[B18] TiberiumRim v1.7 - A Command & Conquer Mod for RimWorld

Started by Telefonmast, December 29, 2016, 11:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueLance213

Quote from: bobucles on February 27, 2017, 10:21:08 AM
QuoteJust call caravans for red crystals
Then you have to wait 4 days for a caravan that might not have a red crystal, then wait 8 days for the cooldown to the next carvan. Tiberium can run rampant in less than a month! That's also assuming you have the Comm console, which is another step of research.

I am not sure if your settings are different from mine but it only takes me ~2 days to get a trade to arrive from the time i call it, and then ~1 day from the time it leaves to recall it. Plus you are usually always friendly with two factions at the beginning.

I play with only this mod, Randy Random on the third hardest difficulty, Not sure if me being in a temperate forest affects it but I am on an island haha

Madman666

Regardless of what and how much time it takes to call a trader its still a gamble with a map as a stake - you lost several dice rolls for blue or red crystal in trader stock - go find a new home, because previous one is occupied with tiberium)) You can have more dice rolls if you play on huge map, as it takes more time to make it uninhabitable, but as a downside you can't really control tiberium growth on huge maps even with all tech researched - just too many places to be at the same time. Tiberium spread and danger level is fine (even can be added a bit), but research should really be faster and easier, because you have to start crunching on tiberium as soon as it first spawns, otherwise you'll still either lose whole map or will be living in green wasteland with a small chunk separated by inhibitors.

TerrorThomasCao

I don't know if this is supposed to happen but in all 3 of my new colonies about 5-6 days in I got a red monolith, a blue monolith, a green crater, and a mutated tree all within 5 seconds...

BlueLance213

Quote from: TerrorThomasCao on March 02, 2017, 01:37:03 AM
I don't know if this is supposed to happen but in all 3 of my new colonies about 5-6 days in I got a red monolith, a blue monolith, a green crater, and a mutated tree all within 5 seconds...

I don't think is meant to happen haha its just down to luck at that point, the best shot I had is when a meteor fell and it gave me enough resources to make the station and research it.

TerrorThomasCao

Yeah, it makes me kind of sad. I was going to shoot it down (takes forever with a 18 people colony) but the amount of time it's going to take 3 people to kill it will probably kill my colony. Going to restart and see if I can get it not in the middle of my base  :/

BlueLance213

Quote from: TerrorThomasCao on March 02, 2017, 09:17:41 PM
Yeah, it makes me kind of sad. I was going to shoot it down (takes forever with a 18 people colony) but the amount of time it's going to take 3 people to kill it will probably kill my colony. Going to restart and see if I can get it not in the middle of my base  :/

I usually get two people to shoot at them either at a distance if they don't have suits or point blank if they do, take about 3 days though of shooting from dusk till dawn, its a long process haha, I have over 20 colonists now with Tiberium protection suits so I dont have an issue now, Harvest the ones i need and destroy the ones I dont

vinzzz001

Here is my view on the mod thus-far.
This will be followed by suggestions for the mod.

My experience with this mod
The requirements to build a tiberium research bench are too high, while research itself isn't complete yet. When I started on a normal world, as a rich explorer, after some time a mutated tree event happened. Green tiberium started spreading, while I could do nothing to stop it without tiberium protection-suits. Although some traders wandered in with suits, as they are really expensive, I could only buy them after the green tiberium swallowed about a quarter of my world.

Stopping the tiberium growth was possible only because of the cold weather and the snow in the boreal forest, slowing it down, until I had a tiberium suit. In the warmer period following that it grew as fast as I could clear it. (I had 2 complete suits during that period) Moreover, even though I had 2000+ green tiberium, and some blue tiberium that had dropped with pods, I had no red tiberium, and thus no way to start researching.

Since there seem to be no tiberium selling organizations (as in, I can't buy it anywhere, Yet I can buy the research books by the dozen), the moment I had the red tiberium needed (by cheating the event), I completed all research in a few days, before not even needing the iron produced by the green tiberium, the only tiberium that currently grew on the map.

My suggestions;
-More protective gear against tiberium.
-Reworked tiberium poisoning.
-Refined and liquid tiberium.
-Better spread out, and more research, centred around tiberium.

Underneath here I will explain the suggestions. Starting with More protective gear and saving research for last.

More protective gear.
Currently, one can only harvest the needed tiberium to do research after collecting a tiberium protection suit. This process takes a long while, and the only other option would be to sacrifice some pawn to gather enough tiberium to be able to research the suits ourselves. 

A plausible answer to this problem would be a lower tier protection suit, that can be made before harvesting any tiberium. The distinction between basic and advanced(current), would be that the basic gear wears down faster, might have a chance to get poisoned, doesn't work in blue/red tiberium, or the pawn can only stay inside tiberium for so long before needing to go somewhere safe.

