A16 Blue Screen of Death

Started by llunauk, January 04, 2017, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llunauk

Hello!

Since the last update after a hour or so of playing I get a blue screen of death.  I can play GTA V all day or other games and have zero problems but as soon as I play Rimworld I know It'll happen.  It's happened everytime I've played in my last 5 sessions.

I do realise it could be a hardware problem that Rimworld specifically taps into, or a dodgy mod maybe but hopefully we can narrow it down.  I've run a memtest and my RAM seems fine.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:   2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:   124
BCP1:   0000000000000000
BCP2:   FFFFFA80072F1028
BCP3:   00000000B672C000
BCP4:   0000000000000135
OS Version:   6_1_7601
Service Pack:   1_0
Product:   256_1

Maybe a crashdump file would help? I've no idea how to get the data from one though!

nccvoyager

First, could you provide a output log file?
QuoteLog File
Posting a log file means uploading the log RimWorld generated. Here's where to find it:
Windows (Steam): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\output_log.txt
Windows (non-Steam): RimWorld####Win\RimWorld####Win_Data\output_log.txt
Mac (Steam): Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Mac (non-Steam): /Users/[your user name]/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Linux (Steam): /home/<UserName>/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log
Note: You must run RimWorld from the console or the log file will not be created.  If you don't run RimWorld from the console, you may find the log at /tmp/rimworld_log
Linux (non-Steam): /home/[your user name]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log

Second, are you running the Steam version, or the DRM-free version?

llunauk

I am running the Steam version.  Maybe that was my mistake lol

nccvoyager

Not necessarily the issue.
I ask only because it could help diagnose the actual issue.
(There have been a few similar issues I have seen, and had, with Unity-based games and the Steam platform to-date.)

In any case, could you please upload a copy of the output log file?
If you do, it may help diagnose the issue.

llunauk

I have changed the way windows works so it changes the format of the .dmp file so I can copy and paste it here for the next blue screen.  When I'm home from work I will play Rimworld and get a fresh one.  :D

Calahan

So you mean RimWorld doesn't create a log file? or does the log file somehow get erased when the game goes BSOD? I think Tynan (and possibly the Unity devs) would be interested to hear of a reproducible scenario where the log file was getting deleted.

Although are you sure you've checked the correct directory for the log file? Please can you check again, and see nccvoyager's post for details of the exact location. Or the following thread. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

I can't recall anyone saying the game didn't create, or deleted, their log file entirely after a crash before. So this would be a first (for me) if so.

llunauk

Ok I got my Blue Screen of Death and found this file in the Rimworld files, I'm working well above my paygrade here but I hope its what your looking for... I have no idea why it does this or if its a game problem or just some computer issue I have.  Hopefully we can narrow it down some.  :)

Initialize engine version: 5.4.1f1 (649f48bbbf0f)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 21.19.137.1]
    Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
    Vendor:   ATI
    VRAM:     2027 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1 ATOC=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.334 seconds
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.320515 ms
RimWorld 0.16.1393 rev536

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Non platform assembly: data-1684AA78 (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library Z:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldWin_Data/Mono/data-1684AA78.dll
Non platform assembly: data-16871740 (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library Z:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldWin_Data/Mono/data-16871740.dll
Non platform assembly: data-168C9748 (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library Z:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldWin_Data/Mono/data-168C9748.dll
XML error: <plantsDestroyWithMe>true</plantsDestroyWithMe> doesn't correspond to any field in type BuildingProperties.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

XML error: <plantsDestroyWithMe>true</plantsDestroyWithMe> doesn't correspond to any field in type BuildingProperties.

Could not find a type named HydroponicsBasinWithOwnSunLamp.CompGlowerOnSelf

Could not find a type named HydroponicsBasinWithOwnSunLamp.CompGlowerOnSelf

Non platform assembly: data-18F40048 (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library Z:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldWin_Data/Mono/data-18F40048.dll
Platform assembly: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-18F58988 (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library Z:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldWin_Data/Mono/data-18F58988.dll
Initiated Alien Pawn Detours.

Spawn method detoured!

Orassan injected.

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 1.443487 ms

Unloading 23 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 7813.
Total: 41.419594 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.336420 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.537445 ms MarkObjects: 40.487427 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.056707 ms)

Loading game from file Medics with mods Core, Additional Joy Objects, 735106432, 725956940, 705924057, 822470192, 784370602, 749150111, 730854291, 725465444, 725623521, 733113011, 725949967, and 830221184

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 14141.
Total: 511.258118 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.303949 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.151668 ms MarkObjects: 508.714630 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.086972 ms)

Trying to put player-sells price above player-buys price for MealLavish407900

Tried to release Thing_RawPotatoes409863 that wasn't reserved by Kerri.

