[Mod Request] Disable predators hunting humanlikes

Started by Chakchak, January 03, 2017, 06:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakchak

It's the one thing honestly stopping me playing the game anymore, and those I've introduced to the game don't want to continue knowing they have to deal with predators.

I've tried looking into it myself but i'm no programmer. I see there's a boolean called canbepredatorprey and have tried having a look with a decompiler, but it's not as easy xml editing.

Can anyone out there make me a simple mod that just stops predators hunting humans so I can enjoy the game again?

Lerin

I know you pain. I have been killed many times on ice map playing solo.

Thirite

You know you can make your colonists hide indoors, right?

DariusWolfe

I'd just be satisfied with a mod that prevents whole herds of deer from becoming insanely aggressive, mobbing the hunter that shot ONE of them, then going on to attempt to wipe out every other human on the map.

chacotaco84

I like the idea of predators, but I find it to be the danger to my colonists/animals to be the most micro-intensive.

I wish for two things:
-A better warning for when a colonist/animal is getting hunted.  To keep it balanced, you could make it so certain variables affect whether this warning will pop up or not.  So, for instance, a dog is probably not going to get sneaked up on very easily.  A human with bionic eyes and ears (EPOE), would probably sense when a grizzly bear is charging after them.  However, a 72 year old women who has no hearing might not have the ability to see the timber wolf stalking her.

-Colonists will attack the creatures PRIOR to getting actively bitten.  This is a big part of the micro that I hate.  If I have a super shooter with a charge rifle, if I just draft him in time while I know the animal is hunting him and he's got 10 squares of distance to shoot the animal then he's going to drop it like a sack of bricks for zero danger.  However, for some reason he only notices that a grizzly is trying to eat him when the Grizzly is ACTIVELY on top of him biting his arm off, so he just tries to whack it with the butt of his charge rifle.

I like to keep predators (I don't like just getting rid of interesting challenges in the game) but I find predators to be the most micro-intensive and least enjoyable of the challenges.  It really needs an overhaul.

Britnoth

Quote from: chacotaco84 on January 03, 2017, 06:09:55 PM
-A better warning for when a colonist/animal is getting hunted.

Have you tried searching for a mod that does that? Cough.

seerdecker

Almost uninstalled the game today after playing for more than 500 hours. This gotta be the cheapest, dumbest way to die in Rimworld. It forces the player to be constantly on the look-out for predators all the time. What the hell were the devs thinking?

DariusWolfe

Quote from: seerdecker on January 05, 2017, 10:32:50 PMIt forces the player to be constantly on the look-out for predators all the time. What the hell were the devs thinking?

I hope to God I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this. I mean, I get it; Colonists should be able to keep an eye out for dangerous animals on their own, but it's still ironic as hell to me.

seerdecker

I hope to God I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this. I mean, I get it; Colonists should be able to keep an eye out for dangerous animals on their own, but it's still ironic as hell to me.

:)

Given a choice, a pawn will generally prefer to take the one most likely to cause its untimely demise. Oh, look, there's a fire! Let's jump straight into it! Social drugs are harmful if used regularly? Then let's pertake into them by default! And the classic: I'm going on a walk near the nearest source of danger I can find. Unless I got cabin fever, because then there is a risk/reward dilemma.

There must have been a genetic disorder (lots of radiation while star travelling) that caused them to invert their ability to survive their environment.

Anyway, Rimworld's a great game. It'd be great though if the player didn't have to play Big Nanny for the more obvious stuff.