Viable neolithic, medieval, and industrial technology tree options

Started by Boba Phat, January 02, 2017, 10:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba Phat

Looking at the background material for the game and what we can see in-game, many communities in the Rimworld universe have chosen to live in stable towns or villages with a sustained and stable technological level lower than that of glitterworlds.  Currently in the game, however, even tribal starts eventually develop into a technological community.  I think the option should be available to explore viable technology branches which are not reliant on higher technological development.

For example, instead of moving from bows to guns, it should be possible to instead develop better and more sophisticated bows: simple to composite to crossbow, for example.  Likewise, I'd like to be able to move from skins to wooden lamellar armour to bronze plate to chainmail rather than switching to kevlar and power armour.  It should take the same amount of research, but move the player sideways rather than upwards, creating a true technology tree.  I think, for example, using nothing but herbal medicine should be a viable strategy by researching better forms of traditional medicine.

The benefit is that long-term games in less than ideal environments will no longer require rapid technological advancement, just gradual improvement in the efficiency of low-level technologies sustainable with what's available without trade.  In fact, this is the reason this idea has been occuring to me lately, since I'd like to try playing a game in a harsh environment with no trade and no outside contact at all, more of a survival sim, but as it stands right now is not really feasible.

From a developer perspective, a change like this gives the game a broader appeal and much more replay possibility.

Thirite

We definitely need more low tech level content/research for Tribal, Medieval, and Renaissance eras. Medieval Times does a lot for medieval era- though it goes above and beyond what's necessary. It feels more like a total conversion rather than integrated with vanilla medieval content.

SuperCaffeineDude

Yeah I agree with thirite, something a little simpler than Medieval Times would be great.
I'd like less elaborate looking armors with a crossbow (early sniper), sidenote; why does this space-western not have Revolvers?!
Maybe if "Chemistry" was a prerequisite for firearms? And "Mechanics" for advanced firearms.
I don't know there's a lot of advantages to metal bows/crossbows since ammo isn't a thing though :/ I guess I'd like it to be.
I'm unsure about bronze (an unfeatured resource) and lamellar armour, but I could see rod and chain armor maybe.

My game of tribesmen in a tundra went alright using the lumber fed workstations, but I had to advance to electricity within the year due to food spoilage (less of an issue in winter) and diminishing wood supplies.

For me I would like less combat oriented updates, I would have liked to;
Smoke my meat (rather than do that veg-meat combo I can't really recall the name of).
Have bodies create some heat.
Sleep outside in hide-tents (aka beds)
Either have the parka unlocked or have an alternative, like cloaks maybe (good against heat & cold??)
Craft the Strongbow without the smithy bench.
Craft a conical-hat or Shemagh/Headscarf, later a tailored Thawb/Robe overlayer for hot weather (heatwave in a tundra idiots dying in parkas wtf).

Those are the simple ones I can think of.

Thirite

FashionRimsta adds some really nice tribal wear to the game, among other gear. It's really a must have mod regardless of player preferences.

SuperCaffeineDude

Good call, has a vanilla look to it, I'll have to download it.