[B18] TiberiumRim v1.7 - A Command & Conquer Mod for RimWorld

Started by Telefonmast, December 29, 2016, 11:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profugo Barbatus

Quote from: Treason5240 on January 07, 2017, 02:22:20 PM
For all the events that spawn tiberium generators, I was sending pawns to try and quickly wall them off.

However, I just saw that tiberium doesn't grow into tiles where a chunk of rock or slag is sitting.

Huh..why didn't I think of this sooner?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be fixing that :P

Treason5240

Quote from: Profugo Barbatus on January 07, 2017, 02:46:56 PM
For all the events that spawn tiberium generators, I was sending pawns to try and quickly wall them off.

However, I just saw that tiberium doesn't grow into tiles where a chunk of rock or slag is sitting.

Dammit.. ;)

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: Profugo Barbatus on January 07, 2017, 02:46:56 PM

I don't think it needs fixing as the ground under it changes and still spreads beyond it, it just doesn't spawn crystals. Same with sandbags for example, I learned that the hard way once it nearly closed the last way outta my base

re1wind

I'm experiencing a strange bug, at least i hope it is one, where pawns with high quality protective masks and suits are getting tiberium infections. I'm assuming the protection is absolute because i haven't read anything suggesting partial protection based on apparel quality or deterioration. Could be that other apparel and/or implants are interfering with the tiberium protection.

Also, based on the large block of text below this, i strongly suggest changing the tiberium sickness to something that more closely follows the toxic buildup (because it not only is more accurate, but everything cnc3 changes is simply wrong): tiberium toxicity can build up in several in-game hours, but takes weeks to clear, with the protective suits significantly slowing down the rate of toxic buildup. I do not recall "tiberium radiation" ever being used, and the tiberium plant or crystals was actually toxic to terrestrial life, causing mutations and all kinds of not understood things.

Tiberium crystals: "yo earthlings, we're just going to terraform your planet and mutate the flora and fauna into something that suits something else much better while offering these (green) crystals rich in rare minerals and metals to hide that fact. Just ignore the fact that we're highly toxic, imagine the riches you could acquire from harvesting and spreading tiberium!"

Everything in the C&C universe after tiberian sun & its expansion firestorm is effectively[/url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_committee]designed by EA's corporate comittee[/url], and should hence be ignored.  For all intents and purposes, you could consider cnc3 a high-quality fan-made expansion that throws out most of the lore, mechanics, concepts, etc. in favour of things that are more likely to be accepted by everyone.

I'm not saying that cnc3 isn't fun as a form of entertainment, i'm saying that the reasoning, atmosphere, purpose, and intention of various aspects of the cnc universe took a nose-dive into the dark depthy realm of design by committee and ergo can, and should, be ignored.

Bodog999

First off, the tiberium suit bug is a known bug. I think its because the things it covers is for gunfire and not for tiberium.

Secondly I would like, like you said, see the tiberium infection things changed into a whole body state like the toxic buildup instead of having it infect one random body part. Some parts (Like neck, head, torso) cant be amputated and your colonist will die in the next few days. And I cant imagine someone checking out tiberium by sticking their head into it first. Plus if they stand on the tiberium, logically, for me atleast, the lower body would have a much higher chance of being infected than the upper body unless the crystall is around the same height as the person hugging it.

Thidly, I'd love to talk about the C&C tiberium series' lore but I played it when I was a kid and dont remember much of it. So apologies in advance if I say something incorrect about tiberium or the series.

Profugo Barbatus

Quote from: re1wind on January 07, 2017, 04:25:15 PM
Everything in the C&C universe after tiberian sun & its expansion firestorm is effectively[/url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_committee]designed by EA's corporate comittee[/url], and should hence be ignored.  For all intents and purposes, you could consider cnc3 a high-quality fan-made expansion that throws out most of the lore, mechanics, concepts, etc. in favour of things that are more likely to be accepted by everyone.

I'm not saying that cnc3 isn't fun as a form of entertainment, i'm saying that the reasoning, atmosphere, purpose, and intention of various aspects of the cnc universe took a nose-dive into the dark depthy realm of design by committee and ergo can, and should, be ignored.

While this might be your opinion, It is not the opinion of the mod team, nor is it the universal opinion of the community that so far is playing the mod. I personally hold that Firestorm was the Peak of the C&C games, but I did also enjoy C&C3. I never actually played C&C4, but I'm perfectly willing to take some of the ideas from it, and manipulate them to our own ends. Just because the latter stuff was 'designed by committee', doesn't mean there aren't some ideas we can use from it.

In this case, Crystallization of limbs was both a more immediate danger, and a simpler thing to represent and express. I don't know why your talking about Radiation, as our crystals aren't radioactive. They cause contact infection. Lore wise, Tiberium infects flesh on contact. It might not be perfect, but its a satisfying, and reasonable gameplay mechanic.. Saying that " everything C&C3 changes is simply wrong" isn't a grounded fact, or a compelling reason to change said mechanic.

Ultimately, This isn't a C&C game. This is Rimworld, with some C&C elements transposed via this mod. We'll be using elements of lore from C&C3 and C&C4 where appropriate, because 3 and 4 covered more aspects of the ongoing wars, and covered aspects of Tiberium control, a matter that this mod is focused on.

Quote from: re1wind on January 07, 2017, 04:25:15 PM
I'm experiencing a strange bug, at least i hope it is one, where pawns with high quality protective masks and suits are getting tiberium infections. I'm assuming the protection is absolute because i haven't read anything suggesting partial protection based on apparel quality or deterioration. Could be that other apparel and/or implants are interfering with the tiberium protection.

Are you running the latest version of the mod? There was a mistake in distribution of V1.0.1 that caused Tiberium protective gear to not work right. Its fixed in V1.1.

For people curious about the protection mechanics, it works as follows.

The game picks a random part on the pawn to try and infect. Then it gets the list of clothing on the pawn that covers that part. If any of the clothing is Tiberium resistant (Denoted by having TBP in the thingdef, for any modders who want to make their clothing defend against Tiberium), then it doesn't infect the part, regardless of damage to the item, or quality. Otherwise, it finds the item with the highest sharp protection value. If that value is over 59%, the Tiberium fails to puncture the clothing, and the pawn isn't infected. So Armor vests and Power armor will protect against infection to the parts they cover (Vanilla power armor doesn't cover hands or feet). If the value is below 59%, then it rolls for infection, with lower armor values increasing the chance of infection.

So even without Tiberium suits, clothing does provide protective value.

Quote from: Bodog999 on January 07, 2017, 05:01:11 PM
And I cant imagine someone checking out tiberium by sticking their head into it first. Plus if they stand on the tiberium, logically, for me atleast, the lower body would have a much higher chance of being infected than the upper body unless the crystall is around the same height as the person hugging it.

Having height factor in to the decision of which part to infect is something I'll look into.

Helixien

Quote from: Bodog999 on January 07, 2017, 12:55:56 PM
Personally I enjoyed C&C 4, yes it wasnt the greatest C&C (Most people will say its the worst probably) but I quite liked having a mobile HQ and some of the units were amazing *cough*Mastodon*cough*. C&C 4 could've been better and a good ending to the C&C series if a certain company didnt fuck it up so hard.

The concept of C&C 4 was a nice idea, just the execution was done horrible!

Telefonmast

Quote from: Bodog999 on January 07, 2017, 05:01:11 PM
Thidly, I'd love to talk about the C&C tiberium series' lore but I played it when I was a kid and dont remember much of it. So apologies in advance if I say something incorrect about tiberium or the series.

About the lore. There should be no worries as I take deep looks into the beginning and end of everything Tiberium related - as much as this is a mod for another game, it is about Tiberium, so it is presented and worked out in the best and most lore-friendly ways possible.
Everything we do is based on what Tiberium lore has given us - except for new story elements fitting to RimWorld. And new explanations, for example the red Tiberium, or as I called it "Rutila" from the latin word "rutilant" which means "glowing red" -
I put a lot of passion into designing this mod and getting a good and fitting experience for the RimWorld universe into this; as well as adding new elements to the C&C universe which make sense for me, with so far only being the red Tiberium name and "study" on it.
I am a huge C&C fan and the Tiberium lore absolutely fascinates me, so I do care a lot about the product we are making.
You have to also consider that this is in an early stage, 1.1 is not the final TiberiumRim-Core version, it will have many changes over time, with more details coming as we get to work on them, such as Tiberium hurting objects it comes close to.

So far we made a simple working Tiberium based mod, with the Tiberium spreading, killing and being able to be used in an easy way.

We do appreciate suggestions - but keep it as that, suggestions.
If you think we forgot to add something - tell us. Our GitHub issues are open to everyone.
Telefonmast - Ready to give you good phone connection!
- My mod project

Bodog999

Maybe a little thing for after v2.0 but would it be possible to get the base defences of the GDI and NOD factions as turrets? Like the GDI anti infantry tower and the NOD's triple anti infantry hub? AFAIK you guys are already working on the Obelisk of Light.

On another note, can we expect stuff from the C&C:KW expansion aswell?

Darkfirephoenix

Just read a bit more about Tiberium "infection" and here is some nasty stuff: It can also infect the lungs if you inhale small particles of it.
So you not only need clothing that protects you from TOUCHING it but also some kind of filter-mask so you don't breathe it in.

BUT Tiberium won't just emit particles into the air, you either have to damage existing crystals (harvesting/processing/destroying) or stand near a thing that emits Tiberium particles on its own (Tiberium tree)

Thyme

Quote from: Helixien on January 07, 2017, 05:08:15 PM
The concept of C&C 4 was a nice idea, just the execution was done horrible!
One of the central things of CnC was base building. I'm glad EA did not develop a game where they abandoned that!

TiberianSun is my reference point in the Tiberium universe. CnC3 was a lot of fun, especially the unpatched version with the OP harvesters, but it can't compete. It feels more like a spin-off because it's so different. You would do me, and I guess many others, a favour, when you would consider compatibility with TibSun for added features. <- 2 Cents
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Telefonmast

Quote from: Bodog999 on January 07, 2017, 09:58:50 PM
Maybe a little thing for after v2.0 but would it be possible to get the base defences of the GDI and NOD factions as turrets?
Yes there will be enough defense buildings from the factions - if not all defense buildings.

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on January 08, 2017, 03:32:51 AM
Just read a bit more about Tiberium "infection" and here is some nasty stuff: It can also infect the lungs if you inhale small particles of it.

I did read about Tiberium, there is barely anything I do not know - as long as I haven't forgotten it.
But this goes back to what I previously mentioned - so please read the posts made by the devs, they might just tell you everything you want to know.

It's all possible, those are just small details that not even C&C games implemented in their games.
So we haven't worked on those for the sake of taking priorities.

Quote from: Thyme on January 08, 2017, 04:17:57 AM
TiberianSun is my reference point in the Tiberium universe. CnC3 was a lot of fun, especially the unpatched version with the OP harvesters, but it can't compete. It feels more like a spin-off because it's so different. You would do me, and I guess many others, a favour, when you would consider compatibility with TibSun for added features.

First of all, that's just an opinion.
I for example never really got to play any of the older games to an full extent, because my childhood was C&C3 so the older games kinda went past me - so for me, my reference points are Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath.
With all the bits and pieces, may it be details, lore or whatnot added from older games aswell.

And I don't understand your meaning of "compatability" in this context, is it that you want us to base this off of Tiberian Sun instead of other games?
If so, we cannot grant it, as this mod is about the Tiberium universe as a whole - not just about one game that did it right - and no personal opinions about certain corporations should interfere in this.

As I always like to preach it:
Please suggest what you would like to see!
In as much detail as possible.
- My mod project

Thyme

Yes, it was intended as my opinion and a suggestion, knowing that it's your mod and that you put in it what you like (you posted this like 5 posts above). I did/do not want to dictate how you guys should make your mod and thought that's clear the way I wrote it. Sorry for the confusion, I just like it when short thoughts get only few lines. As for the "compatibility", that might have been a bad choice of words. TibSun plays a major role for most CnC fans so I asked to give it enough weight.

PS: If you want to play Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, it's free to download for a few years now. It even works on my Windows 8.1 ;)
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Telefonmast

Quote from: Thyme on January 08, 2017, 08:36:27 AM
Yes, it was intended as my opinion and a suggestion, knowing that it's your mod and that you put in it what you like (you posted this like 5 posts above). I did/do not want to dictate how you guys should make your mod and thought that's clear the way I wrote it. Sorry for the confusion, I just like it when short thoughts get only few lines. As for the "compatibility", that might have been a bad choice of words. TibSun plays a major role for most CnC fans so I asked to give it enough weight.

PS: If you want to play Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, it's free to download for a few years now. It even works on my Windows 8.1 ;)

I was a bit tired while writing that response - so I apologize for sounding rather rude.
And as mentioned, we try to make it a nice Tiberium experience - so if you have any exact ideas of what you want to see from Tiberian Sun in our mod, it would be nice if you would also suggest those ideas more directly.
Weighting is a bit wrong to say as we look at the *whole* of Tiberium as already mentioned - and if that certain idea is from that certain game and we like it, there will be no real opinion over that game.

- My mod project

Boogeyman

Great mod. A few thoughts.
- There needs to be a way to reclaim soil. If not, you effectively have a timer on your map.
- Animals should avoid the tiberium. Currently they randomly wander into it, which can be annoying if you forget to set your zones whenever you get new animals.
- The tiberium suit is great, but it is rather boring to have everyone in the same outfit, which also covers them completely.
- Currently you have to manually harvest tiberium since you can't set growing zone on it.