[A16][WIP] Advanced Robotics: A New Era - Looking for a programmer~

Started by darkrown, January 01, 2017, 08:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorThomasCao

I haven't checked but you can use it for A16 now, and I'm curious if it's compatible with teaching and leaders and if they can elected...

Archadeas

That is one of the things I want to be checking, I made a new colony and I am working towards setting up a MAI production line, I have a psychopathic marine with 20 shooting and 18 melee, so I am hoping that will work to make a warrior teacher, then seeing if I can make a mass produced robot military, I also have a medic with 16 doctoring to hopefully help train medic drones before I crypto sleep my new colony, or at least the vital units.
When this world comes to an end, I shall Remain. The void beckons, will you heed the call?

Rilamus

I love the look of this mod so far, can't wait for a playable version!

Techgenius

Quote from: Rilamus on January 30, 2017, 02:19:44 PM
I love the look of this mod so far, can't wait for a playable version!

Hahaha! you sir are a dreamer, not sure this will ever leave the box, this makes me so sad  :'(

Rilamus

Hahaha! you sir are a dreamer, not sure this will ever leave the box, this makes me so sad  :'(
[/quote]

True ... more or less just an idea really. but I can dream .... sigh I can dream :'(

Madman666

People reeeeeally wanted ability to raid locations and travel the world - here it is in A16. RW still in alpha, so even if this mod will not work out, I think mechanoid related techs and even vehicles might be added later. There is a hint to vehicles or other chemfuel fed stuff coming up in chemfuel item description. So we wait and hope.

Techgenius

Quote from: Madman666 on January 30, 2017, 03:18:05 PM
People reeeeeally wanted ability to raid locations and travel the world - here it is in A16. RW still in alpha, so even if this mod will not work out, I think mechanoid related techs and even vehicles might be added later. There is a hint to vehicles or other chemfuel fed stuff coming up in chemfuel item description. So we wait and hope.

I'd be more interested in airships, fighter crafts, droids and the like, people been moaning about riding animals for as long I can remember, some even tried to mod animals to add mounts, but it never works, but trade caravans, caravans in itself are a HUUUUUUGE improvement, being able to raid enemies was always a must, fkn pirates, take revenge.

I've always been a huge fan of robotics in games, specially simulation games, played and helped invent quite a few mods on the subject of robotics, however it seens Rimworld has yet to get a proper technology driven, robotics mod, yeah.. there are quite a few mods for it, misc mai and misc robots for the latest v, but.. well. Not to throw more salt in the wound, the "bots", are not really.. "Robots", people kept saying that mipen droids were truly the real experience, that them droids had mechanical parts, they needed to be researched and more importantly, they were not "pawns in clever disguise", I feel depression everytime I see "AI meat" in the storage, frankly. Thats all Mobile AIs are, incognito pawns, I mean, trying to hide isnt wrong, but instead of trying to make it pass as robots is just very basic, why not go the fallout 4 route and make Synthetic-like Robo-Pawns? with their Synthmeat, wired limbs and "synth" components as bodyparts, plastic like skin and researcheable intelligence that can be improved with tech research and memory improvement chips?

I don't mean to be rude or worse - ungrateful, however. That is all it is.

TerrorThomasCao

The easiest thing to change the issue of that is to make the bots explode on death and burn to destroy any corpse left behind that could be butchers

Techgenius

Quote from: TerrorThomasCao on January 30, 2017, 06:31:21 PM
The easiest thing to change the issue of that is to make the bots explode on death and burn to destroy any corpse left behind that could be butchers

Too counterintuitive I'm afraid. The most useful reason to use robots is that they can be repaired with spare parts and components and still function. As a human, you lose a arm, hand, leg you're royally Fkd, yeah.. robots can still be manufactured to replace other robots or increase labour effectiveness, that said they're still just machines with machine parts, fit only for a specific set of functions, advanced robotic types require advanced intelligence, with sentient intelligence being the most puzzling, confusing and yes, feared set of superintelligence, for in it there is only logic without conscience, without barriers, dangerous indeed. In the near feature, we'll become slaves of our iphone overlords and their unbreakable nokia shook troopers.

Madman666

I think those airships, figher craft are an overkill, its not an RTS, you know? Although I do agree on that RW should definitely have saddled horses at least and ideally horses for tribes and light transport vehicles for colonies. Combat vehicles kinda ok too if not too much variety, just to make raids even more interesting and dangerous. Colony-controlled mechs are a dream of many. To be fair I would welcome it too, having something else to shoot at for pirates could be nice.

And I also agree, that while MAI mod is interesting, its way too obvious, that its just a pawn with new sprite, as are haulers and cleaners. Unfortunately making them use mechanoid race class, that won't bleed, don't moods, needs and needs power, reqiores advanced level of coding, otherwise assigning them to mechanoid race will make them spawn along with mechs in ancient evil rooms and mech raids, while also making them unavailable for player to order around...

TerrorThomasCao

Completely agree with you, the last one could be accomplished by putting them in the spawn algorithm with scythers or stuffing them in the ancient cry to sleep pods

Techgenius

Quote from: Madman666 on January 30, 2017, 07:04:27 PM
I think those airships, figher craft are an overkill, its not an RTS, you know? Although I do agree on that RW should definitely have saddled horses at least and ideally horses for tribes and light transport vehicles for colonies. Combat vehicles kinda ok too if not too much variety, just to make raids even more interesting and dangerous. Colony-controlled mechs are a dream of many. To be fair I would welcome it too, having something else to shoot at for pirates could be nice.

And I also agree, that while MAI mod is interesting, its way too obvious, that its just a pawn with new sprite, as are haulers and cleaners. Unfortunately making them use mechanoid race class, that won't bleed, don't moods, needs and needs power, reqiores advanced level of coding, otherwise assigning them to mechanoid race will make them spawn along with mechs in ancient evil rooms and mech raids, while also making them unavailable for player to order around...

I mean... we've got spaceships flying around.. So.. why not buy a single fightercraft that requires e enormous amount of chemfuel to fly around faster than anything, or a transport aircraft with the same requirements, whilst allowing huge amounts of goods and people to be moved around, fighter drones for some measure of autonomous defence mechanisms against aircraft, or Anti-aircraft turrets, I want those huge spacer APCs that can transport whole colonies arround allowing them to live as nomads, travelling bases like in some games, allowing us to explore more and more, attack and raid as necessary. Only settle as necessary. I'd pay for such feature, some games 4x space strategy games allow players to have their civilization live on a nomad fleet, or a huge planet-like ship that transports their entire species around, something small, for planet exploration is just awesome, I can already image several types of events happening just for it

Engine malfunction, gotta settle in order to repair, chemfuel shortage, gotta settle and refine more, improved raids and ambushes, locals are trying to stop the APC, defend it, our APC is downed we need to reconstruct it while under fire, roadblocks, vehicular siege

All this with a HUGE fog on the map, requiring your oolonists to travel around it, exploring and gathering, facing very dangerous hostile animals and angry locals. Now... I crave for something like this  :'( might wanna put a mod request

The mechanisms for Mechanoids are just too basic, IMO, maybe something in future updates could change this. Updates for rimworld, thankfully are slow, but substantial. Our modding community gotta keep up.

Techgenius

To balance further, we won't be able to trade unless we settle, limited to local communities, the chemfuel price can higher and only available in industrial/spacer communities

darkrown

wow, this started quite the discussion, haha. I'm sorry for vanishing like that for such a long time, but I still check the thread often and I've been talking in private with a few people about continuing work on this mod. don't give up on it just yet :)

Madman666

Yeah well as I said - way too many new stuff and mechanics... Its a colony simulator, not a nomad-trader-strategy. Just not that genre. I guess you can play it like nomad-trader colony, but its still more of a crew management sim. This game is incredibly complex already, to push into space-war-base level would be an overkill. Fighter craft, AA turrets, just too RTS-y. Well, why not autoassembling factories like in factorio then? Add automining facilities, which generate money, add remote controlled tank-drones, let us send them to destroy enemy bases - here we are, RTS ready. Nope. If you want RTS - thats easy - there are a lot of them. Just too many mechanics, that make it not what it is now. And I am not even trying to imagine what  amount of code it would be to just introduce vehicles...

Also fighters and flying vehicles is a z-level, which Tynan said he won't be doing at all ever. I don't really want to dissapoint you, but really with this amount of features you are going to request - you'll probably need a whole army of c# coders, because thats just basically a new game on the same engine, with additional dimensions (at least z one for pawns and items in flight, space one can be done in the manner of a sprite moving on a planets surface), incidents, etc... I can't say for sure, since I myself can at best rummage through game's xmls to add a few items and change some values, but I don't think someone can pick that huge request... Even just adding mechs in this thread's idea is damn lot of work.