Regret: A full story of a rimworld adventure with plenty of pictures

Started by MiniKeeper, January 02, 2017, 03:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

Rimworld adventure 5: Regret
Difficulty: Randy on intense difficulty with permadeath enabled
Scenario: Crashlanded
Landing spot: Random (turned out to be a desert with a 50 day growing season).

Starting colonists:
Marjot: A prosthophile and optimist. Age 41.
Notable skills: 12 melee, 12 medicine, 12 research. Incapable of art and firefighting.

Ian: A jogger who is too smart. Age 22.
Notable skills:  8 social, 6 mining.

Allen: A nudist with a green thumb who also suffers from a psychic sensitivity.
Notable skills: 8 melee, 9 crafting.
Father of Ian.

Day 0:
A picture of the generated planet.

Lots of tribes.

Day 1:
Randy starts the action early with the offer of a 40 year old colonist in exchange for a raid. I don't think I have enough food to accept.

Sorry Daniel. You were probably pretty decent.

Day 2:
We get our first visitors. A pity there aren't any panthers nearby.

On the bright side, we have started stonecutting slate and tunneling into a local mountain. One of my favorite things about alpha 16 is you start with stonecutting researched for crashlanded.

I get the popup to name my colony, I name the faction Alpha 16 and the community Alpha 16.

Day 6:
As Allen is out hunting to try to feed my starving colonists, our first raid arrives.
Really bad placement.

Allen shot him a couple times, had a mental break, then Ian came and finished off our raider.

Day 10:
We've solved the starvation crisis, but now we are suffering from the mental break crisis. On the bright side, a combat supplier has arrived from a local tribe.

We didn't buy anything, but at least we had company.

Day 11:
Right after the tribal traders leave, a refugee begs for safety from some tribals. He is 18, but he's a pyromaniac. No thanks.

Day 12:
Using my huge supply of potatoes as food, I decide to form a caravan and head over to the local raider base.

After I arrived, I realize it might have been a mistake coming here. It has a lot more people than I thought, and also has this insane raider.

I snipe one raider, then the rest of them decide to swarm me.

I manage to escape, but in the process Marjot is left behind with a ruined foot.

The only thing we managed to take was a charge rifle. Marjot will die alone in the base of the raiders.
Luckily, Ian managed to save Allen from bleeding to death.

Day 14:
I get the alert that shows us where the hidden ship is. I think we need to head toward the ship to survive.

An escape pod lands soon after the alert. It's a pyromaniac sherrif, but we'll need him for the journey.

Day 15:
Well, it turns out the sheriff has an alcohol addiction. Looks like this is going to be a father-son only journey.

Day 16:
A lone raider arrives to an empty colony.

Day 19:
After abandoning the colony, our two wanderers arrive at a local tribe. We spent all our silver on pemmican.

Day 22:
As we are crossing to get closer to the secret ship, we decide to raid a pirate settlement. I know the last raid went poorly, but this is more of a smash-and-grab.

The base is well fortified, but there are many animals that are aggressive when harmed nearby. The good old sick-some-elephants-on-them has never failed me before.

But, as my master plan is being executed, the raiders sneak up on me!

Allan gets shot from behind and dies, leaving a large amount of potatoes behind. It's only Ian now.

Day 30:
After many more days of traveling, Ian arrives at his new jungle home. This places only needs to be lived in long enough to grow enough food to keep moving.

Day 31:
Our first raider of the new map arrives. She isn't too threatening.

Later that day after I disposed of the raider, a slave trader arrives from a local tribe.

Day 32:
As Ian is still depressed from his dead father, a wander joins. It's Ian's pacifist pyromaniac uncle!

He'll be able to help grow more food!
Notable skills: 8 growing, 5 construction with an interest.
Has the Kind and Pessimist trait.

Day 33:
We get the option to gain another pacifist colonist in exchange for a raid. Not worth it.

Sorry Anna.

I get the popup to name our new base. I name it Regret after my decision to attack those raider bases.

Day 36:
Our jungle dwelling so far.

Later on day 36, our second raider arrives. She isn't going to do much better than the first.

But, as I send out Ian to eliminate her, he has a mental break and begins wandering around in a daze. Anatoly is incapable of violence.

Luckily though, Kit has a peg leg. I have Anatoly get chased all around the map.

However, Kit gets smart and lights the potato crop ablaze, and Anatoly is a pyromaniac and won't extinguish fire.

Eventually though, after the chase continues and I watch my potato crop burn, Kit gives up and leaves.
Then some rain pours down, I only lost about 1/3 of my potato crop.

Day 38:
A thrumbo arrives! I don't think it's worth killing though.

But then, a tribal raid comes!

I aggro a nearby panther to soften up the raiders.

The panther does its job and we manage to survive.

Sadly, the tribals lit fire to my rice crop and I lost a large portion of it before rain came.

