[A16] Camping Stuff v0.2.3

Started by Nandonalt, January 04, 2017, 08:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 23, 2018, 10:10:20 PM
Any chance of the portable stove being improved? Most of the time im using campfire to make 4x meatballs, and the stove only has 2 recipes plus uses chemfuel. Kinda feel it should be buffed to at least do bulk meals?

I can help you add recipes to any workstation if you need you can message me on Discord. Mind you, you will need to already have the recipes in either the base game, or a mod that will be loaded before the one we modify, because I am too lazy to make a proper patch but not that lazy that I won't help you add in a recipe ;)

Mr_Man

Quote from: Alias on December 29, 2017, 04:34:26 PM
I promised I'd update, but Vaniat beat me to the workshop (by 2 days). I also rather liked the butchering spot, so I added it back (or rather didn't remove it).

GitHub link: GitHub

Someone should update the OP with this link.

Alias

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 18, 2018, 03:39:47 AM

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 13, 2018, 07:37:50 AM
Quote from: Ruisuki on February 13, 2018, 03:10:08 AM
Quote from: Alias on February 12, 2018, 09:47:25 AM
Quote from: Ruisuki on February 12, 2018, 03:00:38 AM
is there a point to sleeping bags since I think b18 added sleeping rolls??
Nope, that's why they were removed in the b18 version. I forgot to change the mod description when I updated it, but its fixed now.
I still see them. Zip folder says b18 v0.2.3-masterzip

They exist as textures but I didn't see any evidence of them existing in my defs when I browsed over them. Are we all using the same version?
I see the sleeping bag(upside down) when looking under the furniture tab but havent tried to build it. More troubling is the portable stove which just seems to eat up my resources after being built and disappearing.

edit: i managed to get the stove to appear after uninstalling, deleting and reextracting then reinstalling the mod at least

I left the texture in case I decided that I wanted to reuse it or patch it over the existing bedroll. Otherwise the code does not touch bedrolls/ sleeping bags.

If the portable stove is having issues/ needs recipes, I can take a look when I find a second to.

Quote from: Mr_Man on February 24, 2018, 12:25:31 AM
Quote from: Alias on December 29, 2017, 04:34:26 PM
I promised I'd update, but Vaniat beat me to the workshop (by 2 days). I also rather liked the butchering spot, so I added it back (or rather didn't remove it).

GitHub link: GitHub

Someone should update the OP with this link.
I updated my original post with the b18 link, but as far as Nandonalt's post, he hasn't been super active lately...

Alias

Any chance of the portable stove being improved? Most of the time im using campfire to make 4x meatballs, and the stove only has 2 recipes plus uses chemfuel. Kinda feel it should be buffed to at least do bulk meals?

Ruisuki, What mod are you using that adds meatballs and what recipes would you like to see added to the stove?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Alias on March 02, 2018, 12:18:49 PM
Ruisuki, What mod are you using that adds meatballs and what recipes would you like to see added to the stove?

I'm not completely sure, but I would guess either Vegetable Garden, or GouRIMet.

Ruisuki

Quote from: Alias on March 02, 2018, 12:18:49 PM

Yeah harry got it, gourimet is what im using for meatballs. Its got the same nutrition as pemmican but the bulk option costs you 40 meat. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27860.0

Hmmm well I'd say itd have to be weaker than a stove still, but I think it should be stronger than whats available in a campfire, to give incentive to use it instead.. Though I'd be content if it carried the same of whats available for the campfire but with the option of cooking in bulk. Then again if you have any ideas to create new recipes exclusively for the campfire that'd be good too.

Alias

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 02, 2018, 07:43:47 PM
Yeah harry got it, gourimet is what im using for meatballs. Its got the same nutrition as pemmican but the bulk option costs you 40 meat. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27860.0

Hmmm well I'd say itd have to be weaker than a stove still, but I think it should be stronger than whats available in a campfire, to give incentive to use it instead.. Though I'd be content if it carried the same of whats available for the campfire but with the option of cooking in bulk. Then again if you have any ideas to create new recipes exclusively for the campfire that'd be good too.

