We make bad suggestions and come up with horrible ideas.

Started by Eric, January 03, 2017, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv

O Negative

Quote from: dv on January 05, 2017, 04:40:57 PM
Anyway, what this game really needs is an FPS mode.

I was thinking third-person, over-the-shoulder. That way, you can simulate the cover system in the game ;)

OFWG

Quote from: O Negative on January 05, 2017, 12:41:51 AM
Stop developing the game, and just let modders come up with all of the future content.

Hey, trigger warning here - I pre-purchased Spacebase DF-9 and this is exactly what they did. :(
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Eric

Growable banana crops, and every time a banana is eaten it yields a single Banana Peel item, which can then be set as a trap. Enemies who slip on the trap are permanently downed out of humiliation and all colonists who saw it happen get a mood boost

O Negative

Quote from: Eric on January 05, 2017, 07:04:00 PM
Growable banana crops, and every time a banana is eaten it yields a single Banana Peel item, which can then be set as a trap. Enemies who slip on the trap are permanently downed out of humiliation and all colonists who saw it happen get a mood boost

Somebody make this happen.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: O Negative on January 05, 2017, 07:16:35 PM

Somebody make this happen.

Banana peels are randomly dropped after eating a banana rather than set. Colonists can also slip on them, giving the slipper a negative mood buff while everyone who saw it gets a positive mood buff.

Extra idea: elderly colonists will randomly down themselves and need rescuing.

O Negative

Quote from: MikeLemmer on January 05, 2017, 08:30:30 PM
Quote from: O Negative on January 05, 2017, 07:16:35 PM
-snip-
-snip-

Banana peels are randomly dropped after eating a banana rather than set. Colonists can also slip on them, giving the slipper a negative mood buff while everyone who saw it gets a positive mood buff.

Extra idea: elderly colonists will randomly down themselves and need rescuing.

You don't get a notification (letter) unless the elderly person is wearing a life alert.

Thyme

I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

tocsin1990

Quote from: Thirite on January 05, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on January 05, 2017, 01:36:41 AM
Another bad idea: have a random chance of the entire planet just blowing up each year.
Uh oh! Asteroid about to impact your colony! -20 debuff "Existential fear" to all colonists until the asteroid hits. Better make those last hours count.

Just saying, but this, as a smaller scale event (like impacting a range of 6-9 world tiles), that forces a colony to pack up its stuff into a caravan and move in a hurry, actually sounds like a pretty cool idea.

or, maybe, make it so that the asteroid landing, if you don't move, crushes everything that isn't under an overhead mountain, and buries the entire Z level in rock.  Then, if any colonists survive, they need to dig themselves out before they starve.

RemingtonRyder

Diseases mutate or develop complications like in Plague Inc. Suddenly it's more fun to play as the disease and try to wipe out a rimworld. :P

Eric

Quote from: MarvinKosh on January 06, 2017, 04:12:45 AM
Diseases mutate or develop complications like in Plague Inc. Suddenly it's more fun to play as the disease and try to wipe out a rimworld. :P
And then colonists can mutate in response to the diseases and turn into entirely different creatures altogether.

NeverPire

Some other bad ideas :
- implement shoes ;
if your colonists wear bad ones, they can have strains.
if they don't wear shoes,  after travelling a certain distance, they will have foot in blood.
- implement termites (I let you imagine consequences)
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

MikeLemmer

JesterHell

Quote from: schizmo on January 05, 2017, 09:43:43 AM
Quote from: Eric on January 05, 2017, 12:43:19 AM
Another one: Your colonists actually need to use the bathroom every now and then

I actually think this is a good idea honestly

Same here, then again I like simulationism over gamism so I'm biased.

mantelar

it may be posted elsewhere, but I would like tynan to post his vision statement for the game and then ask for suggestions based on it.  all of us want our own pet project details, but I doubt they strike to the heart of his vision for the game.  this is important because there can only be a few core ideas that can be central to development at any given point in time.  I suspect he's looking for suggestion that focus on story - not new gear, or tech trees, or minutia.  the word story comes up again and again.  what changes will generate the best story?  the tech tree only matters to us few who've played roguelikes for years.  and frankly that's a very narrow and for most, unenjoyable focus.  the game has made its money by tasting like DF but not requiring knowledge of what could be called arcana to enjoy it.  that spirit cannot be maintained by endless tech tree add-ons.  its all about the colonists and the challenges they face.  its also about reducing the devs workload.  too much to work on and too little time.  they need focus.  and that focus isn't about tech, again its about story.  with that in mind, think about the recent mod.  they asked a basic question about their game - how do our player's win?  and they've offered an alternative - explore...travel.  I like it.  I think we all do.  how do you build on that?  first, i'd say, making travelling worth it.  I've posted elsewhere - crowdsource the colonies.  use user data dumps from permadeath games on higher difficulties to populate random colonies.  raiding such colonies will be worthwhile because those colonies will be functional for the biome which they exist...plus, an appropriate percentage of failed and thriving colonies will exist by biome...far more ghost towns in the ice sheets than in temperate forest.  alter travelling to include hunting and foraging opportunities in fertile biomes...less food to pack when traveling across berry and deer farms near the equator of a given world.  expand colonist interactions with foreigners...not just raids and sappers, but targeted assassins, prison breaks, slave raids, traders with bad intentions, etc.  why buy faction good will when you could instead throw a party and have goodwill increase based on its quality.  the possibilities are endless but none of the good ones are about equipment or tech.  there only needs to be enough of that to facilitate what's really important.  I still have colonists visiting two five year old grave sites...with this in mind.  TYNAN - COLONISTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN!  For a long term, multi-colony, story dynamic to work this is a MUST...along with many other things...but think of the gains this feature would bring...players would defend children tenaciously.  they would not slaughter them like countless muffalo calfs.  it would get personal fast - which I believe is the point.  just trying to think of VERY high pay-off changes for the game.  I've a million tech tree ideas that combined matter less than any one of the ones mentioned above.  thank you for a great game...and now I just bothered to read the rest of the comments here and realize its all a joke...and a good one.  i'm your sap, guys.  well played...