Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

Run 5, Day 25. A siege? Interesting. It's going to be funny to watch... HOLY SHIT THEY BROUGHT ME 400 STEEL

snoodog

N+1: Died from Hypothermia on day 1. Forgot to order Engine to stay inside, she went out to haul things to the scrap pile and died:

N+2: Got to about day 15 with 2 colonists. Engine has a breakdown as wanders right as a Raid hits, everyone dies.

N+3: Tomorrow

XeoNovaDan

Yeah, I struck some minor success when checking out a part of a video on this, but then Engie got an infection from frostbite that she contracted while waiting for temps to rise, so I knew she was doomed. This was 7 hours ago but then I had to go to school

Will try it again some time this evening (in the UK)

Edit: Also just noticed this is also on Extreme, which is out of my league in itself (still keeping it Extreme though). I typically play on Intense :P

Quasarrgames

run 1: died before shelter could be put up

run 2: lasted a season, but got no traders, had to eat human meat, and a new colonist (engie's husband) went insane from it and burned the house down. Never under any circumstances recruit pyromaniacs here.

run 3: Engie got a trader and was about to start constructing hydroponics when she got sick with the flu and was attacked by 3 raiders with rifles and died

run 4: Lasted a whole year! Engie's brother came along early on, he was a psychopath, which was great because he could butcher and eat the corpses with no side effect. No traders in sight, so i tried to send him to the nearest town to get some steel. But we ran out of food so he had to return before he got there.
Then he started mental breaking from other things after a couple raids and i decided to let him freeze. Bad idea. Big happiness loss, plus Engie got sick with sensory mechanites. Silver lining though, she was attacked by 12 raiders, and due to her heightened senses she killed all of them herself! She is a steely eyed missile woman!
After many seasons, a seige! Most of the siegers died of hypothermia, gifting me with 400 units of sweet sweet steel! Got one hydroponics table up and some power. Then a 17 year old pyromaniac with good skills came along I decide to keep her for some reason. All this food rains down from the sky, so Engie doesn't go insane.
Pyromaniac does, however, and burns down the whole place. Dead.
NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW A PYROMANIAC INTO YOUR COLONY.

run 5: Tried the smelter approach. Took over a season to research it. Just as i finish building it and go to use it, the power cuts off, engie goes insane right outside the front door, and dies of hypothermia.

Now the game's just messing with me.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Sola

Quote from: Shurp on January 03, 2017, 10:47:05 PM
Run 5, Day 9:
   Engie rejects a distress call.  Why does anyone ever bother with these useless losers?

Synthread and hyperweave clothes sell for quite a bit.  Human corpses supply both meat and leather in a pinch.  The raiders might be carrying wool parkas.

Also, agree on the pyromaniac thing.  Zzzt! is one of the most devastating things that can happen, if it starts in the wrong place.  Having a pyromaniac is just another source of those.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Shurp

Quote from: Zhentar on January 04, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
Which means if you micro to the point that she always eats at 0% instead of 20%, you can stretch your food supply out twice as long.

==== DAYUM !!! ===

Looks like Engie is going to have to learn to enjoy being hungry!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Quote from: Quasarrgames on January 04, 2017, 11:53:20 AM
Just as i finish building it and go to use it, the power cuts off, engie goes insane right outside the front door, and dies of hypothermia.

How does one survive a solar flare in this challenge?  It's not like there's much wood lying around to start a campfire to keep warm with...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Zhentar

I always try to keep enough wood on hand for a campfire until I have good enough clothing to survive a winter solar flare without it (~-130C min comfortable temperature). A construction failure on my research bench prevented that in my current run; I would've replaced wood walls with silver ones to scrape together the 20 wood if need be.

snoodog

Run N+3:
Everything is going great day 15 killed a couple raiders got my smelter going.
Day 16: Plague - Game over you die 0 chance of survival. And im f$%*ing done. I need mods to fix this broken shit medicine/disease system in A16 I hate it so damn much.

Zhentar

Dammit. Run 5, Day 44: Everything is going well, except for Skye's mental breaks after getting addicted to the wakeup I foolishly bought from a pirate.

Oh look, a mechanoid drop pod raid, with two centipedes.

Everyone is dead. I was not even remotely close to prepared to fight off two centipedes, and particularly not the one with an inferno cannon.

Zhentar

I was watching Rhadamant's play video to see again how he started, and heard him say something about hypothermia recovery time, so I decided I should check the exact mechanics.

My main takeaways:

• The more severe the hypothermia, the faster the recovery. Recovering from 30% doesn't take twice as long as from 15%, it's only about 50% longer.
  • The temperature only has to be above the minimum comfy temperature. It doesn't matter by how much
  • The risk of frostbite starts at 37%

So early game, it's best to stay outside working until about 30-35% before coming in to warm up; less time waiting for Engie to recover and less time waiting for the room temperature to recover than with more, shorter trips outside.

Shurp

Hmmm, plague and inferno cannons definitely don't work in this scenario.

But... how much colony wealth did you have at that point?  Maybe you need to take on a few extra colonists once you have the sausage factory going.

(My colony is worth 14451 after 17 days.  Once I get my stove built I can probably start feeding more colonists.  Remember, meatbags are the only renewable resource out here)

Shurp

Quote from: Quasarrgames on January 04, 2017, 11:53:20 AM
Now the game's just messing with me.

No question about it, the game intentionally messes with you.

Day 19: Engie celebrates because she built her second heater and her bedroom is nice and toasty warm now.
   A solar flare immediately follows.

Zhentar

I was up to 50600 wealth, and I had three pawns (and I was feeding them without any cannibalism!), but they weren't particularly good fighters and one was having a mental break (although dancing around with a personal shield still contributed quite a bit more than nothing).

I suspect the three pawn was actually part of the problem - I got a lot more hauling done than usual, and there wasn't any slag left on the entire map.

The next thing I need to look into is how gear on buried corpses works. I suspect that it doesn't decay and also doesn't count towards wealth. If both are true, then I should skip stripping the and bury them with the gear on, and dig them up when an orbital trader arrives; it would save quite a bit of space and hauling if I can do it that way.

Zhentar

Gear on corpses counts towards colony wealth, buried or not. It does not decay while buried though, so I probably will bury the ones with crap gear just for stockpile management and less hauling.

What are people using for their starting room? I tried making a 4x4 without using my exploit-y unbuilt NPD double wall, and it couldn't stay warm enough so Engie got a lot of frostbite overnight.