Hmm, I think the original idea for the stove was to essentially be a campfire (that doesn't disappear when it's out of fuel) that you can pick-up and haul with your caravan. I'm not opposed to buffing it slightly, but I don't want to force bulk meals on players who don't want them, so I can do one of two things:
1. Add a conditional x-path to patch in bulk meals if there is a mod that puts bulk meals into play (Feed The Colonists, Bulk Crafting, Master of Cooking, GouRIMet, etc.)
2. Write the recipes in and comment them out, to be un-commented by those who want them

Canute

I don't think a portable stove is suitable for bulk meal's. Not very realistic that you can cook a large amount on that single heat spot.

For bulk meal's you need something like a mobile kitchen the army use.
But then you would need giddy up, to have a transport animal which can be assigned to that.

Harry_Dicks

Ruisuki we can always just add in recipes to whatever we want to. If you need help doing this in xml, I can help you.

Canute

And don't forget campfire is vanila, other mod's easyly can add stuff to that.
But the stove is a mod thing, other modder need to be aware of that mod, and create an extra patch or use modcheck to add campfire recipes to the stove.
But like Harry mention.
Locate the recipe you are mention at the mod, locate "Campfire" inside the recipe def and add another line like with Stove (you need to find the excat spelling for it first).

Harry_Dicks

This is post is mainly directed at Ruisuki, as he was asking about the portable stove:

Do just like Canute said. I highly, HIGHLY recommend you download and use Notepad++.

If you don't have any text editors besides the ones that came with your PC, then you will be doing yourself one of the biggest favors possible by using Notepad++ or something similar to it, if you plan to start tinkering with the mods you use. And to be honest with you, I think you are ready. With as much as you post on this forum, I think you are pretty familiar with most mods. Not saying that I am anyone to judge on who is or isn't "ready to tweak their mods", but rather I am trying to encourage you :) Because a lot of the stuff you post, might be little modifications that you can do yourself.

Anyway, like I said before, I'll be around to help if you get stuck with anything. Feel free to post here, but mind you that most responses will be pretty delayed. If you would like more instant answers, at least for the things I would be able to help you with, feel free to ping me on Discord. Link to my channel is in the signature. You remind me of how I was a couple months ago, wanting to change a lot of little things in mods. So I took up the mantle myself, and starting learning how the xml works and look at me now. I only started playing RimWorld in late October, and having absolutely zero education on programming or computer languages or anything, and now I've got my own thread with 10 different download links to updated and/or customized mods that I want to share with the community.

If you start to learn all of this stuff too, then I'm sure you will want to start making your own little mods for yourself. Overtime, a lot of these might grow into something that might even be worth releasing to the community! Who knows what others might like that you've created. Remember, not all mods have to be these huge projects with tons of content. Sometimes some of the absolute best mods in the world, things that have become must haves for me, are something that's very small and little, but makes so much sense to have once you've seen it. And sometimes those beautiful little 10/10 mods will have to come from a random user that doesn't even make any other mods, it was just something small that they thought of and built for themselves, but thankfully decided to share with everyone else at some point.

That could be you! You have enough knowledge and refined taste to know what you want out of the game. The xml really is not that difficult to start learning, and then you can start creating all of these little things that you'd like to see for yourself, right away! That is as long as it's something super simple, like you wanting to add in recipes to a stove, at least starting off.

No more having to ask a mod maker to include something, and then just hoping that they even read your post, let alone respond or even implement your request. And if it your request were to even be implemented, it might not even happen until the next update which could be months away!

Recipes are actually a great starting point, too! And then you just start browsing around other people's mods who have recipes, of course even the one you are going to want to copy from, also tweaking things here or there, adjusting some values to what you would like them to be, and just learning as you go. Just start browsing how other mods do stuff, and also check out the core defs. In Notepad++, I always leave the core folder as a "work from folder" thing that I can always open up all of it's sub folders and files in a tree/branch structure, which makes it incredibly quick if I need to see how the base game does some operation for reference. Plus, don't be worried about breaking anything. You won't cause any irreversible damage as long as we have proper backups made at proper intervals!

You should be able to find the recipe that you want to copy over, that is available at a different workstation (like stove or campfire or whatever) and then be able to find this recipe in the defs. In this recipe it should have a list of what "recipeUsers" it has, I believe, and you should be able to add in the camping stove. However, if that stove comes from a mod, and this recipe comes from a separate mod, then you are now making one mod "dependent" on the other one. You'll get a red error if you don't have both mods loaded.

