[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travin

Quote from: Thirite on February 11, 2017, 10:11:09 PM
@travin
Social fights between adults and children will still be entirely possible if the adult is a psychopath, but I'm not going to have any random colonist willing to beat a kid to death because they got insulted or the kid punched them in the leg. Sane adults will already physically discipline children if they're in a bad mood and get offended (not tested though, but probably works), or tell them off if they're in a good mood. Kind colonists on the other hand will never hit a child but will still tell them off.

I didn't ask for colonists to beat children to death. In fact, I clearly stated I don't advocate violence against children and that altercations be attenuated specifically for children.

But I do find it rather strange that an adult must be a psychopath to get into a physical altercation with non-adult colonists. It seems unnecessarily biased. Especially considering the broad personality traits that lead to conflicts for both children and adults. My only concern would be the use of weapons, otherwise it's all fair game and left to personality mechanics of the game already in place--which seem to be handled quite well.

Thirite

Allowing typical social fights between children/sane-adults without the children potentially being killed would require detouring more code for adults to "throw their punches" so they don't kill them in three hits, which I don't plan to do because it could potentially create even more mod incompatibilities than there already are. So instead the adult just gives them a spanking/smacks them upside the head. So having a normal social fight with a child is mutually inclusive with potentially murdering them- hence why only psychopaths will do it.

travin

Quote from: Thirite on February 12, 2017, 12:46:51 AM
Allowing typical social fights between children/sane-adults without the children potentially being killed would require detouring more code for adults to "throw their punches" so they don't kill them in three hits, which I don't plan to do because it could potentially create even more mod incompatibilities than there already are. So instead the adult just gives them a spanking/smacks them upside the head. So having a normal social fight with a child is mutually inclusive with potentially murdering them- hence why only psychopaths will do it.

If you don't have to "detour code" but still provide a means for them to get into physical altercations without killing them, I'm having a difficult time finding any difference between what I'm talking about and what you've just described.

Hydromancerx

Could you add some sort of "Play Pretend" or "Play in Dirt/Sand/Mud" or other game for bored children? My tribal children do not have much to do and get grumpy. Also some sort of toy box joy object would be very useful.

I remember in the Sims 2 that my tribal toddlers would spend hours playing in puddles getting their joy.

XeoNovaDan

Will there be some factor as to how likely an adult is to social fight with a child? (not dissimilar to mental breaks with psychology)

So a psychopath will have a(n) x% chance to social fight with a child, and perhaps bloodlust will have a(n) y% chance to social fight..?

Tammabanana

Quote from: travin on February 12, 2017, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: Thirite on February 12, 2017, 12:46:51 AM

If you don't have to "detour code" but still provide a means for them to get into physical altercations without killing them, I'm having a difficult time finding any difference between what I'm talking about and what you've just described.

The difference is that parents and sane adults actually do prefer to spank a kid or tell them off instead of beating them up.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

@Hydromancerx
Yeah, I'll certainly be adding stuff like that in the future. Joy activities both for children and between children/parents.

@XeoNovaDan
Currently social fights just reroute between three options- normal fighting for psychopaths, physical discipline, or telling them off. Psychopaths will just always go for a social fight if one is triggered, but I could change it. Regardless, while testing I've run into a bizarre bug getting the otherPawn variable from the social fighting mental state so it all seems to be completely broken right now anyways. :| Which is completely weird because the decompiled source is apparently exactly the same as the part of my code which throws the error. By all rights it shouldn't have an error, but it does. Fug.
Edit: Looks like I fixed it, but still not sure why the original decompiled code didn't work... it should have by all obvious logic. Oh well. v0.1j coming soon

enduron

Kid and Adult turn orange and throw the following error , then chill, decide they had a social fight and go back to work one catharic the other angered.

Exception in Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority TryIssueJobPackage: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorldChildren.Thought_Override._TryGiveJob_SocialFight (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_JobGiver.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.ThinkNode_Priority.TryIssueJobPackage (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

be advised save game was started with version h , over-written with version i
mods used: Core, Children and Pregnancy - Testing v0.1i, Nandonalt's Set up Camp, Fluffy's Relations Tab

(P.S. I'd be using a ton more mods if authors would release stuff that doesn't constantly spam the default output.log with stuff that belongs in verbose making it harder to debug lol.)

Great work so far Thirite.

enduron

Not sure what she's missing but Trudy got this for her 13th birthday:

Exception ticking Trudy: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorldChildren.Hediff_Baby.GrowUpTo (Int32 stage, Boolean generated) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorldChildren.Hediff_Baby.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker.HealthTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

edit: Bug was failure to lose the <child growing> tag and become an adult (on all of 9 children). I fired up a new game and wasn't able to reproduce this error again  - but the social fighting one above keeps occuring.

Thirite

Right, the social fighting thing I'm working on currently. Unfortunately writing the MakeNewToils function is nowhere near as straightforward as I figured it would be- running into a lot of problems getting the pawn to do what I need it to do.

Psyckosama

Might want to take a look at this... I'm sure the two mods would work GLORIOUSLY together as long as they're compatible

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751049133&searchtext=

Also, any plans of putting this up on the workshop?

Thirite

@Psyckosama
I'm planning to implement similar functionality, but won't be using B&B itself.

Quote from: Thirite on February 10, 2017, 02:49:24 PM
Nope. I don't plan to put any of my stuff on steam; having mods locked behind a wall of DRM that legitimate owners of the game cannot access because they use the DRM Free version of RimWorld is not something I support or would engage in. While I could do something like putting a link to the forum in the mod description, I have had a strong dislike of Steam ever since they tried their paid mods scheme and would just prefer not to use it at all.

Adding to that, they're trying paid mods AGAIN. So don't expect to see anything of mine on the workshop.

eadras

I decided to give your mod a test run in my new tribal game.  The first raid, often referred to as "guy with a club", was a 7 yr old girl.  I'm assuming little kid raiders are not intended, 'cause it felt pretty bad digging a little grave for her.  Is this a known issue?

Thirite

Yeah, I've known about it for a while now. I will have to change the pawn generator to disallow children for raiders. But as there are game-interfering bugs it's a bit lower priority.

Dragoon

Quote from: Thirite on February 13, 2017, 11:05:00 PM
Yeah, I've known about it for a while now. I will have to change the pawn generator to disallow children for raiders. But as there are game-interfering bugs it's a bit lower priority.

Well, I think it's fine, some tribes will send the young out to earn their name. And some raider groups don't care since it might not be their kid. Look and child soldiers and human debris in Gundam IBO. http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Debris
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.