[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ltaacc

I'm experiencing a bug where traders and raids regularly spawn adult pawns equipped with beanie and/or onesie resulting in a pink square error which I'm assuming is a missing texture.
It seems to happen more frequently during extremely cold temperatures although I can't confirm this.
I do have tribal raiders and hospitality installed that might interfere with the generation of pawns but the default vanilla factions also experience the same bug.
Is there a way too completely remove the spawn chance for babygear in general?

CraftyDwarf

I have been trying to use this mod a bit, and some of the mechanics seem either incomplete or broken. Contraceptive, Mifepristol(sp), seem to do nothing, though for realism sake I see the rate of pregnancy can be lowered, though I am not sure how that is governed. I was going to check whether I have a code variant of the mod, or that these features might be turned off, but it looks that the current version of source is not public.

I am more of a hands on bug fixing sort, so I really would like to discuss the issues and see if this is by current design, in error, or even just a config problem. WIth how it operates right now, it makes for huge families, which in the long term is nice I guess, but the child care alone from one well bonded pair is very high, and makes pawns too replaceable at such high rates.

As a note, since these are being raise from zero, it should have an affect on the traits of the new pawn, such that a family of cannibals would raise more cannibals on average, but also a family of non violents or maybe a modded trait like from a magic mod should have higher chances to manifest. Lastly, it would be nice to make some parallel to the age 20 second trait set. Perhaps due to what happened in the previous 3 years minimum.

DocX

Quote from: Thirite on December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Перевод с русского на Modg
Proxyerによって日本語に翻訳された
Lellel 의 한국어 번역

What is it and Why is it?
I've been working on a mod which fills in the missing features concerning human pregnancy/children for a couple months while now, in my limited free time. I've been keeping it under wraps to keep me focused on hammering out the base idea before worrying about specifics. I think a lot of the time when people argue and argue about a topic without ever actually seeing it in practice, they tend to make biased arguments that don't take everything into account. So I just went ahead and started making it, so we could at least see how it could be, not just "how I imagine it would be". The mod is meant to be as vanilla friendly as possible in this respect.

How does it work?
> Two colonists sharing a bed do the Lovin' action
> If either is not using a contraceptive (new drug) or has been sterilized (new surgery), the woman (assuming it's a heterosexual couple) has a chance to get pregnant relevant to her age. 16-25 is the ideal age and 45~ is the dropoff.
> The woman may either take a pill to cancel the pregnancy (if early enough- one season), have an abortion at any time by a doctor, or carry the baby/babies to term (three seasons).
> Once the baby is born, they can do nothing except lie in bed and be fed for 3 2~ seasons. This is the newborn stage. Mothers will have a certain chance to get post partum depression, especially if they have the neurotic or depressive traits.
> After that is the toddler stage. They can crawl around and eat by themselves. They basically act like a tamed (untrained) creature at this stage. Halfway through the toddler stage, they'll stand up and be able to do simple things like flicking switches and carrying items.
> Child stage at 3.5~ years. They can do nearly everything an adult can do, but with less speed/skill. Children will be able to study skills up to level 5 via new "textbook" items which can either be purchased from traders or crafted by sufficiently skilled colonists at a new "writing desk" workbench

At 13 they'll grow into a teenager at which point vanilla mechanics take over.

Some screenshots:

C&P is in a very mature state and plays very stably. I will be moving this topic to the Release subsection of the Mods forum soon.

Requires HugsLib to function
v0.5b Download here - updated 2018/Feb/25

Notice:
Using Children & Pregnancy with certain mods that affect pawn rendering may produce bizarre results. For now, the mod has only been configured to function properly with Alien Races Framework.

Known Bugs
- Child prisoners seem to never be delivered food by wardens; looking into this now
- Incompatibility with Show Hair With Hat mod: Children's hair doesn't get scaled properly

TODO
- Birthdays
- Add textbooks and writing desk
- Make growth vats
- implement gene sampling, in vitro, and cloning

Authors
C&P started as a solo project, but as I'm a total flake other users have collaborated on the mod to update it and fix its bugs. These users are credited:
- Cheran: Ported the mod to the v1.0 Release of RimWorld and fixed many bugs
- Jarry1250: Reworked the tolerance level of social joy for babies and toddlers
- lellel: Fixed a notorious and old rendering bug.
- Kori: Patched out pirates from spawning with children

Permissions
Consider it licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.

Hi, your mod conflicts with the "better workbench management" mod

Tenshi~Akari

^^ How so exactly?

On my end, I'm using both and I'm not having any problems at all... what does your Mod List load order look like? (I have C&P loaded after "Improved Work Benches"/Better Workbench Management, by the way.)

xrogaan

Would it be possible to add support Fluffy's mod manager by creating a manifest file? This is especially critical when one is supposed to manually keep track of updates, as the manifest file allows the manager to check if an update has been made upstream using manifestUri. You basically want to point to the manifest file stored in the git repository and update it whenever a new release is made, thus notifying users that a new version is available.

Here is how: https://github.com/FluffierThanThou/ModManager/blob/master/ForModders.md

Thanks for all the work :)

cerebralpolicy

For some reason I can't equip a baby with a onesie or a beanie - is it because I'm using CE?

Kirby23590

CE is incompatible with many mods... And mostly likely yes, unfortunately.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

82ab53e4

Can cribs be changed to not turn bedrooms into barraks?

sanya02

Tell me, how is this mod different from "Baby and Children"? What should I put with "Children, school and learning"?

sidfu

Quote from: sanya02 on August 09, 2019, 04:29:50 PM
Tell me, how is this mod different from "Baby and Children"? What should I put with "Children, school and learning"?

baby and chidren is not much differnt as its a fork of this mod it just has the pregnacy removed incase u use another mod for it

duncanpickard

OK, my colony REALLY can't handle another kid. Abortion is not showing up the surgery list for the mother-to-be. What am I doing wrong?

Tocato

is the front page the latest download? does anyone have a link to the most recent stable version?

cerebralpolicy

Will there ever be a patch for humanoid alien races?

Kori

Tocato

Quote from: Tocato on August 18, 2019, 05:36:12 AM
is the front page the latest download? does anyone have a link to the most recent stable version?
does anyone know?