My way of using the world travel feature of A16

Started by Rock5, December 31, 2016, 01:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

This is probably nothing new but I wanted to discus the way I'm using the new world travel feature of A16.

Until end-game I've been playing the same as I would have in A15 (although this is the first time I've played with permanent toxic fallout enabled). I haven't used caravans because I'm not interested in trading or attacking other colonies.

Now, instead of building a ship, I've decided to travel to the friendly ship, to end the game. Note: I've started with the full world rendered so the ship is near opposite to my home base. I've  read you can get there with caravans but I thought that would be boring so I'm traveling there using drop pods.

What I've done so far is make 3 mini bases drop pods apart and for my 5th base I'm making a new full sized base. When Ive finished making it I will ferry everyone to it and abandon the other bases to start my next set of mini bases.

After these first 5 bases I'm nearly half way there already. My mini bases generally consist of 2 or 3 colonists, 2 geothermal generators, 2 growing zones (excess growing zone is for making fuel), freezer, kitchen, small dining room with 4 2x3 bedrooms attached, small workshop for the few benches I need and a minimal kill box with 1 turret and some sandbags.

I concentrated of extra growing on the second last base because I intended to only have constructing going on at the new full base and supply them with food from the second last base.

Wow that was a long winded description of a basic idea. So what are your thoughts? Is this a good way to get to the friendly ship? Is anyone else doing it like this? Am I missing any ideas that would make this more efficient?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Teras Outis

I tend to not have the patience to get to the end game but it does sound like a good idea, it's not an idea that I would have thought of myself, my aproch would be travel using a caravan until I'm getting low on recources and than I would make a mini base to gather some food than keep traveling, but your idea does seam quite interesting

Rock5

Quote from: SomeOneElse9898 on December 31, 2016, 03:41:23 PM
I tend to not have the patience to get to the end game but it does sound like a good idea, it's not an idea that I would have thought of myself, my aproch would be travel using a caravan until I'm getting low on resources and than I would make a mini base to gather some food than keep traveling, but your idea does seam quite interesting
The down side to that is that you spend a lot of time watching the grass grow while they travel and then, what do you do when you run out of food? Collect a few berries then continue on again? That would be boring. If you did a bit more and quickly build a cooker, hunt some game too, and make some meals then you still would have to deal with negative moods as usual wouldn't you? Plus could you be attacked while collecting your resources and not have adequate defenses?

My way extends the construction faze of the game play so I think it increases the enjoyment.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Wanderer_joins

Same + trying to destroy pirates' bases in pod's range.

Sinosauropteryx

Transport pods are easily my favourite aspect of Wanderlust. End game for me means farming boomrats, and dropping them on top of pirate bases. And there's something gloriously liberating about reinforcing your 4-colonist outpost with heavily-armed shock troops from the HQ in the middle of a raid.

I haven't bothered trying to reach the ship yet. Why would I want to leave this paradise?
Whole body          RimWorld addiction

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Sinosauropteryx on December 31, 2016, 06:34:43 PM
there's something gloriously liberating about reinforcing your 4-colonist outpost with heavily-armed shock troops from the HQ in the middle of a raid.

So far my guys arrived when raids were already over :)
4 colonists in an outpost mean no more than 4 raiders, you've the one with molotov and the brawler with a sniper rifle... real threats are diseases and manhunter packs before your outpost is walled in.

Rock5

I have had a 5 man siege  on my 3 colonist outpost. Went out to meet them. Handled them easily. It's all about the approach and picking good cover.

As to reinforcements, only 1 outpost  is near my well equipped main base. So it's a bit problematical to get "heavily armed shock troops" to the more distant bases.

Anyway, all my colonists use the same weapon, Assault Rifles, my favorite. Any attacks before my defenses are up are usually easy because the size of the attacking force is appropriate to the number of colonists I have but they usually have inferior weapons.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Wanderer_joins

Maybe an outpost built between two pirates bases should get bigger raids, there should be something as "density of the threat" on the world map.

Sinosauropteryx

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on January 01, 2017, 05:26:20 AM
4 colonists in an outpost mean no more than 4 raiders...
That hasn't been my experience at all, in my mining excursions I've been attacked by groups of 7 pirates, 15-ought tribals, and 3 scythers at a time. I have seen smaller groups too so I guess it's just Randy Random's rolls. I haven't had any problems drop podding in some heavies in under a minute though. I keep my outposts close enough to the main.
Whole body          RimWorld addiction