New Event Idea: Allies call you to bring them a caravan/millitary aide!

Started by Jstank, December 27, 2016, 11:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstank

Just had great idea!

A nearby faction with positive standing calls you on the coms console and requests a trade caravan with (X type of goods)

If you refuse you loose standing and if you complete it, you gain standing and get great prices on the goods! There will be a time limit of course.

This will give a reason for players to form a trade caravan other than just doing it because...

Also they could request military aide!!! Although I think that this would be harder to implement considering that the colony generation is a bit wonky at the current moment.

Anywho.... I think that this would be a great event that would add meaning and depth to Rim World!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Houkime

(you probably should rename topic a bit so it is more obvious what exactly you're proposing)

I like this idea. It is a logical continuation of NPC-Player possibilities equity idea which was one of the cornerstones of the Egosoft X series and recently started to emerge in Rimworld as well.

The part with "Relations significantly  improve prices" should be a separate suggestion probably. It is good on its own.

I actually imagine that now with these caravans it should be possible to create X-3 AP/Mount-and-Blade -like economy.

When different colonies produce different things and have their own shortages and surpluses, can suffer from different disasters, pirates and such.
And prices change correspondingly.
In such a system a trader caravan can prosper if there is a good leader and return home with tons of goodies.

It is a good thing.
The only downside of this is that you will actually need to have processor power assigned to simulate this stuff.
In both X and MnB that created a major load of performance stress, comparable with grafical load.

But if kept like an event without actual simulation there should be no such problem.

Jstank

The colony generation will need to be addressed before we get into really simulating the economy. I do agree all that stuff should be in there but the whole caravan system is on really shaky ground right now with how finicky it is. I think the first thing that needs to happen is an overhaul of the caravan interface, the details of which are probably best suited for a different thread.

For now I was just thinking if the game would prompt you to form a caravan and go on a mission be it a trading mission or a defense mission to help your allies out is a step in getting the player to get out there and have a reason to form a caravan, because right now, unless you are going for end game there is no real reason to leave your first colony.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Thyme

Caravan requests from other factions are a neat idea, except for the relationship part.
Same goes for military aid, if they're allied.

Please rename the topic, you won't catch as much attention when it has a misleading/confusing headline.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak