[A16][WIP] RimVerse - Return to the stars

Started by Gedos, January 03, 2017, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_-M-_

This is the #1 thing I've always wanted in rimworld, the ability to fly across the planet, or to new ones...
Firefly anyone?

harpadarpa

This looks hype as fuck. Is one of the end goals to have any ship to ship combat? Like even pirates airlocking with your ship? And what about people looking for passage? Like say you're at world X, and you find a person who wants to go to world Y? Both of those sound like things I would LOVE to see in this mod.
Shitposting to the max.

minakurafto

for ship reactor, it's a nulclear reactor right? maybe chemfuel is needed as spplementary or backup.
add something like ship capacity and make reactor weight a lot so there is limit for reactor and ship size and cargo. with limited reactor then chemfuel will be used as supplement because reactor cant cover it all. beside how many chemfuel need to fuel the ship anyway it wont make it with chemfuel.

for storage there must be a structure like drop pod which can loaded with a lot of items, or else it will be a mess, or something like in hardcore_sk a container that can hold some items

Houkime

Actually there is no problem with reactor producing power out of "nothing".
(BTW Tynan's reactors are seemingly supposed to rather consume Uranium in a long play)
If you need to add fuel consumption, you can do it in realistical way by making _engines_ require fuel and electricity. Maybe even not conventional fuel but xenon or sth like that.
You can also make reactor run on Uranium but drain extremely slow (decade). It will be  an important thing to consider for long spacetravel.

About space travel time: You can try doing two scales of travel. First is local system.
With future tech it is realistical to travel between planets in about season per voyage or even less. Maybe there will be a small starting glitterworld nearby.

Second is interstellar space. To start interstellar travel you will need to abandon anything behind you and put your pawns into cryptosleep caskets.
This will bring you to another star system withtin tens of years.
En route time will be skipped until some danger appears that requires going out of cryptosleep. Or you can set an alarm clock if you want to do some scheduled maintenance like refuelling reactor with Uranium.

You can generate a small galaxy (like hundred of stars not too far from each other) and your pawns will have different origins and wishes where to go.
You can place advanced glitterworlds near center.

So your lategame will consist of economical struggle to get fuel for engines, trading, fighting, landing for field repairs and trying to bring your colonists where they want to be (yeah space taxi). Game ends when all of your pawns are either killed, abandoned, sold or are in place they wanted to go to. These counts (killed, abandoned, sold and happy-ended) are your engame score.

You can implement some orbital mechanics stuff relatively easy without really calculating and drawing orbits.
First of all make your engines not require fuel otherwise than for "maneuvers".
"Maneuvers" can be calculated in a simplified form of your choice.
Even dumb system will be great.

Example of dumb system (a bit Astroneer-like):
1. You need fixed X fuel for suborbital jumps,
2. Y>>X fuel for orbit
3. Z<<Y fuel to deorbit
4. G~<Y fuel to go to interplanetary trajectory
5. D~G fuel to set on orbit on other planet coming from interplanetary space.
6. S>>>anything for interstellar travel.
7. Same S to set yourself on normal interplanetary trajectory to any planet when going out of intersellar voyage.

It is kind of realistic even if KSP-guys will say that flying this way is inefficient as hell.

Ai core will do maneuvers automatically and provide a cost breakdown before launching sequence. So player won't need to think about it too much.
That's it.

If you fail to deliver fuel to engines when it is needed you're stranded in space. Maybe AI core will request to secure fuel first but still... Pirates and such. Emergency scenarios will be two. Again no real calculations.

Stranded interplanetary: to break this you will need one Interplanetary charge of fuel and one Interplanetary->Orbit charge of fuel. Maybe pirates will bring you or some help arrives.
Stranded interstellar: Pretty much RIP. It will require interstellar charge of fuel + interstellar->interplanetary+interplanetary->orbit. Or help. Expensive help.

Some other ideas for future:
1. EVAs and airlocks for decompression scenario (ready-made in MarsX mod).
2. Roids to mine. You can do it Space Engineers-style when you install a ship drill on the front end, or even downwards and thats it. You may even not draw any roids, just text pops out and materials pop out near drill. Fuel-wise roids are like planets but their "orbit" is same as landing.
Or you can make roid a minimap so you use ground-penetrating scanner, EVAs and usual drills. If so moons will be the same, just larger maps and ability to travel around.

Or you can draw "asteroid" texture for background (like "space") and just sit in your ship and operate a drill that spits out resources till roid depletes.
To give moons an advantage roids can be one-random-resource.

3. Space stations. If interplanetary (star orbiting) - same as simple text roids. Trade screen. If on orbit - you can access them while on orbit. Fuel charge may be omitted for simplicity.

PerunPerunowy

Mayby traveling to other rimworlds would be nice

Grax

Travelling to glitterworlds ... crashing on another rimworld.

Apex

I've been thinking about this. If you can make the space playfield the same size as the original playfield you may be able to have mineable asteroids and so forth "in space" Also hostile and friendly ships. Ok, here's another thought. Play game/build ship/launch ship/ ship becomes small/mobile on regular sized playfield called space with asteroids, planets and other threats. when you click on space ship it takes you to the third / ambush screen which is your ships interior.

Houkime

Quote from: Apex on January 27, 2017, 12:51:52 PM
I've been thinking about this. If you can make the space playfield the same size as the original playfield you may be able to have mineable asteroids and so forth "in space"

If you mean a map with mountains-"asteroids" and rocks-"space dust", and with terrain as "space" it is a neat thing i think. A bit Particle Fleet-like vibe and functional as well.

I think it can be realistical to have such a setup, but not in regular space (it would be too strange and arcady) but in two special cases:

a) When you "land" at an asteroid (so you actually travel to it). If an asteroid is represented as a big mountain in black "space" you can dig into it and even live there. Vanilla animations are so abstract that weightlessness really does not change anything graphically so it should be ok.
b) When you visit rings of gas giants. In this case you will have many "dust" rocks and trash and small "mountains" representing small roids of the ring.

It can be beautifully done I believe.

Seiryuu

AMAZING IDEA!
AND IT CAN EXPAND EVEN MORE!
Please don't abandon this project, it will make the game twice as good.

Rilamus

I adore the idea of space travel / survival in space. if you need any assistance with artwork I'd be more than happy to help.

Thyme

So you're burning chemfuel with what oxygen? Besides from nuclear reactors, have you heard of solar panels (*ISS and basically 99% of all satelites *cough)?

You might use Chemfuel to launch drop pods, but not for life support.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

FosterKicks

Man,i cant wait to try it out !

Im hyped.Mate,please dont abandon this project.

kobar

Grax

Gedos

Heyo guys, quick update. Am currently really busy in with college stuffs and haven't had a lot of time to work on the mod in the last few weeks. Will try to keep you guys updated on the progress.

edit: Houkime has pretty much implemented all the initial features I wished to have for this mod, so I see no point in continuing the progress of RimVerse. I hope to collaborate with Houkime to get some of my ideas that aren't on paper yet worked into his mod. Sorry for letting anyone down, but be sure to check out Houkime's mod!