[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

Hair mods will absolutely work, though if they have beards those will be drawn on children too. The Cthulu mod doesn't say what detours it uses (if any) so I can neither confirm nor deny if it's compatible.

killerx243

Sounds great! I needed a substitute for the hauling robots... Did I say that out loud?

ithikari

Love the idea, coincidently enough I was talking to someone on IRC about a mod about pregnancy, now I've found this. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. The added difficulty and story telling makes this a must needed mod for me.

Thirite

Bit of a progress report:
- Post partum depression working. -15 to -20 debuff depending on the severity. Depressive/neurotic pawns get it worse, and have a much higher chance of getting it to begin with. Sanguine/Psychopath pawns are immune.
- New mothers don't immediately recover after giving birth, now getting the "just gave birth" hediff, which keeps them bedlocked for around another day.

Wondering whether or not it would be better gameplay-wise for women to just promptly give birth- or require a doctor to perform a "deliver baby" procedure or suffer possible injuries/still birth.

Hydromancerx

Well what happens if there is no doctor? Like all your pawns cannot actually do doctor tasks?

Also will you have a chance of twins (or more)?

Tammabanana

Quote from: Thirite on January 01, 2017, 08:36:00 PM
Wondering whether or not it would be better gameplay-wise for women to just promptly give birth- or require a doctor to perform a "deliver baby" procedure or suffer possible injuries/still birth.

Unattended childbirth is pretty dangerous; I feel like skipping that would be missing out on Rimworld drama opportunity. I'd lean towards having it start with contractions that trigger her to walk to the hospital/bed (or need rescued, if they're painful enough); the birth takes some time and will progress on its own with a fair chance of success even if she's alone; but mother and child both have a higher chance of surviving if a doctor tends. I'd only give it an "operation" procedure if you want to incorporate Caesareans, in a kind of analogous manner to how you might call for an amputation if an infection is going badly.

Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

Quote from: Hydromancerx on January 01, 2017, 10:24:26 PM
Chance of baby and/or mother death, complications like blood loss.

Quote from: Tammabanana on January 01, 2017, 10:43:05 PM
...  I feel like skipping that would be missing out on Rimworld drama opportunity.
Yeah, absolutely. I want to strike a reasonable amount of 'gamey' challenge without making things needlessly complex- but I think doctors delivering a baby would be fine. Complications requiring cesareans might be a bit much though; I hadn't considered making a job similar in mechanics to "cheer up sick pawn", but instead of improving mood it improves the chances of a positive birth result. Would make a lot more sense than a surgery to promptly deliver the baby- though probably more work to code, haha.

Tammabanana

Quote from: Thirite on January 02, 2017, 01:15:18 AM
Quote from: Tammabanana on January 01, 2017, 10:43:05 PM
...  I feel like skipping that would be missing out on Rimworld drama opportunity.
Yeah, absolutely. I want to strike a reasonable amount of 'gamey' challenge without making things needlessly complex- but I think doctors delivering a baby would be fine. Complications requiring cesareans might be a bit much though; I hadn't considered making a job similar in mechanics to "cheer up sick pawn", but instead of improving mood it improves the chances of a positive birth result. Would make a lot more sense than a surgery to promptly deliver the baby- though probably more work to code, haha.

Oh, I was thinking just the normal doctoring task - instead of bandaging a wound or doing whatever to gut worms, "delivering baby" or "checking on progress of birth" or something. I don't know enough code to know whether that's more work or less, though.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

Yeah, exactly that. Mostly it's going to be more work because I haven't done it before, but better to do it the sensible way than the easy way.

fred55234

I cant wait for this!! When will this be release?? ;D ;D

Thirite

Probably a few weeks away. It is already very functional in A15 and almost feature complete for the basics, but updating it to A16 is going to take a decent amount of work.

XeoNovaDan

Perhaps just straight up deliver baby initially for the essential functionality, then maybe incorporate doctors to deliver it at a later stage? Although they can still be independently delivered at a certain time past the due date, it'll have a plethora of negatives and possibly death in the worst case scenario.

This mod looks really good, definitely going to check it whenever it releases :)

lacrimi512

I have a idea, why not make the kids do like adventures in the map, like wandering somewhere, and get into trouble with animals or things like that?

Thirite

Update news: I've had the time to update the mod to A16 now, but still have to iron out a few things for a testing release- namely pawn generation. Also, I even integrated my "BeardFramework" I made for hair mods (since the same methods must be detoured for drawing children anyways) so children won't be getting beards anymore. Haha

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 06, 2017, 03:45:19 PM
Maybe, if it turns out to be a lot of trouble to implement. I'm guessing it shouldn't be that difficult.

Quote from: lacrimi512 on January 06, 2017, 04:55:28 PM
Well, toddlers do a lot of wandering around already. As for children, I'm probably going to make their joy meter go down a bit faster so the player has to set more time aside for them to play.

After I get the basics done, I'm also considering adding textbooks which children (primarily) can use to train a skill up to a certain level (probably a max of 5, with 8 for higher level books maybe) so you don't have them fumbling around making horrible crafted items or digging around in a raider's guts just so you can get them some experience. Textbooks could either be bought by traders or written by your colonists at a new "writing desk" that are skilled in the relevant field.