[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenshi~Akari

Happy to see return updates of this mod again.   ;D

Just a couple of things I thought would balance/add to the gameplay out a bit:

1. Breastfeeding should probably go under "Basic" jobs now instead of "Childcare". As mentioned above, when you have pawns incapable of Childcare and they end up being the mother of a new pawn, that leads to the problem of being unable to feed the kids. And now considering that other pawns have been stopped from feeding infants, that might be the trick to override the issue of a potentially starving baby and a mother unable to care for it.

2. I know I mentioned this before a long ways back, but I personally find it a little more helpful and believable if there was more of a proper labor stage than just falling out immediately... at least a chance to let mom get herself to the nearest bed to rest before kiddo is ready to pop out.

I've kinda tried to do this myself, and it sort of worked...? I still can't get a grasp of C#, but in the xml Heddifs I did it this way:

<HediffDef>
    <defName>HumanPregnancy</defName>
    <hediffClass>RimWorldChildren.Hediff_HumanPregnancy</hediffClass>
    <defaultLabelColor>(0.7, 1.0, 0.7)</defaultLabelColor>
    <initialSeverity>0.001</initialSeverity>
    <label>pregnant</label>
    <stages>
      <li>
        <label>early-stage</label>
        <vomitMtbDays>2.5</vomitMtbDays>
      </li>
      <li>
        <label>middle-stage</label>
        <minSeverity>0.333</minSeverity>
        <capMods>
          <li>
            <capacity>Moving</capacity>
            <offset>-0.15</offset>
          </li>
        </capMods>
      </li>
      <li>
        <label>late-stage</label>
        <minSeverity>0.666</minSeverity>
        <vomitMtbDays>2</vomitMtbDays>
        <capMods>
          <li>
            <offset>-0.30</offset>
          </li>
        </capMods>
      </li>
      <li>
        <label>having contractions</label>
        <minSeverity>0.965</minSeverity>
<painOffset>0.3</painOffset>
        <capMods>
          <li>
            <offset>-0.45</offset>
          </li>
        </capMods>
      </li>
  <li>
        <label>active labor</label>
        <minSeverity>0.985</minSeverity>
<painOffset>0.45</painOffset>
        <capMods>
          <li>
            <setMax>0.0</setMax>
          </li>
        </capMods>
      </li>
    </stages>
  </HediffDef>

And in the assembly under Heddif_HumanPregnancy, I managed to change the "if (this.CurStageIndex == 3)" line to "if (this.CurStageIndex == 4)" to trigger on that last stage accordingly.

It only "kinda" worked because it depends on the pain threshold the expectant mother can take & whether she's set through the Work Tab to rest for non-life-threatening issues... and since I don't have any idea how to slip in a message for the initial contraction stage in addition to the final stage, it kind of seems sort of sudden when it does happen...

I had the idea of it being optional for the sake of those who'd want to turn that part off & keep it like the original process, but I wouldn't know how to do that on my own, either.  :-[

Thirite

@zitiache & Tenshi~Akari
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to work this in asap.

zitiache

a few more things:

-I had a child as a prisoner once, and no one would feed her. I worked around it by zoning a storage spot in her cell for food, but this should be addressed.
-this might be due to another mod but I should mention it. A visitor had a big purple/magenta square behind her, I checked her gear and she had equipped the baby beanie, so I assume the purple is a missing texture (she was still wearing the cowboy hat along with it). I have the Hospitality mod and the Expanded Prosthetics and Engineering mod, and I think in hospitality visitors can buy your items. I guess the mod bypasses the equip check for who can wear baby clothes. Not your responsibility to fix other mod issues though.

Thirite

Hm, the "child prisoners not being fed" issue I believe I've heard of before. I'll look into it.

Rocket_Raccoon

Very glad to have this mod back for 1.0!  ;D
Are toddler/child clothes yet ingame?

Peokou

Quote from: Kori on February 08, 2019, 07:40:31 AM
Quote from: Chezzprinn on February 08, 2019, 05:45:02 AM
Hey, getting the following error when pawns are going to play with a baby.

Any idea what's causing it?

Logs here: https://git.io/fhHZN

I got the same errors, it is caused by the empty textures in the Textures\Things\Pawn\Humanlike folder.
When you open this folder you will find three textures called null_east, null_north, null_south.
Open them with a graphics editor of your choice (Paint will do) and place a single pixel in light grey somewhere in the middle.

You won't notice it while playing and the errors will be gone.

I'm having the same problem and placing the grey pixel in the middle didn't seem to fix it.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Proxyer

Hello, author.
It is a cheers for renewal to 1.0.
I update the Japanese translation for v0.5a. So I sent Pull request from GitLab. Please confirm and merge. Thank you.

Thirite

New Update Available
- New Job: Feed in bed- Childcarers will carry a hungry toddler to their bed and feed them food there. To help alleviate the annoying toddlers crawling across the entire colony towards the fridge, screaming the whole way.
- Removed toddlers from the "Idle Colonists" alert since they're always, by nature, idle

@Proxyer
Thanks! I just added a new Job though, sorry haha. I pulled your changes.

Proxyer

Author Thirite, thanks for the update.
I have updated the Japanese translation for v 0.5b right away. Since merge request was sent from GitLab, please confirm and merge. Thank you.

zitiache

did you change the age babies become children? I thought it was 3 1/2 (sprite changes on 3, becomes rimchild at 3 and 2 quadrums) but one of my kids is still a baby. It might be a bug because I installed the new update. I'll keep playing and see though.

Edit: Another kid turned 3, he is now Considered a rimchild, while the 3 1/2 year old is still considered a baby. the 3 year old is still unable to do tasks though

Thirite

@zitiache
Are you using any other mods that allow pregnancy?

@Proxyer
Thanks, I have merged it.

zitiache

I have hospitality, expanded prosthetics and organ engineering, and better pawn control.

And hugsLib, but that's a given.

Thirite

New Update Available
- Fixed bug where wardens wouldn't feed child prisoners

zitiache

I've been looking through the save file to see if I could fix the issue manually. The one bugged pawn is missing the RimWorldChildren.Hediff_Baby, which is what I guess tracks the growing up process. All the other pawns under 13 have it.

icedragon613

Quick question, does anyone know why mothers default to feeding meals to children instead of breastfeeding them? The mother is lactating but whenever the baby cries for food she always defaults to hauling a meal and feeding it to them instead of breastfeeding. Is there a way to set feeding babies to automatically default to breastfeeding?