive mood offset to that. (Perhaps "Disturbed sleep" x infinity would cover that situation, though, and no "shared room" debuff necessary.)

On a completely unrelated note, Marco (grownup) ripped Wendy's (child) arm off during a social fight. Wendy started it, but maybe grownups need to pull their punches during social fights with kids. I also noticed that Wendy's parents were not mad at Marco about it, so maybe room for future enhancements there.

Two more visitors-with-items, and a bulk caravan, came and went without incident on this new .c save.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Cassiopea

I look more into the potential conflict with Fluffy's work tab and try to reproduce the bug.

And I might have come upon a design issue. Kids are logically less resilient to pain. But I just had a child contract muscle parasites while having a mild fibrous mechanite infection. The moment she contracted the parasites she was downed due to extreme pain, at 80%. When the fibrous mechanite will progress from mild to advanced, the pain will exceed the lethal threshold. Thus, in the unlikely event of contracting them both, it's basically a death sentence you can't do anything about, at least in vanilla. For now, I'm going to grab some morphine mod and sedate the child until she pulls through.

Edit: But when I think about it, loosing a child to a rare and fatally vicious disease, while sad is quite realistic in the sense it's got its place in the overall narrative. That won't stop me though from being a responsible parent and getting that damn morphine.