Caravan issues

Started by Polder, December 30, 2016, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polder

I usually send my caravans to the same places, but the game doesn't (consistently) remember which exit point I used the last time. It would be nice if it did.

It would be nice if food currently carried by colonists were accounted for on the caravan screen. Right now colonists carrying a meal are shown as not having any food.

It would be nice if we could set the destination in advance for several reasons: being able to see how long the trip will last, how many rations will be required, and having the process of sending a caravan being a single step, rather than waiting for it to leave the map and then having to tell them where they will actually go. The game could also tell me what temperatures my colonists will encounter. Then there could also be a button that adds the required number of rations to the caravan. Also it would be nice if we could see on the map where we are actually sending a caravan without having to exit the caravan screen.

In other words: the way caravans are created is backwards. First there should be a trip planner menu where we select the destination on the map and the closest exit point is automatically determined (with manual override). Then we should click "Next" and be able to assign colonists, muffalos, items, rations. After clicking "Finish" everything would proceed without further player input until the destination is reached or something bad happens.

There also seems to be a bug that causes the time required for the return trip to be exaggerated. If a caravan is sent to a destination that is reachable in a few hours, upon returning home, the time required for returning will be about double of what it actually is (but apparently only if the return trip begins in late afternoon, or maybe for some other obscure reason, I didn't really try to test this).

It would be nice if the game didn't remove ownership from a shared double bed for the colonist that is sent on a caravan trip.

JuicyPVP

You have a lot of good points that I think are already planned or are at least being considered. Tynan said in the launch video for A16 that these were bare bones features just to get the foundation out there (like the simple enemy bases).

Quote from: Polder on December 30, 2016, 01:49:57 PM
It would be nice if the game didn't remove ownership from a shared double bed for the colonist that is sent on a caravan trip.

The game actually takes the pawns away from the colony. They are no longer colonists, they are caravan-ers in a separate instance than your colony.

Sorenzo

I can answer at least one of your points... Your colonists (and presumably animals) will stop the caravan at night to sleep. That's why trips lasting through the night will take longer. If it's a short trip, the trip can be drastically longer in duration (but your colonists come back well-rested :) ).