Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer_joins

It doesn't, but it was Rhadamant opening. All the challenge is in the intial opening, if you kill it with bulk traders there is no fun :)

Mikash0

Challenge completed!
It was the longest game I have ever played.
There is a picture of my colony: http://imgur.com/a/tE6Ez

charliesusername

ugh...on my someodd 30th attempt:
I got smelting up quickly and had like 4 cargo drops in 3 days (food, bricks, cloth + SLAG) and a thrumbo in my pile. Get a couple bruises in a tribal raid but they heal. So things were looking really good at 30 days in.

Then I got plague. I can't heal plague. Escape pod drops at 80% and he's an 8 in medicine, but he so far away. We end up dying in each others arms.

This wasn't the furthest I had gotten, or nearly the most desperate I had been (it was the first time I got plague though) But because it had happened on such a promising run, and was completely unpreventable (no one dropped any plague meds yet) made this much more crushing.

Anyway, on to 31.

JimmyAgnt007

I didnt use the save file here but I did set my own up along the same lines.  The first bit was tough since I only wanted to recruit cannibals.  The one exception of course was a doctor that joined me just in time to treat my plague.  Once I was safe I ate him. 

almost 15 years later I have this base of cannibals, http://jimmyagent007.deviantart.com/art/Rimworld-Sea-Ice-Challenge-670635217

It was a lot of fun getting there but I think I am at the end of what I can do unless I just want to keep expanding to fill the whole map.

cheesetard

solo vs scyther(raid) is impossible. if there are any tips, please.
I'm starting to see them 20+ days in.

edit: wait... does research increase the chances for higher number of hostiles + mechs?

Wanderer_joins

There are other events which are game ending when you're solo: infection, plague, a bad bleeding, a mental break during a raid...

There is not much to do against an early scyther, you can try to outrange it with a sniper rifle if you're lucky enough, you can try to use your charged rifle covered by walls/sanbags, or try door dancing, but there is still a chance you get killed.

I don't think research is factored in the scale of the threat

Greep

Research has no effect on raid threat :P  Wealth does, so probably a good idea to use crappy gear xD
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Ganga

Well i did it:

Sea Ice extreme mode, Randy Random and rough level of difficulty. Currently building a ship. 210 days pass.

Story is somehow like that:

Day 1: I landed on deserted. Its freaking cold here. I have to build some shelter, get some power and heater asap.

Day 2: I've counted my food supplies. I have 10 days to go. I build trade becon and communication station and research table. I will dedicate myself to science .

Day 5: Still no caravans or anything... had i expected there is nothing here !
Day 6: Right someone tried to attack me, i killed him, striped and make him a nice grave outside, who knows maybe i will have to eat him later.
Day 7: Another attack - more black hour food. Okey i finish my  researches, now i know how i can plant some food in this ice hell, yet i dont have supplies for that....
Day 10: Finally a bulk trade Caravan ! They had everything i had. Food, Steal, Wood.
Day 11: Finally i start to planting some rice for me, the sun lamp consumes tons of energy, constructed additional wind turbine and few batters
Day 12: From now on my days will looks like that: Planting, Cutting, Research, gathering scrap metals. Im working on technology to melt those into steel.
Day 15: Someone tried to join my colony, sorry bro i dont have food for you. Killed him striped and buried his body. I have 6 graves in 'garden already'
Day: 16: I build machine to refining scrap metal, it consumes alot of energy. I have to build another wind turbine to be able to handle this.
Day 19: After 3 days of switching off/on sun lamp i can finally build another wind turbine
Day 23: Another guy had joined - same story. 11 Graves  already
Day 25: Im ruining out of food, i used my becon to request a bulk trade caravan. Buying some steel, food and wood. I will build more
Day: 40: Continuing my research - i dont know if i stay any day longer because of some powers problem in last days i lost all my food.
Day 41: Well... i used some ...guests from my collection in garden.... i dont know if i will be able to do it again but i guess i will have to
Day: 44: No troubles so far, finally i have enough rice to stop using my black hour supplies
Day 60:  My Rice plant is ruining smoothly i have some extra food now. I also was able to get some extra resources from Cargo Drops
Day 80: I start to have alot of job, planting, cutting, melting, researching. I have some extra food and im starting to feel somehow lonely
Day 100: I let Daniel stay in my colony - he will be useful....for now.
Day 120: Nothing special, some raids, some cargo pots - i think i finally start to see chance to survive this. PS. Daniel is quite nice.
Day 130: Whoah what a nice cargo drop, also a bulk trade caravan, we get some steel and wood and some silver in case we wll have to call another caravana
Day 180: Okey here what we have, 6 rice plant, 4 wind generator and one solar, Hi-Tech lab, oh and me and Daniel have a bedroom - and we get married !
Day 190: Another guy want to join our colony...after digging already 42 graves im done, i let this guy stay here.
Day 191: Turns out it was a good choice, he had a great idea, he and daniel went as trade caravana to other colony - 9 days of travel in total - lets hope it was a good choice
Day 200: They come back with a lot of silver. Also meanwhile i had a great idea, i build small prison and capture one of raiders - guess what, i sold him. We are rich now.
Day 201: We build multi-analyzer.
Day 210: new guy ... how he was ? Black ? have his own bedroom, raids get much more frequent. I think we will build defense system.

PS ( Almost entire research tree done )

Screenshot: http://i63.tinypic.com/2gwf7s1.png

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Ganga on April 02, 2017, 08:55:20 AM...
Day 25: Im ruining out of food, i used my becon to request a bulk trade caravan. Buying some steel, food and wood. I will build more
How did you request a caravan?! Did the summer temperatures rise enough so that Muffalos can survive at the south pole?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

charliesusername

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 02, 2017, 02:26:20 PM

How did you request a caravan?! Did the summer temperatures rise enough so that Muffalos can survive at the south pole?

I'm curious about that too.

I will say that Randy is much more forgiving than Casandra. I'm 80 days in on my first Randy Extreme attempt. Probably because all the random cargo drops are much more desirable than the raids cassandra throws at you. I've also noticed a higher frequency of trade ships

Wanderer_joins

Play new tribe to disable the comm console for a while

cheesetard

prolly not cold enough if a trading caravan goes through =)
you should try the map included.. cold snap and can hit as low as -140c

Wanderer_joins

You can disable the "trade caravan arrival" event in the scenario editor.

Ganga

Quote from: charliesusername on April 02, 2017, 11:37:55 PM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 02, 2017, 02:26:20 PM

I'm curious about that too.

I will say that Randy is much more forgiving than Casandra. I'm 80 days in on my first Randy Extreme attempt. Probably because all the random cargo drops are much more desirable than the raids cassandra throws at you. I've also noticed a higher frequency of trade ships

When i  was deployed there was 'summer'  -25 during day and -45 during night.  Then after summer end i could not request caravans. But yeah cargo drops was very helpful there. Without this or trade ships i would die tons of time.

Heiach

I totally forgot to post this here, I figured the challenge author would be interested to see how (badly) I did!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQdhSwI0X4&list=PLySWle9ZKHFjFmGpFB-FKja1j9PLocXXR&index=1
I stream on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/heiach