JobDriver threw exception in initAction. Pawn=Svejgaard, Job=TendPatient A=Thing_WolfArctic172376, Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.AI.Toils_Haul+<CheckForGetOpportunityDuplicate>c__AnonStorey41C.<>m__67D () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.JobDriver.TryActuallyStartNextToil () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Geyser spray sustainer still playing after 1000 ticks. Force-ending.

llunauk

There may have been some confusion about the .dmp file.  I was thinking about the Windows .dmp file after a BSOD.  Anyway there is the game file that got saved.  Hope that helps and clears things up some.  :)

StevenKlein

Just bought the game, and I am also getting a BSOD just after creating a world.  I have an i7, 980GTX, win10, 16mb ram.  I've tried uninstalling, deleting folders, deleting registry entries but am still having the problem.  My output log file is as follows:

Initialize engine version: 5.4.1f1 (649f48bbbf0f)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 21.21.13.7633]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     3072 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.044 seconds
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.050879 ms
RimWorld 0.16.1393 rev536

Mods config data is from build -1 while we are at build 1393. Resetting.

llunauk

Anybody want to take a stab at what the problem might be? I'd like to play Rimworld again.   :-[

nccvoyager

@llunauk, I apologize for the long wait. The weather is not so great here, and I cannot get internet where I live. As such, I have to drive into town and sit at or outside a coffee shop to use internet.
As such, any further assistance from myself may be greatly delayed.

Unfortunately, the output_log file does not provide information regarding a STOP error in this case.
There are several errors in the log that may regard mods.
These mods could be causing RimWorld to keep using more memory until, eventually, a STOP error is produced due to an Out Of Memory issue, or a defect in a RAM bank.
Unfortunately, I cannot tell which mods.

A 0x124 STOP error code is thrown for, effectively, any "unknown" hardware failure.
Since you ran a memory test, there are other possibilities.
If you have an older CPU (more than 2 years realistically,) it is likely that overheating is the cause of the issue.
I would suggest ensuring that your CPU fan is still functioning correctly, and that you replace the thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink. (I would suggest a professional do that.)
(I myself replaced my thermal paste for my 10-year-old Phenom II X3. Lowered my average running temperature from 70C to 40C.)

Pother possibilities include bad hard drive sectors, loss of disk cohesion on an older hard disk drive, an abnormality in the CPU or GPU running, (likely to be caused by overclocking or low system power availability like a PSU failure,) or overheating of the CPU or GPU.
Run a check disk, and clean any dust from the interior of your computer.
While the computer is opened, ensure that all fans are functioning, and upon closing the computer, make sure all fans are not blocked by walls, boxes, or the sides of furniture.
If the issue occurs again, (if you have over-clocking software,) set any over-clocking software to under-clock your CPU and see if the issue occurs again.
If it does, repeat the process with GPU clocking software. (If applicable.)
If so, the cause is likely overheating, low voltage availability, or abnormalities in running.

Unfortunately, diagnosing a 0x124 STOP error is a time-consuming process.

@StevenKlein, could you provide the error code shown on the STOP (bluescreen event) error screen?

Also, just as a suggestion, make sure that all of your DirectX installations are up to date.
You are running WinX, yet Unity defaulted to DX9.
This implies, to me at least, that there may be something wrong with the redistributable packages on your system.

llunauk

Thanks for getting back to me and having a crack at figuring out the problem.

I very recently did a deep clean of my computer, replacing the thermal paste and removing every tiny piece of dust vs the fortnightly clean of a brush, vacumn and air spray approach.  Drivers are OCD'ly up todate and the computer and such itself is pretty high spec but I realize a game like Rimworld can really push a system.

Going to try a new game, fresh install that'll be run mod free and see if that makes any difference in the next few days.  Not quite ready to go down the hardware road because its upgraded quite a lot and frequently.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help and hopefully we can narrow down the cause.  :)

milon

I was actually going to suggest checking the Windows logs for overheating, but if that's your problem, hopefully you've got it fixed now.  (You can still check anyway - run Event Viewer, and look at Windows Logs -> System section.  Scroll through the list looking for errors and see what you find.  You could also Filter and exclude the Information events, but it takes Windows a while to process that.)

RimWorld is slightly unique in that it's CPU-heavy and GPU-light, which is why you may be able to play other system-intensive games  for hours without problem and still potential have an overheating issue while running RimWorld.  It actually happened to me a while back.  :D

Anyway, let us know how it turns out!

llunauk

hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe come up in my windows crash logs after the BSODs in red with my BlueScreenView mini dump reader program.  Not sure if that helps any or points to anything more specific but I thought I'd throw it up here.  :)

milon

You probably know this, but ntoskrnl is the core of the OS itself.  That doesn't really point to anything specific other than the OS failed for some reason.  (Hence the BSOD) :)

The HAL file (Hardware Abstraction Layer) being involved could be non-specific, but it makes me think there's either a hardware or a driver issue going on.  But I'm no Windows kernel expert, so take this with a grain of salt.  :)

I still suggest checking Event Viewer and see what got recorded in System (and maybe Applications too).