Visible Overhead Mountains

Started by Quazimojojojo, January 04, 2017, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

schizmo: If you have "open or simply thin roofed" areas inside of a mountain, you've got open areas. There are no areas inside of a mountain that are "simply thin roofed"; You have open areas, areas adjacent to open areas (thin roof), and overhead mountain. By having areas inside of undiscovered mountain that are different colors/textures than the overhead mountain, you're giving away the open areas.

Thirite: I'll have to check that out; I hadn't seen that one.

schizmo

I have mined out PLENTY of tiles that had thin roof or no roof in the interior of a mountain so I don't know what you are talking about.

Quazimojojojo

Perhaps rather than graphically representing the entire mountain, represent only the nearest unobscured tiles with the unique graphic? The rest follows the normal fog rules. Or is that what you were trying to say Schizmo? You can see that there's a mountain, but the hidden areas within are obscured until you start digging into the mountain.

DariusWolfe

...yes, no roof spots, and their adjacent thin roof spots inside of mountains exist. They're supposed to be discovered, which is why a a semi-recent minor update fixed the bug where rain would reveal these areas. Having them shown with different colors or graphics before they're discovered would defeat the whole point.

The point of this discussion is to easily discern which tiles have overhead mountain, and which do not, but BlackSmokeDMax pointed out that you wouldn't want this system to reveal hidden areas within the mountains, so I suggested that such areas would have the same "overhead mountain" indicator as the tiles around them until they were discovered.

schizmo

Quote from: DariusWolfe on January 05, 2017, 06:43:20 PM
...yes, no roof spots, and their adjacent thin roof spots inside of mountains exist. They're supposed to be discovered, which is why a a semi-recent minor update fixed the bug where rain would reveal these areas. Having them shown with different colors or graphics before they're discovered would defeat the whole point.

The point of this discussion is to easily discern which tiles have overhead mountain, and which do not, but BlackSmokeDMax pointed out that you wouldn't want this system to reveal hidden areas within the mountains, so I suggested that such areas would have the same "overhead mountain" indicator as the tiles around them until they were discovered.

I guess I fail to see the point of leaving them undiscovered because it seems obvious to me that they should and would be visible. Not every area within a mountain with a thin/no roof is an open area, I'm doing a test at this very moment and I have uncovered more thin/no roof areas that are full of rock than I have that are empty caverns. So to my mind revealing this information affects very little and isn't worth hiding from the player.

Maybe I'm just missing the point, but I still stand by my opinion that overhead mountains and rock roofs should at all times look visually different. The player still has no indication as to whether or not the thin/no roof area is empty or not, so they still have to do the leg work either way.

DariusWolfe

QuoteNot every area within a mountain with a thin/no roof is an open area

Okay, obviously we're not agreeing on what "open area" means.

Area with no roof = open area. Open areas are meant to be hidden until they're discovered. There's even a little celebratory pop-up and everything. Having the roof of such an area be easily discernible from overhead mountain completely defeats this point, and it's evident by the fix that I mentioned before that Tynan doesn't want these areas visible before they're discovered.