[A16] Is there a way to reduce generated world surface in a savegame?

Started by Alerius, December 30, 2016, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alerius

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search in the forums, but maybe I just didn't pick the right search term, I'm blind or there is no thread on this topic:
but is there a way to reduce the generated world surface size in a savegame?
Or can you reduce the size of new generated colony maps in a savegame?

You may ask, why would I do that?
Answer: I went completly nuts by maxing out everything regarding map size. So my game crashes a lot now (I started a second colony - I know it's not recommended - but I like to make a small mining outpost). So it's mainly for performance reasons.
And to make things worse, I use alot of mods :/

So maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Because crawling through a 48mb savegame file not knowing what I'm exactly looking for is a bit hard and time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

CreepyD

I doubt very much that you would just be able to shrink a world already created.
All the things generated in that world have co-ordinates on the planet.  What happens when you force shrink the planet and those co-ordinates suddenly no longer exist?  I'm going to guess it will crash on load.

Working out why it's crashing from some log file might be a better course of action, although I'm not sure how you do that myself.
Any idea how much RAM the game is using compared to what you have?

ison

If you want to change the size of the maps then you can edit your savefile and look for <initialMapSize>, but note that it won't affect already generated maps so you'll have to resettle. You can't change the planet coverage that easily though.

Alerius

thanks for the responses!
regarding RAM and stuff: game uses 3 Gigs out of 16 Gigs (total usage is 8 Gigs of RAM - so there would be 8 Gigs left)
If I'm reading the error.log (see attachments) correctly the nvidia graphic driver (version: 376.22) throws a violation... did somebody else get something like that? driver was published 14.12.2016 - didn't have problems before...

thanks for the "initialMapSize" - sadly my game crashes before I can abandon my second colony - even if i get my guys to abandon it, game crashes anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]