Food requirement for caravans needs to change badly

Started by Ouroboros, May 24, 2017, 08:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouroboros

3 people, all of them good hunters and growers, needs a TON of food for traveling a short distance on the map. Because APPARENTLY foraging and hunting is no way to feed a very small group of people traveling? 

Through human history when caravans, armies or colonists traveled, they did carry food with them. But a big portion of the food requirements were gathered from hunting and foraging on the road. 

The game assumes your colonists are unable to actively seek out and gather food while traveling. 

Food requirements for caravans needs be cut by 25-75% based on the number of colonists and the skill level of the growing and hunting skills of the colonists traveling.

O Negative

I think it's assumed that they don't stop to hunt or forage, and 100% of their movement is put into actual travel. There should be an option to stop and satisfy their joy need and gather resources, though. Maybe? Idk. Might mess with balance a lot.

A Friend

An option to "Forage/Hunt for the Day" would be nice. The caravan stops in place to gather and cook food for a day and you'll end up with X amount of meals/pemmican
Concerning balance, well just increase the chances of you being ambushed in the process.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Rimrue

Hopefully Nandonalt updates his setup camp mod soon. I was actually hoping something like it might be included in this update. It is so helpful for finding food and giving your travelers some joy time. It costs you basically a day of travel to stop, set up camp, hunt and forage, cook up some food, and then pack up and leave again, so it's really not OP at all. Plus you need to bring your own camping gear, so that cuts down on how much you can carry. So again, balances things out.

giannikampa

totally agree that if a caravan has no more food it will become much slower because they have to stop and look for food around by themselves. Local land conditions could matter as well in "estimated time to get something edible"
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

tyriaelsoban

Quote from: O Negative on May 24, 2017, 09:53:10 PM
I think it's assumed that they don't stop to hunt or forage, and 100% of their movement is put into actual travel. There should be an option to stop and satisfy their joy need and gather resources, though. Maybe? Idk. Might mess with balance a lot.

That would be great, because its annoying moving your settlement and having to deal with everyone going on mental breaks as soon as the map loads, all your stuff starts going rotten on the floor because nobody will build a roof etc...

mumblemumble

I kinda agree, the traveling feature REALLY needs an oregon trail element to it

3 speeds, 3 diet plans, chance to hunt, random chance to gather food, and make events tied to how fast you go, with it much safer going slower.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Circledline

Thank god I found this thread because now I finally get to say my piece of mind. One simple question.

Why in the hell is all of my food in the backpack perishing in sub-zero climates? Why is it that when I'm leaving the arctic my colonists decide that it'd be best to heat the food and put it in a megasloth wool backpack? I know that THEY know that if they just leave the food out that they can simply heat it and eat it later rather than having it all spoil 2 days into the adventure.

Now on a side-note, I think if they ever introduce foraging and scavenging on the road, then it should be dependent on the biome they're in. Clearly they aren't gonna find lots of berries or animals in the arctic, and the same should be relatively true for deserts.

It just sucks that my colonists forget how to defrost a meal when they've been doing it their entire lives.

Also on the subject of balance, foraging for all the food should be time consuming. This will give the player more distance they can travel and can provide them with joy and such in the spare time they now have, but this will also leave more time for them to end up raided and terribly injured in which case you would have to stop to set up a small home. It gives the perk of few serious dangers actually coming to harm them, but the trade is that resources will be limited and have to be used sparingly as you don't want to spend the last medicine miles away from civilization, or to eat up the last of the food and getting ambushed shortly before acquiring more.

Basically it adds a whole new valid playstyle to the game without needing to add /that/ much. I suggest it. I suggest it a lot.

4myGod

Yeah, I personally never found a use for caravans for trading because food itself was selling for 10-15 silver.  So to get a good size caravan going out to trade I'm already losing like 1000 silver or more just in food.

RemingtonRyder

Depends what you're using to carry your goods. A pack muffalo can graze as it's travelling, and it can carry more than a human.

Also, don't know if this has changed from A16, but some things have a better value to weight ratio than others.

So yeah, you could make more than what your round-trip meals cost.