Rebellion or civil unrest mod idea

Started by Kaizerfu, December 01, 2017, 10:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaizerfu

I have an idea for a mod.

This has to do with mental breaks at the most extreme.
So at the beginning of the playthrough you'll have two factions within the colonies that do not agree with each other.

Basically you need to divide them and control separate sections of the colonies. But if you put them together, then long enough seemingly out of no-where. The two factions of the colonists will go to war within the colony out of the players control. It will end when either one faction is entirely dead or both factions are on the ground wounded.

It also gives you a good reason to keep dividing the colonies therefore expanding into a noticeable faction on the map.

Just an idea I had while playing rimworld with my dad and watching the "jail breaker" mental break play out. Or maybe put this on the final version of rimworld.

Thanks, KaiXer

CrewCutWilly

I definitely think that's a great idea for a mod could add a lot of spice to the game. I don't really think it would be that good in Vanilla but it would make for some great stories.

Slimy_Slider

The problem with this idea is the lack of control. Assigning factions to pawns under your control randomly could be incredibly irritating to deal with, especially if you need to keep them apart. The idea of starting with factions is also an issue for a couple of reasons; a) It's not realistic for a small group of people (3-5 if you're using the basic scenarios) to form completely hostile/arbitrary groups from the get go and b) Random chance could result in some really unbalanced factions, I'm just picturing the effects of having two or three incapable of violence or wimp pawns against a group of bloodthirsty psychopaths.

Also, the multiple colony system is still pretty unfeasible for people with lower-end devices, or those who find it a struggle to manage too many things at once. This also ties into the third point, the huge amount of micro that would be required to deal with something like this. To keep pawns seperate, you would have to be constantly managing allowed areas and work priorities for each seperate faction of pawns, making the game a huge hassle.

If you want to implement this as a mod, go ahead and ask a mod maker, I remember that the Rim-Disorders mod had a similar system in which if several pawns are unhappy they could break away and form a splinter faction. Not sure if it has been updated for B18, but it might be worth a look. Just consider the effects of these changes in regards to the lack of control outside of an unnecessary amount of micro.