Sea Ice Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, December 29, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp0nge

Quote from: DeathWeasel on January 05, 2017, 05:23:05 PM
Quote from: Zhentar on January 05, 2017, 05:15:02 PM
The move speed percentages are a lie. How it actually works is it adds a certain number of ticks to movement, and the % is calculated based on the base human 13 ticks per tile move speed. Ice adds 12 ticks per tile, and then thick snow adds another 12 ticks on top of that, which means instead of 13 ticks, it takes you 37 ticks to move through that tile; clearing the snow will bring it down to 25.
Incidentally, things that affect move speed (e.g. bionics, injuries, or hypothermia) only affect the base 13 ticks, not the added path costs.

Oh man, that's good to know. I wish I had known this in my playthrough, I could have saved myself a lot of travel time.

Don't go crazy clearing too much snow, though. It does snow sometimes. For me it snowed once on year 4 and undid all my snow plowing.

I guess I should left the powergen abit more open. I agree on that wind turbine might be the better route to go thinking about it. However the Zzzt dont bother me. If its earlygame you will have the time to do the micromanagement needed to fix it, I just hate moving stuff that I consider permanent structures. But dont you loose materials deconstructing? Thats why i never place the powersource directly onto the battery, however if you gotta fix alot of Zzzzt`s it really wont matter (I barely get any Zzzz when I play, might just be lucky I guess).

Worst ive had was Engies father die as the first escapepod, her sister mid fall, then she went on a bing taking 4 yayo and 3 flake in a single day, juts to get mechanites the day after. She even went on a rampage during a raid, taking down 3 raiders on her own where I could not controll her at all! The constant breakdowns she had after that was to put it lightly .... horrid. But she is well over all that now, mood back up and running at top.

Snowclearing is certanly something i need to evaluate for my midgame plays, but for earlygame (aka everything that involves building the hut and moving startingmaterials to a safe spot) I consider that part irrelevant.

Zhentar

Deconstructing costs 25% of the resources, but you don't need to deconstruct batteries.

A Zzzzt while Engie is in her hut probably isn't too big of a deal. While she's on the far end of the map hauling something, everything will have burnt to the ground before she can get back.

Sp0nge

Quote from: Zhentar on January 05, 2017, 06:14:46 PM
Deconstructing costs 25% of the resources, but you don't need to deconstruct batteries.

A Zzzzt while Engie is in her hut probably isn't too big of a deal. While she's on the far end of the map hauling something, everything will have burnt to the ground before she can get back.

When you can walk across the map to haul, you can also live without power for a while. Ive had a ton of tries on this, and i never had my base burn down due to a elecrtical failure, but i might just been lucky. Ill agree that its safer to build the powersource directly onto the battery, or move the placing of the battery where the walls gonna be in the future. Its easy enough to actually have the battery outside with a roof over it and still power the main small hut you start with

Aiven

Chasing The Dream

Engie had followed her dream of beeing desolate in a place with no other human beings, because noone was tough enough to live out there. It started out pretty ok, the cold was a bitch, but she lived nicely off the rations. She decided early to build a communication console, "Communication is key", she thought. "Surely some trade ships and traders must pass by from time to time". After she had built the console, she happily called the Northwest Omeedthda Pan-global and asked them to send a caravan her way. "Sorry ma'm, we won't travel to you with wares. Nobody lives out there anyway, so how would we get our money back for the expedition?" "But I live out here! If I don't get food, I won't survive!" "Perhaps you should have thought about that before you moved there?" *click* Other people where wimps, that's what she'd always thought! Ah well, surely a trade ship would come by soon. Surely she hadn't stuck her head in a badger hole again? Silly ol' gramps used to warn her about that. She could still hear his voice in her head "It will be your downfall!" He used to say that every time she visited him, what a broken record he'd been, she smiled insecurely to herself. She felt lonely and, she had to reluctantly admit, a tad bit scared.

Then it happened, a capsule fell from the sky and landed right next to her little shack. She hurried over to see what it was. A small man had fallen out of the capsule, he was unconcious. As she turned him over, she was struck by his uglyness. "Woah, such an ugly person I havn't seen since Suzy in 4th grade! Ah well, he needs my help, so I better get him to the shack. Besides it'll actually be nice with some company around here, for some change. " She carried him over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Engie had been college champion in karate and prided herself in beeing a strong woman.

The next day the stranger woke up and presented himself as Igor. She tried to talk to him, but he seemed completely disinterested in her. He kept talking about the fact that he was fucked. "We are fucked." she said. Then he called her a really stupid woman and asked her to get out of his face. He muttered under his breadth that he'd killed bitches like her before, so she might consider to shut the fuck up.

The days went by, they didn't talk much. The food was running out. The mood was not the best, but Engie kept her spirits up meditating. She praised herself for her ability to stay in the moment and appreciate what she had.

