Expedition vs Settling

Started by RaduComan, December 23, 2016, 02:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaduComan

I really enjoy the new freedom offered by moving around the map, but it is kind of limiting that you can only enter new hexes as a random encounter or to settle it. I would actually prefer to have a new button that says "Explore" that forms a small map that you use just for scavenging resources or for exploration. Here are some ideas:
- "explore" button on the world map
- camping equipment and crates; anything that can help me set up a camp very fast: right now I doing scavenging expeditions with the current game, but each time I have to spend at least a day to build shelter to store items that degrade outside, building beds, tables and all those things for basic survival. I would rather have all the items in crates (and have just the crates degrade if outside), have tents, mobile kitchen, lightweight tables and chairs.
- some techs/structures in your base that makes it less likely to be attacked (camouflage, hiding your base, base shield, really impressive defenses that discourage riders)
- give up on people. There are a ton of people joining my colony for whatever reason. I would like to have an option to leave them at a friendly settlement.
- cool stuff to find during explorations (aka "not loot"): abandoned bases, advanced power generators, machinery that you don't know what it does and that you have to send an researcher to figure out, ancient history, new races, new technology that you don't find in the research panel
- "stargates" : find portals on the map that can send you to different places/planets
- more complex ancient structures, that you can potentially settle into
- stumble across a flying city, waking up evil aliens in the hole galaxy (Stargate Atlantis kind of things)
- answer calls for help from nearby settlements

I would like to play the game in more stages: survive -> make survival easy -> explore

Headshotkill

Like sending out a group of your best miners with just food/medicine/weapons to a nearby mountain range to dig out some ore and bring it back to base, that would be pretty cool.

IHateRegistering

There are no aliens in Rimworld, so anything that goes beyond either being human, being genetically engineered or simply engineered (like mechanoids) by a human isn't going to make it into the game, excluding mods. There's also probably never going to be stuff like teleporters or some of the more fictional things in science fiction since there's no FTL in the universe of Rimworld: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

But yeah, +1 on stuff like camping equipment for temporary colonies.

Harold3456

I haven't played A16 enough yet to really explore (heh) the possibilities offered by offmap travel, but from the demo video I had taken it as a given that you could set up a quick camp in a tile to hunt for more food. As a tribe, you could maybe set up a crafting spot and make some furs or weapons from the different biome's resources while you're at it.

If A16 doesn't already have the tools to make this kind of nomadic travel feasible, then it's really missing out on a golden opportunity. I mean, walls don't take forever to build, so the "crate" thing isn't of paramount importance, but the exploring random tiles thing is, IMO, a necessity.