Reworked tiberium poisoning.
-Currently tiberium poisoning happens inside 1 place at a time. That place gets "infected" and does not truly spread, even when staying inside a tiberium field. What I expect to happen is; staying in a tiberium field does not only speed up the infection, but other parts also get infected. Once you leave the field however, the infection rate slows down a lot.
The lungs and uncovered skin are the most likely to be infected.

Refined and liquid tiberium
Its in the name, really. Nothing special here.

Research
Currently the cost for the research bench is incredible high. This can be divided by making the research bank cheaper, but having to add in certain analysis nodes (kind of like a multi-analyser) to allow certain researches.

It would work like this; After crafting a 'Green Tiberium' book, one can craft a 'Green Tiberium Analysis Node' using the research book just made. This can be placed near the research bench like a multi-analyser, and is required for certain researches.

I hope these ideas help a bit, and wish you good luck in further developing this mod.

Telefonmast

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Your suggestions are appreciated, I will see how much of that will become a thing.
Some of it has been fixed already though, so be prepared for 1.3!
Telefonmast - Ready to give you good phone connection!
- My mod project

TerrorThomasCao

Is it changed so I don't get two monoliths, two meteors, and a blossom tree in my first week yet? No hate, just curious because it is literally breaking my game.

vinzzz001

Here is an elaboration on what I think the most optimal version of the tiberium poisoning would be in rimworld.

Frostbite might serve as a good base for tiberium poisoning. After the player gets a certain value for "cold" the frostbite will be applied. If the players stays cold, it will be applied in more places and worsen. Using this as base for the tiberium poisoning, the player will get a 'tiberium exposure' de-buff when walking through (or maybe near) tiberium fields. This will increase rapidly unless the player is clothed in protective gear. Moving to a safer place will really slowly reduce the de-buff.

When the tiberium exposure reaches a certain level, 'Tiberium Toxemia' may happen. This can happen as Poisoning, Assimilation or Mutation.

Tiberium poisoning would cause all kinds of randomized bad effects like reduced metabolism, reduced blood pumping/filtration and other negative effects, and would last really long. (these are the effects of low level tiberium exposure according to the cnc wikia).

Tiberium assimilation is when tiberium starts growing on, or in, your body. Its fatal really quickly, if it spreads into vital organs. It is mostly the same as the current 'natural tiberium poisoning', except for the fact that it spreads to other body parts.

Tiberium assimilation can happen by breathing in small tiberium particles, falling over and touching a piece of tiberium, or cutting yourself on a sharp edge of a tiberium crystal, leaving the particles in the wound. The current only cure is amputation.

If a mutation happens during the assimilation process, the host will adapt to the tiberium.
my suggestions for mutants are;
-Extremely low chance of occurring.
-Immune to tiberium exposure and poisoning. (or even dependant/addicted to tiberium radiation)
-Assimilation won't be fatal, and there might even be positive effects. (maybe some positive and negative ones so it can't be abused)
-Immune to further mutation?

Underneath here are some more random suggestions.
-Dangerous raw tiberium? (Accidents happen. Working with this probably requires a suit.)
-Tiberium Silo (for save storage, reasons above).
-Different kinds of tiberium are harvest able from tiberium plants? (so you can make it on a map with 1 kind of tiberium)
-Interactions with luciferium? (immune to tiberium? Guaranteed addicted mutant? Other?)
-Different rates of exposure for different kinds of tiberium
-Deepdrilling and tiberium veins
-Mutation happens during low tiberium exposure instead of during assimilation. (More lore-friendly, lower chance, but players can use this to try go for a mutant).

Telefonmast

The Infection ideas are really good, looking on how to implement it.
No promises how it might turn out though.
Telefonmast - Ready to give you good phone connection!
- My mod project

NEPH

New tiberium environment for 1.3

Madman666

Wow, looks menacing. Did you, guys, change how crystals look and their spacing? It kinda looks more stuffed together now. Previous crystal sprites also looked much brighter green. I think previous ones were nicer)) Brighter more poisonous green color and also crystals looked more... clear? It kinda looks like they are blurred now.

ThiiSoul

Hi, I'm new here. But I have already used this mod before in a back version. I upgraded to the new one but I have a horrible problem with this one. It is much cooler and has new "machines" like researcher of tiberium or refinery but the mod itself, when the crystal "tiberium" is spreading it is damaging my "mountains" and even my own structures, And this really discourages me a lot.  :'(
I do not know if it's bug or it's kind of an extra difficulty for this new version to be more "hardcore", but there's no way for me to disable this horrible occurrence of damaging the mountains and structures as it spreads? :-\
ps¹: I remember that in the previous version I played I did not have this problem of eroding my walls or mountain.  :'( :'( :'(

ps²: I'm sorry for possible writing errors, English is not my natural language.

Nanao-kun

Thiisoul, the Tiberium destroying walls is a feature. You need to use Sonic Inhibitors to stop the spread.