Bleeding out after being "fully healed"

Started by sigmir, December 29, 2016, 03:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigmir

Had a character get his hand shot off with a single charge lance shot in a battle with a scyther.

Character was ordered to rest until healed.  A second character doctored him with regular medicine.

Message "Character so-and-so is fully healed" appeared on screen.  Character got up out of bed to take a walk. 

Character was still leaving blood spots as he walked around, so I took a look at his health tab.  Health listed "Right hand, shot off" and "Bleeding, death in 22 hours."  Unable to order character back to bed, error message "so and so is uninjured" appears when I try.  Unable to order a character to doctor him. 

22 hours later, he dies.

Unsure if this is working as intended or not, as I've seen the game includes several other types of un-recoverable wounds (destroyed stomach, snapped spine etc).  Is having your hand shot off supposed to be an automatic death sentence by bleeding?  A missing foot does not kill the character.  The fact that the game lists him as "uninjured" as he dies seems suspicious.

koisama

Looks like a bug.
I remember prisoner dying from bleeding despite being fully bandaged. I then loaded the save made after tending to said prisoner, there was no bleeding so prisoner lived.

biship

I just had the same issue. Pawn lost a leg. Perhaps he dies between ticks before the game has adjusted his bleeding to zero?

sigmir

So the other weird thing I should mention about this incident was that the doctoring character (who has only a skill of 2) managed to fully heal the shot character before 2 hours of his 100% one-day-bleed-out had elapsed.  I wasn't paying that close attention due to the ongoing battle and such, but I think perhaps what happened was that the bandage job removed the shot character's charge lance wound and left the bleed, instead of the expected case where it removes the bleed and leaves the wound.

Oh and this is on the current A16 build without mods.  Wish I had a save file to show, but when I rolled back to autosaves they were all at points before the fight started.

NeverPire

Same issue on a out of action opponent during a base attack.
I have created a temporary prisoner room, cared him but he still have the state bleeding (extreme).
I have resolved it by kidnapping him. Once income in my base, the prisoner had no more bleeding state.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

darkrage000

they arent dying from bleeding, they are dying from 'blood loss'
look at the lower area when they are bleeding and see how much time they have to live. if they take too long getting healed and lose too much blood they will still die (the counter will still keep counting down when this is the case)

zeidrich

Blood loss is a condition, at the extreme it will set your maximum consciousness to 10%.

There are other conditions like heat stroke and malnutrition that will further reduce your consciousness.

If you're bandaged, but you're in an extreme blood loss state, and then you get something else that drops your consciousness to 0, it's going to kill you.  The game's going to try to tell you the largest factor for the death, and that's blood loss, even though that was treated and getting better.

Should have administered luciferium.   ;)

WitchZero

Quote from: sigmir on December 29, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
Had a character get his hand shot off with a single charge lance shot in a battle with a scyther.

Character was ordered to rest until healed.  A second character doctored him with regular medicine.

Message "Character so-and-so is fully healed" appeared on screen.  Character got up out of bed to take a walk. 

Character was still leaving blood spots as he walked around, so I took a look at his health tab.  Health listed "Right hand, shot off" and "Bleeding, death in 22 hours."  Unable to order character back to bed, error message "so and so is uninjured" appears when I try.  Unable to order a character to doctor him. 

22 hours later, he dies.

Unsure if this is working as intended or not, as I've seen the game includes several other types of un-recoverable wounds (destroyed stomach, snapped spine etc).  Is having your hand shot off supposed to be an automatic death sentence by bleeding?  A missing foot does not kill the character.  The fact that the game lists him as "uninjured" as he dies seems suspicious.

I confirm this happens to my Pawns.  My only experiences have been with things Torn off from wildlife.  Foot, Toe, etc.  Same experience either way, Pawn goes to hospital, Fully healed by Doctor.  Pawn walks around leaving a blood trail.  The injury is listed in grey on the Health Tab.   

They main thing that bothers me with the bug is I have to constanly clean behind them...forever.  I just load the last autosave now until it gets fixed.  Couldn't wait to see if they bled out.  -15s sprayed around my base is not happening.

arl85

I think it's a bug.
With dev mode I removed right feet from Setsu.
After being healed, bleeding rate remained at 100%.
here you can see her health tab with dev mode on and off

bleeding rate will remain at 100% and blood loss will increase.
Reloading the savegame solved the problem.
Savegame is here (even if I think it will not be so useful because when loading everything it's ok)

nccvoyager

@arl85, you can reliably reproduce the issue?
What type of healing are you using? (Devmode healing, natural healing alone, or natural healing via doctoring?)

I have seen this issue occur before, but I (and others) could not reproduce it when we attempted to.
It seems that the reason that saving and reloading fixes this is that the wound that "causes" the bleeding "doesn't exist" and is not saved with the rest of the game.
Therefore, while the "blood loss" is saved and is loaded, the "bleeding" is not.

The issue is what creates this "invisible" bleeding effect.
A suggestion for the cause of this issue was a wound naturally healing (without doctoring) while being bandaged by a doctor.
Unfortunately, there was no progress made into what the actual cause was, and then A16 was released.

XeoNovaDan

Yeah, I notice that someone continues to bleed out with a missing part (typically nose or ear), even if it was 'tended'. It seems to stop once blood loss reaches 'minor' though

arl85

Quote from: nccvoyager on January 06, 2017, 06:18:46 PM
@arl85, you can reliably reproduce the issue?
What type of healing are you using? (Devmode healing, natural healing alone, or natural healing via doctoring?)
I simply used dev mode to apply damage (cut) to a foot (usually 3x cut "cut off" the foot) and then healing via doctoring, no medicine, tending only.
I can reproduce it every single time.

edit:
Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 06, 2017, 06:38:51 PM
Yeah, I notice that someone continues to bleed out with a missing part (typically nose or ear), even if it was 'tended'. It seems to stop once blood loss reaches 'minor' though

I did another test: I left my pawn bleeding until it reached moderate blood loss and then patched him up.
bleeding continued until it reached next blood loss severity level, then immediately started decreasing.

Tynan

I think it's caching bug.

The game caches the bleeding rate when something changes in the pawn's health (since it's slow to calculate).

But it seems when tending happens, it doesn't re-cache.

We should try to repro this, since I thought I fixed it already. But maybe not. Might be good to put Notify_HediffChanged in Tend_Toil instead of in the actual Tended calls.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ison