Character Editing

Started by zipack, January 03, 2017, 07:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zipack

Hi,
I think, that here could be big option to enhance RPG features of the game. I would especially welcome if the starting character(s) could be edited in the style of some games like Endless Space where you can create your own civilization with combination of PRO and CON traits.
For example:
You get for starting character 5 points for editing and you can chose some traits. OK no problem. You chose (prices in brackets):
Too smart (2)&Careful Shooter (2)
Now 1 point remains and you don't want to waste it and want to take another trait. But it costs 2 points... what now...
OK, just chose some negative trait which gives you some "repay" in points:
Pyromaniac (-3)
And now you have 4 points to chose some additional traits which you want. ;)

schizmo

I like this for games like Neo Scavenger but hate it for Rimworld. Pawns are supposed to be their own people and you're meant to deal with the hand you're dealt, not hand craft the perfect team from the ground up.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: schizmo on January 03, 2017, 08:00:55 AM
I like this for games like Neo Scavenger but hate it for Rimworld. Pawns are supposed to be their own people and you're meant to deal with the hand you're dealt, not hand craft the perfect team from the ground up.

And yet we have mods like EdB's Prepare Carefully being highly requested for vanilla implementation, the scenario system, and people rolling for decent starter colonists multiple times as long as the randomize button has existed.

Customization in a singleplayer game hurts no one and only makes the base game all that much more better.

zipack

But this idea is not meant as creating of superheroes team. Just only as a way to personalize game much deeper. I play scenarios with only one starting character and I would really appreciate way to personalize it. If someone rather plays with more starting people, there could be something like "leader" check box and only leader could be customizable. Is this idea with this limitation more acceptable for you?

P.S. - In this form with "leader" check box I think it could be usable also for multiplayer.

zipack

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on January 03, 2017, 08:22:40 AM

And yet we have mods like EdB's Prepare Carefully being highly requested for vanilla implementation, the scenario system, and people rolling for decent starter colonists multiple times as long as the randomize button has existed.

Customization in a singleplayer game hurts no one and only makes the base game all that much more better.

schizmo

Quote from: zipack on January 04, 2017, 03:54:21 AM
But this idea is not meant as creating of superheroes team. Just only as a way to personalize game much deeper. I play scenarios with only one starting character and I would really appreciate way to personalize it. If someone rather plays with more starting people, there could be something like "leader" check box and only leader could be customizable. Is this idea with this limitation more acceptable for you?

P.S. - In this form with "leader" check box I think it could be usable also for multiplayer.

I missed the part where it only applied to starting characters. That isn't so bad as long as it is limited. Golden potatoes is right, we roll until we get a decent starter, so this isnt a stretch.