96% success chance doctor failing five out of six operations

Started by Eric, December 29, 2016, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverPire

Precise medicine calculation in this video :
Quote from: pdxsean on January 13, 2017, 11:34:39 PM
Hey everyone, I've made a short tutorial recently that will help you avoid surgery failure in Alpha 16. If you've been frustrated by seemingly arbitrary surgery death, or just want to learn more about A16 medicine, give it a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q4td8g5dQE

Hope you guys enjoy and let me know what you think!
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

sleepytaco

Quote from: Ragnarok on January 20, 2017, 12:44:55 PM
To deal with the medicine and operation success issue maybe there could be different levels/difficulties of operation just as there are different levels of medicine. For example, installing a bionic leg with all its technology and getting muscles to work with it would take a lot of skill but also decent medicine. Sealing a capping leg that has been shot off at the knee and sticking a wooden stick on the end shouldn't take that much skill or medicine, however as someone previously mentioned, the risk of infection should be higher. Installing an eyepatch shouldn't be as risky as installing a bionic eye (not sure if it actually is but you get the point). Removing an organ should take less skill and meds than installing an organ. Dunno how all that could be coded cause it'd be based on a whole bunch of factors but it's already based on a bunch of factors so why not?

Basically someone would need to add modifiers for each particular action.

Installing an eyepatch should have a modifier of something like 300%, since it does not even involve any actual surgery, which would looks something like 0.93% (at lv10 doctor) x 0.4 Herbal x 3.00 = 116% success.
Installing a peg leg, perhaps something like 200%. (.93x.4x2=74.4%)
New lung, 75% (.93x.4x.75=27.9%)
Bionic Leg, 50% (.93x.4x.50=23.3%)

This way it quickly becomes unrealistic to do anything beyond basic level medical procedures using low tier medicine, while also allowing for a reasonable chance for a good doc to not decapitate someone while applying an eyepatch.

NeverPire

Look at the video above and you will see you can get a more than hundred  percent success chance easily.
Just avoid to lose manipulation, sight or consciousness with your doctor and use glitterworld medicine and it's almost already done.

OFWG

Quote from: NeverPire on January 23, 2017, 06:57:38 AM
Just avoid to lose manipulation, sight or consciousness with your doctor and use glitterworld medicine and it's almost already done.

I'm not sure what good your guide would be - using GW medicine is pretty much all you need. A guide on how to do it with herbal and low-tech beds would be interesting. :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Goo Poni

Can I propose an additional definition for operations. "IsInvasiveOperation:Noninvasive/Minimal/Open". Non invasive surgery, like putting a piece of cloth with a triangle attached over someone's ruined eye or fitting a peg leg requires no medicine or anesthesia and basically no medical expertise. Minimally invasive surgery requires medicine and skill in medicine to be a success and encompasses any small scale surgery, such as attaching bionics to lost limbs (opening up a healed arm stump has to be an easier operation than cutting it off first and going from there). Open surgery like carving someone open to remove organs requires glittermeds and/or considerable expertise to be successful. Cancerous growths (carcinomas) already have a difficulty modifier, that can and should be used to offset difficulty of operation further from these baseline requirements. Additionally, instead of "This operation requires X or better", it should read "This operation should be done with at least X for a good chance of success" and while doctors will not operate on someone that they don't have the requisite medicine for, you should be able to force prioritise it and they will go ahead with the best medicine they have, their chances offset by the difference between the medical potency of their available medicine to what is preferred.

KingKnee

Today I had a catastrophic failure(head cut off) while trying to install a bionic eye, using Glitterworld medicine, surgeon was at 17 medicine, with sterile (clean)floors and a proper hospital bed. That seems wrong.

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 04, 2017, 04:06:35 PM
Success chance is effectively the surgeon's base surgery success chance multiplied by the medical potency of the medicine they're using.

Breakdown

For example, a perfectly healthy level 10 doctor has a 93% chance of success before factoring in medicine. Say he/she uses ordinary medicine; that has a medical potency of 0.7. The surgeon's surgery success chance is now a much less attractive 65.1% (although not explicitly displayed), and that's in a clean, but not sterile room.

Now to move onto how room cleanliness affects surgery: A clean room is neutral in terms of surgery success chance (i.e. it has a surgery success chance factor of 1.00). For every 0.2 cleanliness, the factor is changed by 0.01, or 1%. This effectively means that for every 0.2 cleanliness below 0 the room is, surgery success chance is dropped by 1% - and conversely chances increase by 1% for every 0.2 cleanliness above 0 the room is. This means that a fully sterile room improves surgery success chance by a mere 3% proportionate to what it is.

So this is effectively the formula when calculating room cleanliness surgery success chance factor:
S = 1+((C/0.2)/100)

Where S is the surgery success chance factor, and C is room cleanliness (I don't know how to do that fancy, proper formula formatting thing)

So these 3 rooms would affect the doctor's surgery success chance in the following ways...
A room with Wood Flooring (for example) - 0 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will remain at 65.1%
A room with Sterile Tiles - 0.6 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will be 67.053% (65.1 * 1.03)
A room with Dirt or Sand flooring - -1 cleanliness: Surgery success chance will be 61.845% (65.1 * 0.95)

TL;DR

Conclusion: The actual surgery success chance can therefore be calculated using the following formula...
S = (D*M)*(1+((C/0.2)/100))

Where S is overall surgery success chance, D is the doctor's base surgery success chance, M is medical potency of medicine used, and C is room cleanliness

You're welcome

Maybe I got a little carried away?

you did... but that's fine... thanks for breaking this down for me :)

NeverPire

Quote from: KingKnee on January 23, 2017, 06:27:05 PM
Today I had a catastrophic failure(head cut off) while trying to install a bionic eye, using Glitterworld medicine, surgeon was at 17 medicine, with sterile (clean)floors and a proper hospital bed. That seems wrong.
It depends of the real success chance of your doctor calculated with his consciousness, his manipulation, his view and his skill.
So if your doctor have a BTL-implant and an eye off, it can turn around 35%.

KingKnee

Quote from: NeverPire on January 24, 2017, 05:34:04 AM
Quote from: KingKnee on January 23, 2017, 06:27:05 PM
It depends of the real success chance of your doctor calculated with his consciousness, his manipulation, his view and his skill.
So if your doctor have a BTL-implant and an eye off, it can turn around 35%.

Well she does have a Joywire implant so I guess that could have been it.