Is this supposed to happen?

Started by Jakub k., December 29, 2016, 04:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakub k.

My current colony is located on one of the poles with a winter temperature of -111,Celsius.Somewhere I have heard that raiders are now smarter and arrive with better gear,but it seems that at these temperatures,I mostly only get mechanoids,like i already fought 5 scythers (no exaggerations).Is this intentional?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jakub k.

allright thanks,i was wondering.
Now that i have lost a hand to a scyther I'll stay away from cold biomes :D

Zhentar

To expand a little on Skully's answer, raiders don't arrive with better gear because it would make it easy for the player to acquire warm weather gear (and meat). So to preserve the challenge of intensely cold maps, you get mechanoids instead of happy meals with wool parka prizes.

Jakub k.

oh right yea! It is quite a struggle to keep fighting all those mechanoids..with a one man colony.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Shurp

I think it has more to do with the fact that even with parkas and wooly underwear the pirates would freeze solid in 5 minutes at -111'C.  So the game doesn't send them, or caravans either.  You only get what can survive the cold.  Mechanoids, mechanoids, and ice giants.

Oh, wait, this is Rimworld, not Discworld.  Sorry, no ice giants.  Just mechanoids.

[edit] btw, at -78.5'C carbon dioxide freezes solid.  So your colonists are exhaling snow as they walk around outside.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: Shurp on December 29, 2016, 06:10:51 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that even with parkas and wooly underwear the pirates would freeze solid in 5 minutes at -111'C.  So the game doesn't send them, or caravans either.  You only get what can survive the cold.  Mechanoids, mechanoids, and ice giants.

Oh, wait, this is Rimworld, not Discworld.  Sorry, no ice giants.  Just mechanoids.

Well now I want someone to make an Ice Giant mod...

Jakub k.

mod? no no...this needs to be added to the core game! TYNAN!!! xD

Shurp

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on December 29, 2016, 06:12:53 PM

LOL, neat idea.  Hmmm, if fires can throw off heat, can someone hack the game so that ice giants throw off cold and freeze nearby colonists?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Grishnerf

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on December 29, 2016, 06:12:53 PM

rincewind has to be in it then too!
a permanent joining wanderer that not really joins and stays "solo" and just does stupid things.
like Walking next to some stonewalls and turning them all into Gold.
you feel happy til you realize that he used your Gold from the stockpile. etc..
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Zhentar

[edit] btw, at -78.5'C carbon dioxide freezes solid.  So your colonists are exhaling snow as they walk around outside.

A wool parka by itself is enough for a pawn to not only survive -111C but also be comfortable while they do it.

The vapor pressure of carbon dioxide at 1 atmosphere of earth-like composition is far too low to form any meaningful amount of solids. Any CO2 that freezes will sublimate back to vapor near instantly.

Jakub k.

what a cool nerd science battle,

fight,fight FIGHT!

Bozobub

It's not a fight; Zhentar has it right on the money.  Even at the coldest exterior temperature ever measured on Earth's surface — -89.2 °C at Vostok Station in Antarctica (-128.6 °F) — no, the CO2 didn't rain or snow out ^^' .

Be VERY grateful that doesn't happen, by the by; it would cause a vicious cycle as all the greenhouse gasses precipitate out, thus decreasing temperatures even more.
Thanks, belgord!

Jakub k.

dank memes

Bozobub

There was nothing in this thread about global warming or "theoretical science", in fact, until you brought up those subjects.  There's literally nothing theoretical about the behavior of CO2 (and other gasses) in these macroscopic conditions; it's all empirically verified.
Thanks, belgord!