[1.2] PowerSwitch

Started by Haplo, April 10, 2014, 03:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decomg

not work here, where the button should appear?

Haplo

Which button do you mean? The buttons for enemy, friend and timers? You need to research them first :)
If you mean the power switch icons in the Architect, they should be under Structures, where you can find the power conduits too.

decomg

now works...

I had put in PowerSwitch 1.3.1/powerswitch/mods and now in powerswitch/mods.

Thanks for this great mod

;)

Haplo

Cala13er

Are those invisible wires from iame?

Haplo

The idea comes from there, yes. Take a look into the credits.
I've build the wires on the idea. The work is 100% mine.
And.. It's done with permission.
So.. Anymore questions?  :)

Evmeister

Hi Haplo, does the full replacement come with add on for better power or do I still need to download that one?

Haplo

The full replacement is a replacement for the normal power switch and the vanilla power circuits. I can't integrate the BetterPower+ variant, because it wouldn't work without BP+.
So, yes. You need the BP+ variant too :)

Evmeister

Ok that's what I figured, thank you sir.

Jdalt40

Hey do you think that you could make like a power switch that turns on when there is less then 500
power coming through the cable it is next to?

Haplo

I have to try it out. It should be possible.
But as I have no time to do anything in the next days, it will take a while until I can do some testing..

Haplo

Gladdig_Kaga

I've wanted for this kind of mod for a long time, I was really happy when I found it. But after testing I felt that the powerswitches are less useful than I hoped for.

For example:
I like building most things, including electricity consumers (lamps, turrets, trading console, etc) next to the walls of my rooms, which makes it hard to use the power switches since everything will just connect to the walls. The wall switch works if I have large enough rooms, but not in smaller rooms (because they will react to people walking outside). I don't see how I could use the floor switch to solve this (except in conjunction with not building next to the walls).

Are you having this problem or am I missing something obvious here?

I've got two ideas on how to solve this, but I have no idea how hard it would be to do any of them.

1. Add a way to choose which powerline an electricity consumer connects to, even if it's much further away.
2. Mod the walls to not conduct power by default (like stonewalls don't). Instead make it possible to draw powerlines through wood and metal walls.

I think the second solution is the better of the two, but ofcourse it would be better to have them both.

Right now I'm building my base out of stone and logs and having loads of fun with the mod.

Haplo

I have tested it a bit, and your secend solution is possible, BUT with one grave problem: Once you've placed the powerlines, you can't remove them anymore..
The problem is the following: Powercondduit are a Building Entity. If you change the entity to Ethereal you can build them and then you can build an wall above them. Now this line has two problems: The type Ethereal is the type of an Gysier. You can't remove it, once it's set.
Another problem is, that electrical objects won't connect to the Ethereal power lines. But it is possible to make Power plugs, which will connect both to the power lines and to the electrical objects. So that is a nice way to do such.
But the big problem is that you can't remove it once it's set. As long as I don't have a solution for that problem, I won't make an official update out of it...

You can find the Ethereal-Test variant here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d6i159k6blqvt65/PowerSwitch_Ethereal_TEST.zip

This is how it functions in game. Red is the ethereal line blue are the plug lines (normal power conductor)
Notice how the right middle lamp doesn't have power? That's because it can't connect to the ethereal power line..

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Unfortunately this isn't really easy to get around. The code for handling overlapping buildings and frames is already somewhat difficult so it's not trivial to make a power line that can go under a wall. In fact, it is on my 'to do' list for... eventually.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog