96% success chance doctor failing five out of six operations

Started by Eric, December 29, 2016, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: O Negative on January 04, 2017, 06:57:36 PM
<surgerySuccessChanceFactor>0.6</surgerySuccessChanceFactor> is the only example I could find in the core game, and it's found within the ExciseCarcinoma recipe.

That means that a doctor that operates on a Carcinoma is 60% as likely to succeed as any other op, as chances would be multiplied by 60%. Looking back at the 65.1% example, this means that particular surgeon would only have a 39.01% success rate if they were to attempt to remove that carcinoma. You'd basically most definitely need Glitterworld Medicine for that, and only the very best and/or bionic surgeons to guarantee success

O Negative

Good info to know, thank you!

I like to play with this kind of stuff in personal mods, and it helps to know exactly what my altered numbers are doing :)

sirgzu

a positive side effect is that you can now train medicine cheap and easily by installing peg legs with herbs on your prisoners as I found out myself (accidentally ofc ^^)

Aiven

Quote from: skullywag on January 04, 2017, 12:13:47 PM
Id even be happy with surgery succes but high chance for infection upon success. That seems more feasible in my eyes.

Probably true. Less chance of killing the patient directly and more chance of an infection, seems good.

I don't know the surgical difficulty of installing a peg leg, but it seems plausible that it's fairly easy, compared to more complicated stuff.

XeoNovaDan

Sticking a piece of wood onto a stump is more straightforward than say removing a leg and putting the peg leg on. Although the only way I could forsee the latter (which happens more often than you may think) is if one loses their foot on that leg.

Excising carcinomas would definitely be more risky of perhaps infection compared to sticking a peg leg onto a stump.

Less relevant but my mind somehow strayed to this: I wonder if Tynan would ever make other HeDiffs such as Strokes and Pneumonia... ouch

grifo

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 04, 2017, 04:06:35 PM
Success chance is effectively the surgeon's base surgery success chance multiplied by the medical potency of the medicine they're using.

Breakdown

For example, a perfectly healthy level 10 doctor has a 93% chance of success before factoring in medicine. Say he/she uses ordinary medicine; that has a medical potency of 0.7. The surgeon's surgery success chance is now a much less attractive 65.1% (although not explicitly displayed), and that's in a clean, but not sterile room.

Now to move onto how room cleanliness affects surgery: A clean room is neutral in terms of surgery success chance (i.e. it has a surgery success chance factor of 1.00). For every 0.2 cleanliness, the factor is changed by 0.01, or 1%. This effectively means that for every 0.2 cleanliness below 0 the room is, surgery success chance is dropped by 1% - and conversely chances increase by 1% for every 0.2 cleanliness above 0 the room is. This means that a fully sterile room improves surgery success chance by a mere 3% proportionate to what it is.

So this is effectively the formula when calculating room cleanliness surgery success chance factor:
S = 1+((C/0.2)/100)

Where S is the surgery success chance factor, and C is room cleanliness (I don't know how to do that fancy, proper formula formatting thing)

So these 3 rooms would affect the doctor's surgery success chance in the following ways...
A room with Wood Flooring (for example) - 0 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will remain at 65.1%
A room with Sterile Tiles - 0.6 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will be 67.053% (65.1 * 1.03)
A room with Dirt or Sand flooring - -1 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will be 61.845% (65.1 * 0.95)

TL;DR

Conclusion: The actual surgery success chance can therefore be calculated using the following formula...
S = (D*M)*(1+((C/0.2)/100))

Where S is overall surgery success chance, D is the doctor's base surgery success chance, M is medical potency of medicine used, and C is room cleanliness

You're welcome

Maybe I got a little carried away?

Hi, XeoNovaDan!

What can you say about roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent? Lets say Ill set this factor to 10..

Doest it mean that every 0.2 cleanliness will now provide 10% multiplier intead of 1%?
What are hell "exponent" means? I looks like I need to study in MIT to tweak out surgery chance in this game ))
Can you please hint me how different value of this "exponent" will alter the final value for room success?

Thanks in advance, good luck!

eadras

I'd really like to see crutches added to the base game.  It shouldn't be necessary to do a near impossible surgery (installing a peg leg) just to release a prisoner/guest who has lost a leg.

Panzer

A crutch occupying the weapon slot and granting as much movement as a peg leg, maybe less ;D neat idea, would like to see that.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: grifo on January 19, 2017, 08:58:01 AM
What can you say about roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent? Lets say Ill set this factor to 10..

I've never noticed the Exponent factors in bills to be absolutely honest, but I'd assume that it's the room surgery success chance factor set the the power of x, with x being the roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent factor.

So if a room had 0.6 cleanliness (103% room success chance) and the exponent was say 2 (I don't know the default, so just going with 2), the surgery success chance factor in regards to room cleanliness would be the room cleanliness bonus squared. In this case, it'd be 1.03*1.03, which'd be 1.0609, so the surgery success chance would be multiplied by 1.0609 instead of 1.03

Zhentar

The factor exponent is only applied when the factor is less than 1, so it makes operating in a dirty room much worse but doesn't make sterile rooms any better.

XeoNovaDan

grifo

Quote from: Zhentar on January 19, 2017, 01:13:53 PM
The factor exponent is only applied when the factor is less than 1, so it makes operating in a dirty room much worse but doesn't make sterile rooms any better.

Thank you very much!

Well, all that system makes little sense anyway and I just decided to avoid any additional parameters in my tweaking. Dirty rooms should result in infections but not in torn off legs.
Destroyed body part should cause pain
Natural added body parts should have option for heddiffs like implants

Looking at the quality and quantity of medical mods I suppose that this part of game is really in ALPHA state  :D
Health system need some serious overhaul and more modding firendly nature.

Good luck!

Murdo

So really the problem is that the formula doesn't involve a variable describing the difficulty of the operation.... something to separate the relative ease of removing a limb and replacing it with a simple prosthetic from the extensive challenge of replacing an internal organ or attaching a bionic part to one's nervous system.

While it makes perfect sense for the latter to require optimal conditions and optimal tools for any reasonable chance of success, a highly-skilled doctor can perform routine surgery using salt, old kitchen utensils and paper scissors in a dirty room on a pile of torn-up cushions without slicing off body parts.

Jorlem

Quote from: skullywag on January 04, 2017, 12:04:32 PM
Bionics isnt even what we are discussing here. Low level surgeries require glitterworld to have any chance of success. I only mentioned it as the name of my test i didnt even get to bionics. Simply removing a jaw resulting in 4 decapitations. The failures are crazy, but thats another issue. For my doc to do it 4 times due to failing the chance check is crazy and to be clear ive since tried it again with the same result, so im either unlucky as hell or this just aint worth the time. No bother for me ill just mod it to suit my tastes.
If I may ask, have you posted the fix mod anywhere?

Ragnarok

To deal with the medicine and operation success issue maybe there could be different levels/difficulties of operation just as there are different levels of medicine. For example, installing a bionic leg with all its technology and getting muscles to work with it would take a lot of skill but also decent medicine. Sealing a capping leg that has been shot off at the knee and sticking a wooden stick on the end shouldn't take that much skill or medicine, however as someone previously mentioned, the risk of infection should be higher. Installing an eyepatch shouldn't be as risky as installing a bionic eye (not sure if it actually is but you get the point). Removing an organ should take less skill and meds than installing an organ. Dunno how all that could be coded cause it'd be based on a whole bunch of factors but it's already based on a bunch of factors so why not?