[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammabanana

Quote from: Dragoon on February 24, 2017, 03:46:14 PM
Quote from: Bob Roberts on February 24, 2017, 02:50:46 PM
I really love this mod.  I run it with a lot of other mods, and though I get weird periodic slowdowns, moreso as my game progresses, that's not what I'm posting about today.

Female pawns need a longer break after giving birth before they're fertile again.  Babies should be spaced out 2-3 years.  Maybe, after giving birth, give the mother a "Breastfeeding" condition to her torso, which (randomly lasts anywhere from two seasons to three years?  Then it goes away and she can conceive again.  This is a simplification from the real world, but I think it would serve the mod well.

Thanks for making this very cool mod!

PS: I really like having kids in raids and trade groups.  It adds to the story, and they're the only pawns I go out of my way to rescue and recruit (and then launch, if I'm able).  Poor kids need to have a chance at a better life.

I disagree many moms have kids back to back (one year apart.) I don't think there needs to be additional spacing, other than how much spacing there is.

It takes about 1-3 months for a mother's childbirth-injuries, including just regression to approximately-normal body-state, to heal to a point where she's willing to do lovin' again. Even with a smooth childbirth, that vagina's just been stretched out to canteloupe-sized proportions, and those boobs are in pain from the incoming milk and the associated clogs and mastitis, which are much more frequent during those first few months, before the mammary glands have gotten themselves up and running smoothly. Prevention of the next pregnancy should be tied to a post-birth pain condition for the mother that triggers her to rebuff any overtures towards lovin' in no uncertain terms. The duration of the condition could be variable, depending on how the birth went plus some RNG.

Mothers who choose not to breastfeed will be even more "get your hands off me" for the first few weeks, because that milk is going to come in whether she likes it or not, and not expressing it is seriously explodey-painful. But the only way to make the milk stop generating is to not express it. (Not sure off the top of my head how long it takes for that to subside for non-breastfeeding mothers, and there are probably some tricks for mitigating the pain that I don't know if. I didn't go that route.)

Breastfeeding itself has a small contraceptive effect, but not 100%. It only produces some of the hormones used in contraceptives. Modern breastfeeding women who want to prevent another pregnancy use a progesterone-only pill, which is not gonna do the job when the kid starts weaning itself and the breastfeeding isn't creating its share of the contraceptive hormones anymore. (Full medical contraceptives will dry up the milk.) If breastfeeding is implemented, it should reduce the chance of another pregnancy, but not prevent it. I don't know the percent chances offhand. (But for anecdotal reference: in my own family of 6 living siblings, 3 miscarriages/stillborn, and no contraception, there were 3 incidents of conception ~3 months after the last kid's birth, and one dry spell of 6 years between the conception of my older brother and me.)

This has been your TMI for the day. Congratulations, you've now learned something that nobody polite would have told you until it's too late and you're stuck with the consequences.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

AngleWyrm

Basic stats of the 4 million births tracked in the US during 2002
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

guruclef

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 25, 2017, 08:25:37 PM
Basic stats of the 4 million births tracked in the US during 2002
That graph is interesting but it only represents one country on one type of planet. I can tell the graph would be very different where I live (I mention it because in rimworld we're supposed to get a mixture of people from tribes, glitterworlds, urbworlds etc.)

robotguy4

Mod compatibility note:
If you are using Fluffy's Work Tabs mod, your console will spit out a lot of errors if there's a baby on the map. Don't worry, these seem to be safe to ignore.

When the baby does finally does grow up to working age, you may find that all the job settings are missing from the work tab. Again, don't worry: reload your save. This will add the jobs to the work tab GUI for said child.

Without looking at any code, I would suspect that Work Tabs only checks for jobs that a colonist can do at start-up and it interprets pawns not able to do certain jobs as being an error.

I got an initial version of my age-up drug working. I'm thinking that it raising hunger by the same amount as age acceleration may be a good balancing mechanic. Any thoughts?

Kolljak

Extended texting of [ss] Advanced bodies complete No errors child raised from infant to young adult no issues.

Goryokaku

Can you please add to the incompatibility list the mods you decided to forcibly make this none compatible with to the point this mod will freeze, or crash your game.  Because you're only going to blacklist yourself for that type of coding without telling people your don't like said mods, therefore, forced it to be incompatible with them.  Don't care that you've done it just warn people that it's coded to happen with certain mods.

Tammabanana

Quote from: Goryokaku on March 01, 2017, 04:57:16 PM
Can you please add to the incompatibility list the mods you decided to forcibly make this none compatible with to the point this mod will freeze, or crash your game.  Because you're only going to blacklist yourself for that type of coding without telling people your don't like said mods, therefore, forced it to be incompatible with them.  Don't care that you've done it just warn people that it's coded to happen with certain mods.