Epilogue:

I early decided to roleplay and try to save the lives of people coming in, in pods. The first guy who crashed down from the sky was Engies total opposite, useless in all regards and a psychopathic ugly pyromaniac. I imagined how it would be to live in a 3x3 meter shack on the south pole with such a guy and figured I'd do a small write up. This thing turned into a complete tragedy. First they ate all the raiders, about 7 of them. Then they dug up two guys who'd been buried and ate them too. After a while, the pressure made Engie snap with rage and she attacked and hurt Igor, chasing him out of the shack. He then collapsed and died of hypothermia. Then Engie ate him too. She was all out of food, when a pod dropped down far across the map with a guy. So she tried to collect him, but collapsed of hypothermia on the way back and fell down. The End.

Screenshot from after Igor died, before Engies last expedition.

Zhentar

I had a brilliant idea! Test my planned layout in Dev Mode before going through with the whole unable to fix my crippling mistakes.

I feel good about this one. Here it is:

Shurp

But you don't have a heater in your bedroom.  Where are you going to stand to warm up when you come in shivering from outside?  Your bedroom won't be very warm after you open the doors to go in.  At least add an airlock.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Run 5, Day 23:
   It's now -126'C outside.  Engie can't walk far from the base to collect gear... it looks like the winter is going to involve sitting in the cabin doing nothing for weeks.  Just how cold does this planet get?

Run 5, Day 24:
   I get a distress call from someone fleeing tribesmen.  It's still below -120'C.  I invite the party over.  I thought they would freeze solid instantly, but surprisingly they're dressed warmly and make it almost to my hut.  Just when Engie is about to shoot they decide it's too cold and turn around -- ensuring they freeze to death on the way back.  Hilarious :)  And now I have some nice parkas!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Zhentar

There already is an airlock there (though now that you mention it I could stick a space between the two doors for free), and it should actually warm up when a pawn walks in. That room stayed about -60C while it was -127C out, which should be plenty by the time I can build a hydroponics room.

If I can ever survive that long. I seem to be getting worse.
Run 7, Day 20: Engie takes a grenade thrown by a raider. Bleeds to death.

Run 8, Day 6: A distress call brings in two wool parkas! But the runner collapses from hypothermia, and the parkas are going to run away with her! Engie runs out to stop one of the parkas from running away, gets shotgunned, punched, and kidnapped herself.

snoodog

Run N+4. Medicine/disease system strikes again, this time its my fault for not managing frost bite. Caught an infection immunity 10% severity 12%. Run N+5 is next.

Shurp

Run 5, Day 28:
   Winter has begun.  It's -136'C outside.  I don't have enough steel to build a stove yet, and it's too cold to go outside to haul any more pod slags.  Engie might be happy to sit in her warm hut and research but I'm officially too bored to continue.  The only real challenge to surviving here is not getting so bored that you do something stupid.
   Exploit note: the 'colonist' that died out on the ice was giving Engie a -10 penalty for not being buried, so I dropped a Dumping zone on him and the penalty went away.

Final picture of my base attached (how do you get the inline img thing to work?)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

tyriaelsoban

i came up with a similar layout to the one using a nutrient paste dispenser as the lower wall, but because rimworld was a dick i had to remove it seeing as how it used most of my steel, i couldnt finish everything i needed.
so ive got 40 steel and all the items needed for a trader, but obviously, no traders ...
Im playing with the trader spot mod, because im not dealing with traders sitting in my base eating my food lol

tyriaelsoban

Round 4: Day 54, poor Engie has been alone up here for about 2 weeks since her savior died of hypothermia (after graciously tending engie's gunshot wounds from a raid that happened the day before) ... with sensory mechanites and persistent bezerker rages so i havnt exactly been doing alot, shes either been asleep or raging most of the time because she also lost her brother last season, i have been eating dead bodies since day 30, on the upside she has a thermal tolerance of -148, so no hypothermia for me.
Mana from heaven comes today in the form of a pirate siege, food, materials and other stuff ... assuming i can get out there without engie having another break and passing out in the field, i might actually get somewhere now - i seriously cannot believe how lucky ive been ... she snapped out of several breaks just in time to defend her shack and burgeoning stash of fo... i mean bodies.

Beider

After my first run documented on page eight, I tried a few more tries as well last night. All of them ended with me catching the plague and dying off. I don't think I appreciated enough how lucky it was to have 24 penoxycyline come down in cargo pods during the first season of my last run.

Now I decided the next run I make as soon as that bulk trader comes around in addition to steel and wood I will be buying as much penoxycyline (at least 10) as I can. Those diseases are certain death if you are playing as a lone survivor and taking in someone else early on isn't really an option due to space / food limitations.

I also found that the lack of a good parka that allows you to stay outside as long as you want even in -150C made the challenge really difficult. I tried letting raiders freeze to death which resulted in the ones with good parkas running off before they even got cold, with me chasing after them with a movement speed debuff from the cold. In the end they all escaped and I was stuck with a really bad parka. Even the traders couldn't help, either they didn't have any good parkas or they had good parkas that cost way too much silver.