Day 40:
After a mysterious blight destroyed our crops, I decide it's time to use the supply of food we do have and move on.

Day 41:
Back at the colony, an escape pod lands containing a decent colonist. A pity there isn't anyone to rescue him.

Day 47:
As soon as we arrive at our new home, some beavers arrive. Free food.

Our first raider arrives soon after the beavers.

We incapitated and capture Oahnip. He has a 68% recruitment difficulty.

But, as Oahnip is healing in his tiny jail cell, a wanderer joins.

She's pretty awful, but being incapable of dumb labor isn't really that bad since I'm doing the whole nomad thing.
Her only notable skill is her 14 research.
I release Oahnip since I don't really have the food (or patience) to keep him around.

However, Ian gets an infection from the many cuts Oahnip gave him during their fight.

Day 49:
Ian is going to die from his infection. I can't do anything about it since the infection is in his torso.

Day 50:
Rest in peace Ian.

I get the popup to my settlement. I name it Regret (x2) for my deeds.

Day 52:
Tomomi mowed down all the alphabeavers using Ian's charge rifle. She has a shooting skill of 1 now!

With all the meat I got from the beavers, I decide to harvest all the potatoes early and leave before the meat spoils.

Day 53:
Something I have never seen happened. An escape pod landed, and the injured refugee gets up and decides to rest.

Odile just walks right in a decides to take a nap inside my colony. Seems legit.

Since we didn't rescue him, we can't actually give him medical care. He may very well bleed to death in the medical bed.

Luckily though, after some chinchilla meat lands in some drop pods, its time to pack up and leave with our 20 days of food. We manage to take 31 components with us.

The colonists abandon Regret (x2) and continue on their journey to the hidden ship.

Day 72:
We arrive at our new home. I think I'll name it Regret (x3).

But soon after we arrive, a band of 3 raiders decides to attack us.

But then, a decent wanderer joins us, who enters right behind the raiders.

Notable skills: 11 medicine, 6 construction, 8 growing, 9 research. He's also a nudist.

But tragically, because of bad positioning and Tomomi missing a charge rifle shot, he dies within 30 seconds of joining us. Rest in peace

Somehow, we manage to repel the raid by using Anatoly to kite and having Tomomi fire at them with the charge rifle. She's got a shooting skill of 2 now!

But, at least Signild's grave is hilarious.

It reads:
"The sarcophagus bears an artwork of Tomomi Riely ending Signild Prowse's life seemingly without remorse. Tomomi is baring her teeth. The whole image is depicted by the careful arrangement of hundreds of tiny goldfishs, and the work is shaded in hues of grey and blue. This image relates to Signild's killing by Tomomi on 14 of spring, 5501."

Day 75:
I get the popup to name my community, I name it Regret (x3).

Day 78:
We get the chased refugee event. Randy really wants to give me more colonists, but I won't take my chances with a raid.

Sorry Giggles.

But, Randy knowns I don't want to pay a price for colonists. So he sends me an escape pod. It contains Tomomi's mother.

She'd be a pretty bad colonist, but I need to rescue her so Tomomi doesn't get the mood penalty from her death.

Day 79:
A manhunting duo of boomalopes have arrived. I hope they don't burn down out base when Tomomi's shoots them up.

As I send out Tomomi to kill the boomalopes, Velma recovers and decides to join the colony. I was trying to avoid this, but to no avail. Screw you Randy.

Her only notable skill is 7 shooting.
On the bright side, Tomomi kills the boomalopes far away from the base, then rain comes.

Then, a boring self-tamed monkey that was kicking around our base for a while nuzzles Anatoly and is named Smokey.

Day 81:
A combat supplier has arrived. I think I might aggro a local elephant horde and collect the spoils of the battle once it ends.

But, as it turns out, the chance for elephants to aggro after being attacked has been lowered a lot. My plan is foiled again.

But, as I lose hope, Tomomi scores a lucky shot and the herd is enraged.

The trade caravan is easily defeated, but the elephant horde isn't really harmed at all, they only lost 1 elephant. Velma was incapitated during the fight since she went berserk. Everyone is very stressed from the rising temperature due to a heat wave.

Day 82:
Fortunately, though, eventually the elephants calm down and everything is fine. The only casualty is the dinner table from a trader's rouge Molotov.

Day 83:
Tragically, while Velma was recovering from her wounds, I forgot about the heatstroke everyone was suffering from and forgot to move her to the cooler room. She died. Oops.
(She wasn't really that good anyways).

Day 86:
After a huge potato harvest, the two colonists grab as many potatoes as they can carry and we set off toward the ship. We had to leave Smoky and the self-tamed capybara behind.

Goodbye Regret (x3).

MiniKeeper

Day 104:
We arrive at our new home. The colony has traveled far ever since we landed in the desert.

Day 105:
Not a day after the colonists arrived, a wave of rats turns hostile.