"Forced" is a pretty strong word for something gone buggy in a mod still on the Unfinished forums. You may want to read a page or two back in the thread, where there's some conversation about what might be causing the crashes. Spoiler alert - it's not malice.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

LordBitter

Quote from: Tammabanana on March 01, 2017, 08:50:57 PM

"Forced" is a pretty strong word for something gone buggy in a mod still on the Unfinished forums. You may want to read a page or two back in the thread, where there's some conversation about what might be causing the crashes. Spoiler alert - it's not malice.
He's not talking about the list that's listed in the OP.

Because apparently someone found this in the assembly dll.
// eat shit
if (mod.Name.Contains("[censored]")) {
  Int64 i = 0;
  while (true) {
    i += 1;
  }
}

Lennbolt7

Quote from: LordBitter on March 01, 2017, 09:45:36 PM

// eat shit
  Int64 i = 0;
  while (true) {
    i += 1;
  }
}

Never heard of someone doing that before. I would have written it off as unintentional if you hadn't posted that. Is there a good reason for this?

robotguy4

Quote from: Lennbolt7 on March 02, 2017, 02:26:56 AM
Quote from: LordBitter on March 01, 2017, 09:45:36 PM

// eat shit
  Int64 i = 0;
  while (true) {
    i += 1;
  }
}

Never heard of someone doing that before. I would have written it off as unintentional if you hadn't posted that. Is there a good reason for this?
Uh. No...?

That being said, I've never heard of the mod listed there nor can I seem to find it on the Ludeon forum.

Hmmm. There's talk about patching this portion of the code out on Lover's Lab. I think that might be why.

EDIT: To be honest, IMO this "eat shit" code will not solve the problem. Basically the way I found what the "banned" mod was was by searching for the "eat shit" code. It lead me right to the thread about the "banned" mod along with a download for a DLL without this freezing code.

Adding the eat shit code will just piss people off about "censorship" and "malicious code". I've seen this sort of shit happen numerous times in other modding communities many times before in many different implementations. It doesn't end well for the person who does the censorship.

Dragoon

Quote from: robotguy4 on March 02, 2017, 06:40:56 AM

EDIT: To be honest, IMO this "eat shit" code will not solve the problem. Basically the way I found what the "banned" mod was was by searching for the "eat shit" code. It lead me right to the thread about the "banned" mod along with a download for a DLL without this freezing code.

Adding the eat shit code will just piss people off about "censorship". I've seen this sort of shit happen in other modding communities many times before. It usually doesn't end well for the person who does the censorship.

Now I'm curious to what the banned mod is. Is the "banned mod" on lovers lab?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

robotguy4

Quote from: Dragoon on March 02, 2017, 07:09:07 AM
Quote from: robotguy4 on March 02, 2017, 06:40:56 AM

Adding the eat shit code will just piss people off about "censorship". I've seen this sort of shit happen in other modding communities many times before. It usually doesn't end well for the person who does the censorship.

Now I'm curious, is the "banned mod" on lovers lab?

Yeah. Also the mod page for said "banned" (Note: I'm not sure if it is "banned" anywhere other than in this code. I suspect it might be, but I'm not too interested in looking up more modding drama) mod has a download link for a DLL for the Children and Pregnancy mod that doesn't have the freezing code. Basically, if someone is going to use this mod with that mod, they're going to install that version, making those 6 lines of code pointless.

Whenever someone creates needless "DRM" for their mod, it makes everyone hate them in some capacity, no matter what the intentions were.

Goryokaku

I don't plan to say much else just wanted the mod maker to at least inform people that his mod will cause issues with mods.  As I said not bothered that he did it more, that he didn't say the mod was incompatible, it's a pretty nasty code to write in.  Just want him to at least state the mod in question is incompatible.

auamoti

its like the trial of howard roark
whoever got the //eat shit was most likely "pretty nasty" also.  who was the firestarter?

edit: i should not have used a term like firestarter.  i assumed there was a reason whichever mod was banned, and this is what i meant.  not to blame someone in the forum for posting about the code.   sorry for poor use of language, lol. 

nethrez1m

Quote from: auamoti on March 02, 2017, 11:05:31 AM
its like the trial of howard roark
whoever got the //eat shit was most likely "pretty nasty" also.  who was the firestarter?
Well, i was the one who disabled that "// eat shit" code in order to make this mod compatible with the "censored" mod on the other forum thread.
You can easily find this piece of code lying untouched in the /ModFolder/Source/RimWorldChildren/RimWorld-Children/DetourInjector.cs file around line ~180 as it stands in the recent 0.1j version.
No one seems to try to "start fires". I see a few people around here merely asking why author needed such a categorical thing as crashing/freezing the game and not giving any noticeable information about that could happen to them.