I think if I could change anything about this challenge though I would change the Hard Worker trait to either Psychopath/Cannibal (might make it too easy) or Jogger/Fast Walker. Considering after the first season 80% of my time was spent hauling, being able to move faster would be a lot more beneficial than Hard Worker.

Another thing I would like to see is that you maybe give 3 penoxycyline with the starting equipment. Really no chance when you get plague early on before you even had a chance to recruit anyone or do orbital trade. At least 3 of them would give you a one season buffer from plague.

Other than that really fun scenario, will be playing it over the weekend to try to beat it.

PS. Is it cheating to assemble enough to make a caravan and move somewhere warmer?

tyriaelsoban

So attempts 4 & 5 met with a sticky end ...
In attempt 4, day 54, i should of just let them all die of hypothermia because engie got into weapons range and then proceeded to spend 60 seconds puking on the spot, just puking, she gets hit once in that time and goes bezerk, tries to close to melee range and is downed, game over.

Attempt 5 day 20, oh i hate scythers ... charge rifles are bad enough, but being told i have a 0.53% chance of being hit and my guy is shooting at a 45% hit chance with no enemy cover, there is a reason i call charge guns "bulls*it rifles" ... while i killed them both, engie inherited an infection in her lung and since infections untended progress faster than the sleeping pawn, i decided i wasnt going to waste my time.

Wley

Hello Rimworld community!

I have played Rimworld for a while but this is my first post here. I have to say that this sea ice challenge really got me hooked ;-)

Anyway, here comes the story of a True Love. The True Love between Engie and Steven which can withstand even -144C outside.

Engie crashes on a planet. In the middle of nowhere. Alone, forlorn and freezing. She quickly sets to construct a shack (out of silver which she cannot eat or burn). She makes a tiny shack, room enough only for a research bench, a sleeping spot and a fire spot (which transforms to a heater the next day). She also builds a wind turbine, orbital trade beacon and a comms console. The first few days she spends inside researching hydroponics and if she gets bored constructing and deconstructing graves in her tiny house.

Then, on the 6th day something unexpected and wonderful happens! Steven, Engie's fiancee finds her! He crossed the whole frozen world just to get to his only true love!

He is wearing a cloth parka and a muffolo tuque and can withstand -68C outside. But otherwise he has no clothes on.

The same day the first raider arrives. He makes it almost to the shack but Engie and Steven succeed in defeating him. He goes down but he is not dead yet! So, Engie quickly strips him of his camelhair parka and his synthread pants. Now, Engie can withstand -108C outside and both lovers can start making plans about their survival.

The heavens seem to smile on such a wonderful love! A few ship chunks crash nearby and 4 traders (one of each sort) arrive during the summer and the first half of the fall season. The bulk goods trader delivers steel, wood and marble. The exotic good trader agrees to take the glitterworld medicine.

Engie expands the hut and builds a normal wooden bed, and a room for hydroponics. More resources like gold and granite and ship chunks rain from the heaven.

Then, in the middle of the fall, Engie and Steven decide to marry! That is +70 mood boost! Now, they can eat raw corpses without even stripping them and remain happy!

Survivors in escape pods fall from the heaven, Engie and Steven have only eyes for each other and do not want any intruders on their happiness. One of the survivors is Engie's sister, Annie, but she has no chance to make it through and dies... Engie grieves the loss of her sister but is still happy to be married to Steven. The shack grows bigger and now they have a kitchen with an electric stove, an excellent marble table and two good wooden chairs. They have a marble floor in their bedroom and a butchering table just outside. Steven stays mostly inside doing research, cleaning, growing rice and cooking and Engie works outside, hauling stuff, building etc.

Then a first shock arrives. Engie gets the plague. Steven does not sleep or eat anymore and tends to his beloved wife. She barely makes it through and develops the immunity when the infection spreads to 96%. But she makes it through and the couple is happy once again.

More raiders arrive, most of them collapse before they can even make it to the hut. But in the middle of the winter, a second shock is coming. Engie gets a shot from a sniper rifle and her torso is a bloody mess with 1 out of 40 hitpoints. Steven kills the raider and carries Engie to the bed again. She survives the bad wound without the infection and without any scars.

The winter approaches the end and a second bulk goods trader arrive. Now Engie and Steven have enough steel to make a smelter to get a small but steady steel supply out of weapons, steel slug chunks etc. And oh wonder! A rare thrumbo wanders into the area and collapses to hypothermia just before the doors of Engie's and Steven's house!

By the end of the spring, Engie and Steven both have sniper rifles, a supply of rice from hydroponics, thrumbo meat in storage and a decent house. Now they can start making proper defences and see what the remainder of the spring and the summer will bring.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]