Tomomi is a decent shot with her charge rifle though, and kills the rats with a little kiting help from Anatoly.

But right after the rats were eliminated, a duo of sappers arrives.

My colonist duo easily took out the sappers.

Day 107:
I get the popup to name my colony. I name it Regret (x4). Are you starting to see a pattern here?

But, later that day an escape pod arrives. The spacer who landed is okay, but we could use extra colonists.

Notable skills: 9 social, 6 growing (has green thumb).
She also has the trait lazy. At least she can haul.

Day 111:
We finally recruit Elliot. Things are looking good, assuming we can survive until the potato harvest.

Day 113:
Uh oh. A heatwave has arrived. This is never good.

Day: 114
I get the chased refugee event. I do want more colonists, but I don't want to push my luck by taking on unnecessary raids. I refuse the refugee.

Day 115:
All my colonists got downed from heatstroke right as Anatoly was refueling the generator. This could be the end.

Day 116:
Elliot has died from heatstroke. It's officially a curse now: the new recruit always dies from heatstroke.

Then, shortly after, Tomomi dies. Things are looking grim.

But. Somehow, the heatwave begins to pass and Anatoly gets up.

Well, we lost 2 colonists, but things can still continue.

After burying his two deceased friends, Anatoly grabs a bunch of potatoes and once again sets off. He only brings the charge rifle and the 15 components.

Day 126:
After arriving at our new home, we are immediately greeted by a tribal raider.

I have Anatoly run around and have the raid chase him for a minute or so, but then Randy decides to taunt me.
He gives me a chased refugee event. The refugee is 61 years old, but since he is a paramilitary agent, he can (hopefully) fight.
I begrudgingly accept. Things are about to get nasty.

Huh. Turns out Steven is great. He only has 2 scars for permanent health damage, no bad back or cataracts.

Notable skills: 12 shooting, 12 melee, 8 social, 8 crafting, 6 medicine, 6 cooking. He's probably the best pawn I've got so far based on pure stats.

Then the other raid arrives. 3 raiders.

Steven mows down one raider, and runs away from a club wielding one. But luckily, the raider chasing Anatoly is a tribal and the one chasing Steven is a pirate. I manage to get them close enough and sure enough, they begin to brawl.

Not only do we manage to survive, but we down all three of the pirates.

Unfortunately, all the pirates bled to death before I can capture them.

Day 128:
After rescuing a guest from an escape pod, Petra decides not to join us. Good job Petra, you didn't completely screw up my plains unlike some other guests I rescued cough Velma cough.
You would have made a decent colonist if you weren't incapable of skilled labor.

Day 129:
I get the popup to name my colony I name it Regret (x5).

Day 130:
A bulk goods trader arrives from a local tribe. A pity I have nothing to trade.

Day 131:
Just one day after, a slave trader arrives from the same tribe. Randy is just mocking me now.

Later after the trader arrives a blight strikes my crops. We had just started planting, so it's only a minor annoyance.

Day 133:
Oh no. A heat wave. I'm getting flashbacks.
Good thing I have steel on hand to build some coolers.

Day 134:
Right as Anatoly is building the generator, he passes out from heatstroke. Screw you Randy.

Anatoly dies from heatstroke later that day, followed by Steven.

But, this isn't the end. I refuse to let Randy win by spamming heat waves. I'm going to wait until I get a wander and then I'm going to continue my epic journey to the ship.

The ruins of my colony.

Day 139:
Randy taunts me again by sending down an escape pod. Sigh.

Day 148:
The legendary charge rifle I had with me since the start is finally near it's end. Goodbye charge rifle; you saved me so many times.

Day 151:
A manhunter rhino enters our abandoned base.

Day 157:
I'm going to mark this as the end. The game is getting a little buggy (it is an unstable build that has been updated multiple times after all) and it has decided to doesn't want to send any raids with raiders at me. You win this time, Randy.

The colony at the end of the game.

Bonus picture: the weird debug log that didn't want to generate raids.

Endgame statistics:
Time played: About 10h and 50m
Major threats: 13
Enemy raids: 10
Number of colonies: 5
Colonists that died because Randy hates me fair and balanced heat waves: 5
Colonists killed: 9

This story took up 77 pages on Microsoft word (mostly because of pictures) and has about 2700 words. I hope you enjoyed reading.
I went through all this crazy stuff only to get killed by a couple of heat waves. Anatoly survived so much crazy stuff despite being a pacifist, but, he died to a heatwave.
On the bright side, he traveled quite far from our original location.

It would have taken about 3 seasons and 11 days to arrive at the ship. I was so close, yet so far.

Nomsayinbrah

WOW!!

This... This was amazing.. I'm really new to the game, at it amazes me you could survive so long. You had me nailbiting at times with those heatwaves.
amazingly written, love reading stuff like this during times I can't play the game :D