Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamant

Hi fellow RimWorlders!

I propose the following challenge to all of you. The challenge is, simply, to survive by any means possible. You'll start out with a single predetermined pawn, Engie, who has amazing traits and great stats. You'll get the same resources you'd receive in a 'The Rich Explorer' scenario, but no pet. I can't wait to hear your stories, good luck.

Challenge Save File: http://bit.ly/2iH2lye
Intro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJm7oMm4ZFo

Save Game folder location: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

*Note that your drive letter may be different on your computer and the UserName will most certainly be different.

Good luck!!

EDIT

YEEEHAW! I've blasted off into space on a ship I've constructed. My Sea Ice Community Challenge is now over. It took 249 days of living on an Sea Ice, but , alas, my efforts in this challenge have come to a close. Here's the entire Let's Play.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHqSuWJSw8SBSI3wQDmg3C4LBoYWAOh0o

Quasarrgames

I like this idea!

Could there be a hardcore mode where you have to survive on an ice sheet where the average temperature is -90C or lower (aka at the poles of a planet with the lowest temperature setting)?

At that point it would be more about how long you could survive, and i doubt the highest score would be more than a season or two.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Rhadamant

I've already survived in episode one of my attempt at Sea Ice Community Challenge for more than a season (19 days) and it's -174F out (-114C).

Here's that episode if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kV4PHuKl2A

Jakub k.

nice self advertising bro :P

i might try this,i didnt know you could settle on the sea ice biome.

Rhadamant

Yeah, it's totally a unique challenge, that's for sure.

Sola

This is my kind of game!

Run 1: Completely overestimated how long I could survive -122F temps.  Dead before I finished the first room.

Run 2 is looking much better.  I've got sustainable energy and heat, and I might be able to finish Hydroponics in time.  Unfortunately, I wasted too many of my building resources.  Starting over!

Run 3:
Day 1: I had to sleep in the same room as an open campfire to keep hypothermia from taking my fingers.  How bad could it possibly be?

Day 2: My zero in research is showing, as I struggle with the "hydropponics for dummies" book.  It might take me a few weeks, but I got this.

Day 6: A new person showed up.  Her name is Jade.  She has a nice parka, an appropriate hat, and she's going to eat my dwindling food supplies.  ..I mean she's going to help me research hydroponics!
Day 6, ten minutes later: Jade thought it'd be fun to dance around in the nude, At least she was a big girl, and will keep me fed a while.  Plus hey!  Free hat!

Day 7: A girl named Kit called out for help.  She's being chased by some pirates.  I'd LOVE to help her out!  14 in medicine, 13 in research.  She seems like she'd be a real superstar addition to my team!  However, there is a very important test she must pass before I allow her into my little bungalow.  I give her a knife and let her fight off the pirate.  If she wins, she gets a sleeping spot next to mine.

Day 7, ten minutes later:  Kit manages to kill her pursuer, but succumbs to hypothermia seconds later.  Gotta do SOMETHING with these corpses!

Day 9: Solar Eclipse.  Oh balls.  There goes the last of my wood.  Better build a battery to prevent this from happening again.

Day 9: An escape pod lands near me!  Unfortunately, I'm far too busy to go out and save him.  Maybe he'll come by later?

Day 10: Eclipse ends, and I manage to salvage exactly 20 wood.  If I get a solar flare, I'll be able to make another campfire.  Hydroponics progress 232/700.  I wish Kit and Jade didn't die tragically.

Day 11: I caught the plague.  Better get some rest!

Day 12: As I try to amputate my whole body (the place the plague is located) I can't help but feel the slightest tinge of regret, that maybe I should not have forced Kit to go through her entrance exam.

Ded'd by plague.

Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Pathing

You may interest to do this
Quote- solo, tribe, flash storm, toxic fallout, cold snap, Eclipse, Volcanic winter, Flat terrain, very cold region.
I tried this and it was okay except that I couldn't start in winter on ice sheet, A14, before. You may be able to do this on sea ice. I think it may be doable because Tyran added caravan system allowing players to access resources from nearby regions.

Your video is pretty good. I think you can improve your home such as not using door (yeah, not using door, I am not sure if it is still possible in A16) or corner, use a bed due to sleeping factor, not stating your home at the center of the map (It is not useful on dangerous regions) or stopping using normal base designs which most players always do to be able to survive in more dangerous enviroment.

If you try my scenario, you may restart your colony at least 2-3 times for sure  ::)
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

Sola

Run 4: I caught early frostbite setting up my house, it became infected.  Dead by infection on day 3.

Run 5: First settler that joins is Engie's husband.  Great.  A permanent -25 mood.  Just what i needed.
A spaceship chunk drops, allowing me to build a third heater.  I now have two turbines, a battery, and three heaters, which is enough to keep hypothermia from killing me indefinitely.  Now I only need to worry about food.
A thrumbo came along and froze, giving me another 35 meals.  Worth!
Fibrous mechanites came about, bringing Engie down to extreme break risk levels.  Nice.  These mechanites' increased tiredness kept tapping out her ability to cook food, and I only managed to cook about half the thrumbo meat before the campfire expired.
...Then a solar flare hit.  Put on a parka and a tuque, but it's no use.  Inside hits -200F and Engie expires before the flare ends.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

Rhadamant

Quote from: Pathing on December 30, 2016, 01:23:44 AM
You may interest to do this
Quote- solo, tribe, flash storm, toxic fallout, cold snap, Eclipse, Volcanic winter, Flat terrain, very cold region.
I tried this and it was okay except that I couldn't start in winter on ice sheet, A14, before. You may be able to do this on sea ice. I think it may be doable because Tyran added caravan system allowing players to access resources from nearby regions.

Your video is pretty good. I think you can improve your home such as not using door (yeah, not using door, I am not sure if it is still possible in A16) or corner, use a bed due to sleeping factor, not stating your home at the center of the map (It is not useful on dangerous regions) or stopping using normal base designs which most players always do to be able to survive in more dangerous enviroment.

If you try my scenario, you may restart your colony at least 2-3 times for sure  ::)

Your scenario sounds interesting for sure. So far on my playthru I've survived one year, I've made mistakes but I think it's going well.

mumblemumble

You wacky rimworld challenge guys.

Here I struggle with a too far north tundra, and you guys are surviving on sea ice.

I hope tynan makes an active volcano biome, just so I could see you glorious, suicidal bastards (I mean that in an endearing way) give it a shot.

Seriously, even if I can't do this to save my life, seeing you guys try makes my day.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Rhadamant

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 30, 2016, 10:31:14 AM

Here I struggle with a too far north tundra, and you guys are surviving on sea ice.

I hope tynan makes an active volcano biome, just so I could see you glorious, suicidal bastards (I mean that in an endearing way) give it a shot.

Seriously, even if I can't do this to save my life, seeing you guys try makes my day.

Oh man! I'm about to get to my ONE YEAR mark in my Sea Ice survival playthru. Volcanoes would be my wetdream.

Quasarrgames

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 30, 2016, 10:31:14 AM

I agree with you so much! It took me five tries to survive on the equator of extremely cold planets, surviving on the poles is incredible.

And yes, a volcano biome would be SO GREAT! I'd love to build bases out of basalt and obsidian on a plain of volcanic glass, with occasional fire storms raining down like mortar shells around the base.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Rhadamant

A lot of my survival is luck, to be honest. Once upon a time it would take me five tries to live on the equator too, but slowly you understand the nuances to the game to allow you for a more successful play thru. Hopefully you'll try out this community challenge soon!

Sola

Run 6: I get greedy, trying to make my starting room too big.  I get two fail-to-constructs, and it takes the fire too long to heat.  I lose two digits to frostbite and bleed out.

Run 7: First wandering join was her husband again.  I decide to restart instead of fight with -25 mood again.

Run 8: Serious hypothermia gives way to two frostbites in the first room, because of a fail-to-construct.  One of these becomes infected.  I'm getting to think the beginning part of this challenge may be more luck than not.

Run 9: Good start.  No fail to construct, don't touch serious hypothermia.  I spend the whole time constructing and deconstructing graves in the house while waiting for the body temp to come back to normal (and hit 10 construction on first day.  Slick).  Got everything roofed and researching hydroponics.  Just gotta debate whether or not I wanna call in traders just to watch 'em freeze.

Also, in your video, perhaps I saw the wrong thing, but do you have 6 in research with burning passion on Engie?  On the save I have, she's 0 with no interest.  Not like it matters, though.  You get a lot of downtime, and the only critical tech is Hydroponics, which you get long before you can use it.

DeathWeasel

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

On my first attempt Engie died of hypothermia.

Second attempt I got a house set up but quickly realized I didn't spend my resources optimally and wasn't going to make it in the long run.

Third attempt I build the house with silver walls. Set up a base with one heater and one campfire. Started research on electric smelting. Spending my resources just right, I have enough steel to build the smelter to get more of that sweet, sweet steel from drop pod slag and raider weapons. A raider generously donated a wool parka just in time. As the last piece of wood in the campfire burned out, the room dropped to -100 degrees but it was survivable now that Engie had a wool parka. After much smelting, I set up a coms console and trade beacon and got a bulk goods trader fairly quickly. I bought plenty of wood and steel after selling piles of spare clothes. Started work on what would eventually become my hydroponics rooms, but then a mechanoid raid showed up. Engie managed to down both scythers, but took a charge rifle shot to the stomach and bled out on the 3rd of spring 5501.