To get around this, we can create a patch that will only load when both mods are loaded. We can make the patch only inject the bulk recipe into the camping stove if the mod from which these bulk recipes comes from is loaded as well. Or, we could just add in the bulk recipes into the mod that has the camping stove, so that you will always have these recipes when that mod is loaded, even if it's your only mod loaded. Or we could even create a separate mod that has only the recipes you want, divorced from the original parent mod, in case you only wanted a few specific things from said mod. That's what I've done to a ton of mods myself. For example, in Medieval Times, I have stripped out only the desk/writing system, braziers, street lights, hearths (I even added my own flame, it's even in the correct location on the hearths too!), the throne, art, and a few more things. But you could start doing all sorts of stuff like this for yourself as well, it just takes a little investment, but I promise you it's worth it, and others (or I am, at least!) are willing to help you learn this stuff! :)

Anyway, I feel like I've ranted on long enough. But it's only because I think I can see in you what I felt like I was doing a few months ago, and if possible, I would always love to see RimWorld's modding community grow by one more :)

PS - I wanted to say again, especially if you really do decide to start working on mods, which I really hope you do :) is that you should setup these shortcuts on your desktop, that I will post below. I have one folder that's just called a "Master Modlist" which is actually just "clean", or not-edited-by-me most up to date versions of mods. That way in case I go messing with some mods and I go too far and break a bunch of stuff and don't feel like taking a few steps back or whatever, I already have a fresh copy of the mod (that I just broke) clean and ready to go only a couple of clicks away that I can super easily replace my now broken mod with. And the HD'sFP is my own custom mod that I was referencing earlier. It has parts in it from about 50ish mods now, and I hope to release it someday. One of the last people that I'm still waiting on a response from is Vindar, the maker of Medieval Times, although he hasn't logged in to these forums in a few weeks last I checked.

But you will seriously save yourself so much freaking time if you mess with your mods as much as I do. It has probably saved me over a few hours at this point.

These are the shortcuts that are important to me:
Master Modlist (backups of all mods I have downloaded and the different versions too)
HD'sFP (my own custom mod that I am always working on, just put all of the little crap into one big mod to make it easier to manage)
Mods (because I am going in and out of this folder way too much)
Config (because this is an entirely different directory than the Mods folder, and just trust me that you will want this shortcut)
ModsConfig (because being able to edit this on the fly and/or add/remove/cut/paste lists through notepad++ is the way to do things, and not be forced to only change the list while in game like a plebeian)

Ruisuki

Quote from: Alias on March 02, 2018, 09:32:49 PM
Quote from: Ruisuki on March 02, 2018, 07:43:47 PM

Hmm, I think the original idea for the stove was to essentially be a campfire (that doesn't disappear when it's out of fuel) that you can pick-up and haul with your caravan. I'm not opposed to buffing it slightly, but I don't want to force bulk meals on players who don't want them, so I can do one of two things:
1. Add a conditional x-path to patch in bulk meals if there is a mod that puts bulk meals into play (Feed The Colonists, Bulk Crafting, Master of Cooking, GouRIMet, etc.)
2. Write the recipes in and comment them out, to be un-commented by those who want them
Whatever you decide is best. Im good with either option or new recipes just for the camping stuff stove.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 09, 2018, 02:38:40 AM
Whatever you decide is best. Im good with either option or new recipes just for the camping stuff stove.
Ruisuki will you ever take up the mantle of modifying these mods yourself? I've given you lots of advice, and offered a helping hand more than once. I am just curious, but if you like being able to change these things, wouldn't you like to be able to do so yourself instead of having to rely on others?

Ruisuki

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 09, 2018, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Ruisuki on March 09, 2018, 02:38:40 AM
Ruisuki will you ever take up the mantle of modifying these mods yourself? I've given you lots of advice, and offered a helping hand more than once. I am just curious, but if you like being able to change these things, wouldn't you like to be able to do so yourself instead of having to rely on others?
Maybe someday. I'll let you know.

Alias

In preparation for v1.0 (and now that I figured out GitHub releases), I have all moved all the camping stuff versions under one GitHub project. Those who wish to run older versions of the game can download the appropriate release from the release tab.

New GitHub: GitHub