[A16] Bulk Meals [REMOVED]

Started by O Negative, December 28, 2016, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

Bulk Meals [REMOVED]

Summary
This mod has been removed from Steam and Ludeon Forums.
Some users made it rather clear that this one functioned far too closely to Feed The Colonists.

The goal of this mod was to ease the min/max urge a lot of people feel when designing their colony's kitchen(s).

You Broke My Save, Jerk! [Steam]
My sincere apologies, honestly.
I take full responsibility for your frustration.
I should have tested how saves would react before purging on Steam.

Fix Your Save
Hope is not lost.

Quote from: SvPateyl on March 01, 2017, 06:35:03 PM
It seems Lethe uploaded some older version of the mod, which does not contain recipe for bulk kibble. That's probably why the game still won't load.
I've managed to edit my save to remove Bulk meals and so far the surgery seems to have been successfull :]

How I did it:
- Make a copy of the save.
- Open it in Notepad++ or something similar that displays XML nicely.
- Search for texts:

• <recipe>BulkMakeKibble</recipe>
  • <recipe>BulkCookMealSimple</recipe>
  • <recipe>BulkCookMealFine</recipe>
  • <recipe>BulkCookMealLavish</recipe>
- Those are active bills. In my case they were enclosed within <li> element under stove and butcher table. I removed the whole <li> elements.
- Load the edited save, confirm missing mod (click Load anyway).
- Check if the stove and butcher table works correctly, if you can add the classic work bills it's fixed. Probably.

I provide no guarantee, it might make your computer explode for all I know :) but mine hasn't exploded yet...

Download
Download should be below.
Will be removed upon release of A17.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

asquirrel

"The work amount is 2.5 times greater, which means it takes 2.5 times longer to do, making this method twice as efficient regardless of base architecture."

Not sure what that means.  Are you saying it takes 2.5 more time to cook 5 meals than 1 meal?  That can't be right.  How long does it take to cook 1 bulk meal (5 items) vs. 1 single meal?  Thanks for the info! :)

Headshotkill

I think he means cooking 5 meals in bulk is 2.5x the time it takes to make 1 meal of same quality.
In other words it's 2x faster to make 5 meals in bulk rather than cooking 5 meals in series.

O Negative

Yeah, it essentially takes 2.5 times longer to cook 1 bulk meal (5 items) vs. 1 single meal. :)

I did this for a few reasons,

1) Balance: I wanted bulk meals to be the (obvious) preferred method of preparing food, without it being overwhelmingly overpowered. 500% efficiency would be a bit much, in my personal opinion.

2) Realism: While not first priority, I do like to consider realism an important factor. People are only capable of suspending disbelief up to a certain point. It doesn't make sense - in a real-world scenario - for a bulk meal (5 items) to only take as long as cooking a single meal, but it also doesn't make sense for it to take 5 times as long. It's kind of related to the reason why you can't just double the temperature of the stove to cut the cook time in half when preparing cookies/brownies/etc.

asquirrel

Ah, thanks for that clarification folks! :)

O Negative

I've updated the description, in hopes of avoiding any further confusion :)

I'm not always great at explaining things, but I hope the new layout helps!

animagus_kitty

I simply can't play without this mod. Thanks for your contribution to the game!

Owlchemist

Regarding efficiency and balance, if you're open to feedback about it, I personally wouldn't mind seeing it nerfed more.... because you're already gaining an enormous amount of time-saving due to 5x less legwork running around.

Besides, realistically there'd only be noteworthy time savings for certain types of work... like mixing and bulk grilling. Food prep like cutting up veggies and meat? That'd just be straight up 5x more work.

O Negative

I'm always up for constructive criticism; especially when it's accompanied by sound arguments.

I don't think I'll force everybody into the nerfed version, though. I can upload a similar (nerfed) version in this same thread, for those of you that want it :)

Tinkerer

Quote from: O Negative on January 02, 2017, 05:01:39 AM
I'm always up for constructive criticism; especially when it's accompanied by sound arguments.

I don't think I'll force everybody into the nerfed version, though. I can upload a similar (nerfed) version in this same thread, for those of you that want it :)

What are numbers for the nerfed version?

Thank you!

O Negative

Mostly the same. Instead of 200% efficiency, bulk meals are "only" 125% efficient in the nerfed version.

BillWork Amount
Simple Meal
Bulk Simple Meals
Fine Meal
Bulk Fine Meals
Lavish Meal
Bulk Lavish Meals

Hope that helps :)

Smexy_Vampire

another mod makes bulk batches of 5 as the increse incroments of the bill is +1 +5  ect

O Negative

Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on January 04, 2017, 06:48:07 PM
another mod makes bulk batches of 5 as the increse incroments of the bill is +1 +5  ect

Oooo, how neat! Link? :o

Hopefully, Tynan or Ison will see these bulk production mods and incorporate something like them into the base game.

Smexy_Vampire

Quote from: O Negative on January 04, 2017, 11:38:01 PM
Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on January 04, 2017, 06:48:07 PM

Oooo, how neat! Link? :o

Hopefully, Tynan or Ison will see these bulk production mods and incorporate something like them into the base game.
as requested for link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=830545304

O Negative

Thank you, much. Yeah, that's fairly easy to do as well.
I thought maybe it was something more C#-esque when you first mentioned it.
Like, maybe you meant you could choose exactly how many meals you wanted produced at a time. +1 or +5 buttons to increase increment.
That's the end goal, I think :)